Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Chance of getting LMO as Auto Tech

Chance of getting LMO as Auto Tech

Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chance of getting LMO as Auto Tech

I'm trying to help my brother get some interviews lined up here for when he visits shortly.
He's an experienced mechanic in the UK, and I've sent his CV out to a number of garages/dealerships etc in Edmonton.
I've had a really helpful reply from one dealership saying that as there are Canadians available, they're not able to employ foreign workers... which seems to suggest they've struggled to get LMO's.

Any thoughts/similar experiences would be appreciated....

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chance of getting LMO as Auto Tech

Given that many Chrysler & GM dealerships have closed in the last 12 months I'll guess there's an awful lot of highly qualified Canadian mechanics looking for work...
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:55 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it against the law to seek work there whilst you're a visitor?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Isn't it against the law to seek work there whilst you're a visitor?
No. Perfectly legal to search for work whilst there, attend interviews, etc. Applying for jobs from the UK rarely works (unless skills are very in demand), so the majority of people on this forum have gone out there and done exactly what Jericho's brother is proposing to do. That's the best way to get a job offer, as recommended in the Job Hunting section of the Wiki on here.

It's only illegal to work whilst on a visitor visa, so as long as no actual work takes place until the LMO/TWP is obtained, it's fine.

Jericho - fingers crossed for him.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:35 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Can you go over there for a couple of weeks as a visitor after your approval has been granted, look for work and then leave and re-enter at a later date as a temporary migrant worker?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Can you go over there for a couple of weeks as a visitor after your approval has been granted, look for work and then leave and re-enter at a later date as a temporary migrant worker?
Sorry, not sure what you're referring to - when you say 'after your approval has been granted', what kind of approval do you mean?

You can certainly enter on a visitor visa, look for work and then return to the UK whilst the LMO/TWP are processed, before returning for good once they've been granted.

Does that help?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

Well if I'm granted a Bunac visa, can I enter as a tourist, look at the work situation and then re-enter a short while later and present my letter to immigration then and start the proverbial clock ticking as it were?

I have never really been to Canada before but I spent a fair bit of time on and off in the US as a teenager and in my early 20's so I know that the employment market in North America works very differently to how it does over here.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Well if I'm granted a Bunac visa, can I enter as a tourist, look at the work situation and then re-enter a short while later and present my letter to immigration then and start the proverbial clock ticking as it were?
Ah, I see. Sorry, didn't realise before that you were going on a BUNAC.

Not sure tbh, don't know enough about BUNAC visas but I don't see why not. But I do seem to recall that the same question has been asked before, will have a hunt and see if I can find the relevant thread...................
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:50 am
Sidecar Falcon

Well one thing to take into consideration I suppose is that I don't actually get the letter until Bunac release it to me and they want proof of a return flight out of NAFTA and health insurance before they will do that so I suppose if I were to hypothetically go before the letter was released to me then it wouldn't cause too much trouble.

One thing that I find interesting in this case is that the CIC do not actually touch your passport until you land, only photocopies of it where as the BIA still have my gf's now from her student renewal application and when I applied to America a few years ago I had to send mine to London and it came back with a ton of paperwork stapled to it.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, have had a hunt and only found this one............http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=bunac+visitor

I'm sure it's been asked more recently, but cannot find the thread!

Hope that helps a bit though.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:00 am
Sidecar Falcon

No that's really helpful, thanks mate, much appreciated.

Am I right in thinking then that this technically means that you don't need to present the letter to immigration on arrival and you could effectively enter as a visitor and then just present the letter to a CIC office whilst in Canada and commence the 1yr working permit from then? As that's what the second post there suggests I think.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 6th 2010 at 11:03 am.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

babypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jericho, Did your borther ever get his LMO and get over to you guys????
Just curious how it went? any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks Kelly
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I'm trying to help my brother get some interviews lined up here for when he visits shortly.
He's an experienced mechanic in the UK, and I've sent his CV out to a number of garages/dealerships etc in Edmonton.
I've had a really helpful reply from one dealership saying that as there are Canadians available, they're not able to employ foreign workers... which seems to suggest they've struggled to get LMO's.

Any thoughts/similar experiences would be appreciated....

Cheers
Not that long ago heavy equipment mechanics (large diesels etc) were in demand and could get the paperwork.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

babypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou Iaink, But was wondering if car mechanics were getting in as easily?? anyone know of anyone (car mechanic) who has got a job and LMO recently??