Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Certified True Copy by Notary in USA - Please advise.

Wikiposts

Certified True Copy by Notary in USA - Please advise.

Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:06 pm
Banned

kumar_2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certified True Copy by Notary in USA - Please advise.

I requested my personal banker in my bank who is also a notary for getting the documents notarized as true copies. He told me that he is not authorized to issue true copy certification by the state law (Michigan) and he is only authorized to take acknowledgments, administer oaths or affirmations, and witness or attest to a signature.

I found the statement "A notary public cannot certify or notarize that a record is an original or a true copy of another record." in the Michigan Department of website. http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...6350--,00.html

My personal banker suggested I could try my luck with "Currency Exchange". To my surprise they told me that they have notaries who can validate the original and photocopies and attest the documents as true copies.

I am confused whether I should go ahead and get the documents notarized as true copies from the currency exchange eventhough Michigan State website clearly states that Notaries are not authroized to issue true copy certification. Would CIC accept this document now and later on reject them may be during Background check?

If there are no other alternatives and the only way to get true copy certification in US is from Currency exchange ( I am not sure whether other alternatives are available in USA either to get from a Lawyer/Doctor ), I wish to take this path as a last resort. I wanted to validate would it suffice if we have a statement like "This document is a certified, true copy." or just "True Copy" in every photocopy document with the notary stamp.

I found similar topics in our forum, unfortunately I could not deduce the correct process for getting notarized true copies in USA. I believe I may have missed it in my search. I want to get advise from our USA forum users who were successful in getting this done.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

dijji is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Certified True Copy by Notary in USA - Please advise.

Originally Posted by kumar_2005
I requested my personal banker in my bank who is also a notary for getting the documents notarized as true copies. He told me that he is not authorized to issue true copy certification by the state law (Michigan) and he is only authorized to take acknowledgments, administer oaths or affirmations, and witness or attest to a signature.

I found the statement "A notary public cannot certify or notarize that a record is an original or a true copy of another record." in the Michigan Department of website. http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...6350--,00.html

My personal banker suggested I could try my luck with "Currency Exchange". To my surprise they told me that they have notaries who can validate the original and photocopies and attest the documents as true copies.

I am confused whether I should go ahead and get the documents notarized as true copies from the currency exchange eventhough Michigan State website clearly states that Notaries are not authroized to issue true copy certification. Would CIC accept this document now and later on reject them may be during Background check?

If there are no other alternatives and the only way to get true copy certification in US is from Currency exchange ( I am not sure whether other alternatives are available in USA either to get from a Lawyer/Doctor ), I wish to take this path as a last resort. I wanted to validate would it suffice if we have a statement like "This document is a certified, true copy." or just "True Copy" in every photocopy document with the notary stamp.

I found similar topics in our forum, unfortunately I could not deduce the correct process for getting notarized true copies in USA. I believe I may have missed it in my search. I want to get advise from our USA forum users who were successful in getting this done.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Kumar,

Just go to any bank and write on ur document with " this is a true copy" and sign it in front of Notary ( Bank officer) and he will notarize your signature. i am doing the same for Canada. may be u can follow the same.