Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

change in marital status and PR process

change in marital status and PR process

Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:28 am
Just Joined

ICAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default change in marital status and PR process

Hi Guys
Noob here. Got a quick question for the vets here. I am in the process of gathering all my documents for PR process and before i submit the same, i need to ensure if I get married sometime next year, that won't invalidate my application status. I won't add my spouse to my PR process necessarily. She would file her PR independently sometime later and may be we can move together to canada in 3 years or so. So as far as my PR application is concerned, i would be the sole applicant. the only change would be i would move from a bachelor to a married man.

If it is a simple change of intimating canadian visa office, i might go ahead but if that means i have to start my processing from scratch, i might have to think about postponing either marriage or my PR process. Could you guys help me out here?

Thanks
I-CAN
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:18 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: change in marital status and PR process

You don't have such option. You must notify visa post of any change in marital status (or any other substantial and material change) and add spouse to your application, accompanying you or not.

If you applied as single, get married and won't add spouse to your case then your visa will be invalid even if issued. Any attempt to use visa and land without disclosing fact of being married will be a fraud and gets you deported later for good.

Why you don't want to add spouse to your application anyway? Are you believing in some legends spread by misinformed that adding spouse will delay your process?

Anyway, you have no choice - you must notify visa post and add spouse to the process before visa is issued. If married after visa is issued but before landing then you must return your visa as it will be invalid.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

ICAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey
Thanks for your quick reply. Like you mentioned, i have heard that any subsequent changes to the application would delay the process. moreover, i was under the impression that adding your spouse to the application is like starting the process from scratch again and all the progress made before marriage would be lost.. isn't that true?

what is the process for letting them know about the change in marital status? does it mean i have to fill some of the forms again?

Thanks
iCAN
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:25 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it is not true - and you just confirmed believing in false info you heard somewhere...

To add newly married spouse you must promptly notify visa post about the fact and ask for instructions how to proceed. Process is simple, but some visa posts have their own requirements, thus asking for instructions is the way to go.