Wikiposts

Change in Marital Status

Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Jay99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change in Marital Status

Dear all,

Submitted my application last year in December 2004. It has been 8 months since then. Taken a look at similar applications and it seems to take about 24 months before the results are cleared.

Me and my future wife is thinking of getting married before the application results are out, and if that happens what will be happen to my application if i am accepted?

If we do not get married yet, I will have to go to canada on my own first, and how long after that can we get married so that it does not affect my landing? And only how long later can I sponsor her to come over?

Thanks for all your answers,
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

waitingforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change in Marital Status

If get married and add your wife to your application before it is processsed you will both get approval at the same time.

you cud land in Canada and then sponsor ur wife but then u will have to stay apart while her app is being processed unless you do inland processing which has its own issues.

pl. note if u get married after approval and before landing ur pr approval is void
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:18 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

*** Please read it very carefully ***

Scenario 1 - change of marital status before visa is issued.

In this case change of marital status must be immediately reported to visa post and spouse or common-law partner added to application, with all required forms, documents and fees. failure to do it will make your visa invalid the moment it is issued.

Scenario 2 - change of marital status after visa is issued but before landing in Canada.

In this case visa is invalid the moment you change marital status and cannot be used. Some visa posts (small minority) are flexible and allow for return of unused visa and addition of spouse, but most visa posts follow the rules and will tell you to start new application process.

Scenarion 2 - change in marital status after landing in Canada and becoming a PR.

Spouse or common-law partner can be sponsored at any time as long as sponsor is eligible to sponsor and lives permanently in Canada.

Originally Posted by Jay99
Dear all,

Submitted my application last year in December 2004. It has been 8 months since then. Taken a look at similar applications and it seems to take about 24 months before the results are cleared.

Me and my future wife is thinking of getting married before the application results are out, and if that happens what will be happen to my application if i am accepted?

If we do not get married yet, I will have to go to canada on my own first, and how long after that can we get married so that it does not affect my landing? And only how long later can I sponsor her to come over?

Thanks for all your answers,
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Jay99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very helpful indeed, Thank you Mr. Miller.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
*** Please read it very carefully ***

Scenario 1 - change of marital status before visa is issued.

In this case change of marital status must be immediately reported to visa post and spouse or common-law partner added to application, with all required forms, documents and fees. failure to do it will make your visa invalid the moment it is issued.

Scenario 2 - change of marital status after visa is issued but before landing in Canada.

In this case visa is invalid the moment you change marital status and cannot be used. Some visa posts (small minority) are flexible and allow for return of unused visa and addition of spouse, but most visa posts follow the rules and will tell you to start new application process.

Scenarion 2 - change in marital status after landing in Canada and becoming a PR.

Spouse or common-law partner can be sponsored at any time as long as sponsor is eligible to sponsor and lives permanently in Canada.