Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Chances of obtaining a temporary resident permit after criminal inadmissibility?

Chances of obtaining a temporary resident permit after criminal inadmissibility?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

NicolaHAHA is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Chances of obtaining a temporary resident permit after criminal inadmissibility?

Hi all,
Hope you can help with my question! I will apply for my work permit soon to take up an academic position for 2 yrs Canada. I expect my application to go without a hitch , but my common-law partner will likely be refused on grounds of criminal inadmissibility (possession of a class A: please don't judge, everyone makes mistakes!). He was given a conditional caution 2.5 yrs ago- therefore doesn't yet qualify for rehab. If we apply together, he will also make me inadmissable- via "vicarious criminality", which I understand is designed to avoid me sponsoring him later down the line for permanent residence. So I will probably apply alone (I don't want to mess my job up!), and he will apply also by himself- he's a freelance journalist so kinda already has a job and can prove he'll be able to support himself financially.

My questions are:

Does anyone have experience of obtaining a temporary residence permit after being deemed criminaly inabmissible? We have no real humanitarian or compassionate grounds to argue on- just that we want to be together, and I don't really want to be in Canada without him. I really just want to know what our chances are???

Do you think we need to pay for representation to sort this out? I have contacted a Canadian Immigration Consultant, who has quoted us a figure of around $1300.00 CA- which we can just about afford to pay. If you guys think it's worth it though we'll just have to cough up!

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:53 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of obtaining a temporary resident permit after criminal inadmissibility?

did they offer you a guarantee for all that wonga? if not ( and technically they shouldnt have done) its a hell of a lot of money for a maybe.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Chances of obtaining a temporary resident permit after criminal inadmissibility?

No- I'd have run a mile if they had! However they did say they wouldn't proceed if they thought that either we would be okay without their help (they will inspect all our documentation and advise us if we do), or if they thought the application for a TRP would likely be refused. I guess it comes down to whether or not we trust them to tell us the truth- unfortunately we have little option but to believe them!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

cserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to allcserpent is a name known to all

Nicola, I'd suggest not just speaking to just 1 consultant if they're offering free opinion. Speak to a couple more (and I cannot recommend Andrew Miller if you find his info), different viewpoints can be invaluable in this situation.

PMM, Jim Humphries and Paul Wildy come to mind as good points of reference on this forum too.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Good idea- I'll do some shopping around, thanks for that

Also, if anyone has personal experience of this type of situation I'd love to hear your story!?