Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Chances of visa extension with this job?

Chances of visa extension with this job?

Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chances of visa extension with this job?

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
ITA = invitation to apply
ECA = education credential assessment

Number 1 work out for NOC code as that is what everything hinges on right now. Assuming it is skilled when do you have 1 year and how far off is your work permit expiry.
Well assuming the noc code thing is skilled (It would be B at the best)... then I'd be able to prove that type of work in canada for maybe 14 - 16 months come the end of my visa (may expiry) , 1 year contract at my current job ends in june.. but I clearly wont be able to keep working that extra month unless I just dont tell anyone

for the ECA, does that take into account the actual grade you got? like does that matter? or is it more to do with the type of degree it was , like a Bachelors degree from the UK etc.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
Well assuming the noc code thing is skilled (It would be B at the best)... then I'd be able to prove that type of work in canada for maybe 14 - 16 months come the end of my visa (may expiry) , 1 year contract at my current job ends in june.. but I clearly wont be able to keep working that extra month unless I just dont tell anyone

for the ECA, does that take into account the actual grade you got? like does that matter? or is it more to do with the type of degree it was , like a Bachelors degree from the UK etc.
When you were planning your IEC, you announced plans to cancel your insurance after arrival to save money, and were told what a bad idea that was (from post history). Please, for your own good, stop thinking the rules don't apply to you. If your work permit expires in May, working until June in a country you'd like to live in for longer is a really, really bad idea.

Educational assessment just reports what qualification you have, not what standard it was. If you do that, it'll come back as something like 'Bachelors degree, equivalent to a four year Canadian degree'.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said do not even think of working outside your permit. You would be making a federal application in which you may need to claim and provide proof of your work experiance. The idea that no one will notice one month is outside your permit is relying on luck and if caught you will remove any chance you had.

Now, you don't need 1 year of Canadian skilled experience with one employer just 1 year full stop. When will you have that? That is when you can apply to enter the pool.

Before then get your police checks sorted, your employment evidence, especially for any previous jobs, English language tests and anything else you might need. Only thing to not do till you have the ITA is medical
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
As others have said do not even think of working outside your permit. You would be making a federal application in which you may need to claim and provide proof of your work experiance. The idea that no one will notice one month is outside your permit is relying on luck and if caught you will remove any chance you had.

Now, you don't need 1 year of Canadian skilled experience with one employer just 1 year full stop. When will you have that? That is when you can apply to enter the pool.

Before then get your police checks sorted, your employment evidence, especially for any previous jobs, English language tests and anything else you might need. Only thing to not do till you have the ITA is medical
Yeah, I mean I suppose I'm just sick of all the ridiculous hoops we've gotta jump through.

Anyway, I have to check the NOC codes if I have enough time today, because that will depend on how long I can claimed "skilled work"

But thanks guys, I think I'll just make sure I start saving for the NZ visa as a clear back up.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I mean I suppose I'm just sick of all the ridiculous hoops we've gotta jump through.

Anyway, I have to check the NOC codes if I have enough time today, because that will depend on how long I can claimed "skilled work"

But thanks guys, I think I'll just make sure I start saving for the NZ visa as a clear back up.
So what type of hoops would a Canadian in your position not have to jump through if they were in the UK?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So what type of hoops would a Canadian in your position not have to jump through if they were in the UK?

I think you misunderstand... It's more that anyone has to jump through any hoops, irrespective of where they want to go.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think you misunderstand... It's more that anyone has to jump through any hoops, irrespective of where they want to go.

so you think that no country should require any kind of control over who enters their country, but allow just anyone to move?

I think you had better think that one through again!

Are you really an ideal candidate for Canada OR New Zealand ?!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
so you think that no country should require any kind of control over who enters their country, but allow just anyone to move?

I think you had better think that one through again!

Are you really an ideal candidate for Canada OR New Zealand ?!
This wasn't meant to turn into a character assassination to be honest, nor will I "think that one through again", but thanks for your utterly useless, & condescending input

Anyway, I do actually appreciate the help from others in the thread, it's food for thought at the least.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:32 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

This wasn't meant to turn into a character assassination to be honest, nor will I "think that one through again", but thanks for your utterly useless, & condescending input

Anyway, I do actually appreciate the help from others in the thread, it's food for thought at the least.
I get your irritation on that comment, it certainly could have been worded better but what did you mean about the hoop jumping? I'm intrigued. Entry into any country involves a massive amount of hoop jumping which we all have to go through wherever we are from. Do you just feel that there should be free movement around the globe?- That may create a few problems.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I get your irritation on that comment, it certainly could have been worded better but what did you mean about the hoop jumping? I'm intrigued. Entry into any country involves a massive amount of hoop jumping which we all have to go through wherever we are from. Do you just feel that there should be free movement around the globe?- That may create a few problems.
You'll have to excuse any mistakes in my reply as I'm hammered right now, but still, pretty much yes.

On a larger scale, don't you wish we lived on a world where free movement around the globe existed? Where there weren't silly man made constraints, imposed by what nationality you are.

I've never been a patriotic person or understand it because it just seems so mundane and nonsensical to me.

Obviously it's an ideal, and not practical probably at all... But still, dare to dream right...
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:47 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to excuse any mistakes in my reply as I'm hammered right now, but still, pretty much yes.

On a larger scale, don't you wish we lived on a world where free movement around the globe existed? Where there weren't silly man made constraints, imposed by what nationality you are.

I've never been a patriotic person or understand it because it just seems so mundane and nonsensical to me.

Obviously it's an ideal, and not practical probably at all... But still, dare to dream right...
L find it almost amusing, certainly intriguing how these "why can't I come to Canada" threads invariably degenerate into a debate about immigration policies?

The system doesn't suit me - therefore it's wrong! Could the population of Somalia up sticks and move to Salisbury? Or Kano in Nigeria packing its bags and descending on Bamberg? And then to expect to be educated, given healthcare and welfare assistance? Equally would Kano be expected to give the population of Bristol the same levels of healthcare and welfare they already have?

No system in perfect I agree, but to criticize a country's immigration policy just because it doesn't work for you personally is a bit naive.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
L find it almost amusing, certainly intriguing how these "why can't I come to Canada" threads invariably degenerate into a debate about immigration policies?

The system doesn't suit me - therefore it's wrong! Could the population of Somalia up sticks and move to Salisbury? Or Kano in Nigeria packing its bags and descending on Bamberg? And then to expect to be educated, given healthcare and welfare assistance? Equally would Kano be expected to give the population of Bristol the same levels of healthcare and welfare they already have?

No system in perfect I agree, but to criticize a country's immigration policy just because it doesn't work for you personally is a bit naive.
To spread a bit of humour he would probably be better off being a Somalian or from Kano as he could then make a refugee claim in Canada probably be granted protection and then apply for PR status.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
To spread a bit of humour he would probably be better off being a Somalian or from Kano as he could then make a refugee claim in Canada probably be granted protection and then apply for PR status.
I was laughing about this with a friend recently actually, that if I was an Asylum seeker, I'd have no problem getting into any country in the world, but as a Brit? forget it.

So Asylum seekers are more valuable than me essentially, always a good thing to know.

@RivingtonPike Also to the other guy, I don't feel like the thread degenerated... I was asked a question, so I answered it, the only degeneration was when that <snip> came in to try make herself feel better for 5 minutes.

I also don't think I said "it's wrong", I think I just implied that I wish it was different, don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 3rd 2019 at 4:45 am. Reason: Site Rule 1
Old Oct 15th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the miserable old crow ................

not that you know anything at all about me, so I'll let the insult fly over my head and not make any complaint about it

I did not intend to do a character assassination on you .........

I was, and still am, genuinely puzzled as to how anyone could expect NOT to have to jump through hoops no matter what country you are trying to enter.

And, in this day and age, it was a genuine question as to how anyone could expect to be a truly wanted person in any country if they were not willing to answer questions, provide photos, etc etc etc.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

With the greatest of respect OP, lots of us have tried and tried to help you work out your visa options for quite some time now. You are always vague, even in this thread with time running out you say 'last time I did the CRS test it was about.....' but that's not your score now - why not just take the test and give us a precise figure so we can help you? I've asked questions but you've not answered them, so it's very, very hard to help you.

I realise that you're stressed, and that you wish it were easier, but it's not. You probably do have a visa route that you could have applied for months ago, but because you're all over the place and aren't prepared to put the legwork in, you've lost time. I rarely suggest this, but I really think an immigration lawyer would be the way to go for you, I think some professional help could make the difference between you getting PR and having to leave Canada.

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.