Certified copy question

Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Certified copy question

Hello all,

I am currently in the stage of gathering the required documents for a Spousal Sponsorship Application (Outland).
I was reading the info about translating and certifying documents and was still left with some questions after searching the forum and looking at the wiki.

Most of my documents will be in Dutch so I was wondering what exactly a certified copy means? I read it on the above website but it's still not fully clear to me.
Does this mean that: for a copy of my photo identity card issued by the municipal government, that I go to city hall with my copy of that card and get it certified there?
And that for our joint tax notice, that I get them translated by a court-certified translator from Dutch to English, and then get the translation certified at the local branch of the tax administration? Is just a stamp or signature sufficient or do I need to add an oath with the sworn statement that they declare the translation is true?

Or do I get everything translated by a court-ceritfied translator and is that sufficient, so without going to all the local authorities (if he includes an affadavit)? Or does it have to be a notary? From what I've read, a court-certified translator should qualify. I know someone who does Dutch-English and he is a member of the local association of translators and registered with the court.

I assume the supporting documentation like utility bills, rental agreement can just be translated by a court-certified translator and that's enough. What about bank statements? Do you need a letter from the bank or is that optional?

I've read about the supporting letters from friends, family members that can be submitted as proof of relationship. If they were written in English by these friends or family, would that be okay and would they then not need any other certification? Do they need to add a sworn statement with their signature? Or does it need to be a full affadavit, so sworn before a notary public?

Thanks in advance for taking a look at these questions.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 2:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certified copy question

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=018&top=4

What language should my supporting documents be in?

Unless we tell you otherwise, all supporting documents must be in English or French.

If it is not in English or French, you must send it with:
  • the English or French translation and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document
The hyperlinks give a full explanation of 'certified' etc.,

Old Jun 9th 2020, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Siouxie, I actually wanted to include that hyperlink in my post but I can't post URL's yet (5 post limit for new users).
I did read it and still had some questions. I thought maybe British citizens with documents in a different language could outline which exact steps they took to certify and translate their documents.
I know this would be different for the UK and Belgium, but it would give me an idea of what to do. There's a different procedure for legalization and certifying a copy so I was reading into that as well as to not get them mixed up (I have had to get our marriage certificate legalized in the past so know how that works). I think it's like this:

Get a certified copy from city hall for certain documents (excerpt from civil registry with my marriage status for example).
Make a photocopy myself for other documents (ID card for example).
Get them translated by a translator certified by a court who is a member of the association of translators.
Get these copies and translations certified at local city hall with a stamp and a declaration that they're true and certified copies.

For tax documents I think the tax authorities need to stamp it. Not fully sure on that. I'll ask.

I hope that's correct. I will inquire locally but I have to admit city hall's knowledge of procedures and legislation is pretty poor, I have had a lot of roadblocks in the past getting our marriage certificate recognized here.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antwerp_Belgian
Thanks Siouxie, I actually wanted to include that hyperlink in my post but I can't post URL's yet (5 post limit for new users).
I did read it and still had some questions. I thought maybe British citizens with documents in a different language could outline which exact steps they took to certify and translate their documents.
I know this would be different for the UK and Belgium, but it would give me an idea of what to do. There's a different procedure for legalization and certifying a copy so I was reading into that as well as to not get them mixed up (I have had to get our marriage certificate legalized in the past so know how that works). I think it's like this:

Get a certified copy from city hall for certain documents (excerpt from civil registry with my marriage status for example).
Get them translated by a translator certified by a court who is a member of the association of translators.
Get these copies and translations certified at local city hall with a stamp and a declaration that they're true and certified copies.

For tax documents I think the tax authorities need to stamp it. Not fully sure on that. I'll ask.

I hope that's correct. I will inquire locally but I have to admit city hall's knowledge of procedures and legislation is pretty poor, I have had a lot of roadblocks in the past getting our marriage certificate recognized here.
For Brits (ie the practice in Britain) for certified copies is to take your original documents to a solicitor (lawyer) or a 'commissioner for oaths' (all solicitors are anyway) who makes the copy then writes sonewhere on the copy 'I certify this to be a true and accurate copy of the original', then sign and date it (often with job title) and apply their business rubber stamp. I cant comment from personal experience of translations, but the links already provided describe this.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I had a few documents translated from Spanish to English for my PR application. I used a professional translator who was able to do the whole process in house but it included.

a copy of my original document which was certified as a true copy by a notary. The translation of the document along with the affidavit signed in the presence of the notary and a copy of the translators credentials.

strongly suggest you look a translation service specializing in immigration documents.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point

1. You have the original Dutch document translated.
2. You get the translator to swear an affidavit that it is an accurate translation
3. You take the original Dutch document to a lawyer who makes a certified copy.

You keep the original Dutch document. You submit the translation, the affidavit and the certified copy. - note: make sure to keep copies of all these for your records.

Also check your local Canadian consulate/embassy. The one in Hong Kong offers a service to pre-check your submission pack before sending it. We didn't realise and sent ours, complete with a stupid mistake... it was sent back. Given the delays due to Covid that has added at least 6 months (if not more) to the PR application process.

Last edited by unobscure; Jun 10th 2020 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the examples!
I've looked at the forms and document checklist again, and the country specific requirements don't list any additional instructions that they need certified copies.
The forms themselves and the document checklist just say "photocopies". When it comes to country specific requirements for Belgium, I just need to fill in an additional form "Travel history".
So it would just be the certified translations of some documents (police check etc). That's good, will be easier.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the examples!
I've looked at the forms and document checklist again, and the country specific requirements don't list any additional instructions that they need certified copies.
The forms themselves and the document checklist just say "photocopies". When it comes to country specific requirements for Belgium, I just need to fill in an additional form "Travel history".
So it would just be the certified translations of some documents (police check etc). That's good, will be easier.
I would send the 'original' of the police certificate amd keep a copy for yourself just in case. Otherwise, good old home made photocopies!
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

catweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unobscure
1. You have the original Dutch document translated.
2. You get the translator to swear an affidavit that it is an accurate translation
3. You take the original Dutch document to a lawyer who makes a certified copy.
In Belgium, certified copies are typically provided by local government administration. Town Halls will routinely certify copies, free or for a nominal fee. The "I certify..." stamp will be in the language of the Commune (Dutch, French or German), so it's important to have that stamp translated, too.

I'd suggest:
1. You take the original Dutch document to Town Hall where a certified copy is made
2. Translator provides translation of original document AND stamp on certified copy
3. You get the translator to swear an affidavit that it is an accurate translation
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

catweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond repute

If you request these in French rather than Dutch or German, then Canada will accept them without translation. This is easy for documents from Federal institutions. Not sure if your local Town Hall can do this, if its official language is not French.

Good luck.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, catweazle! That is actually the exact question I was wrestling with at this point. Is it the city hall stamp, and if so, do I get that first or do I get the translation first. That answers that question completely!
Yes, ideally I'd get it in French. But in Belgium, Dutch is the only and also the mandatory language of governance in Flanders and all documents have to be in Dutch. There might be a workaround for the police check by going to the provincial authorities (which have to provide a french version, I guess because they used to under federal juridisdiction up until 15 years ago). I'm currently investigating this. Belgian language politics, man. I won't bore you with the details
Old Jun 16th 2020, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Belgian language politics, man. I won't bore you with the details
Be grateful for what you have. It certainly beats having groups at each others' throats, rejecting the validity of The Other Team's core beliefs. As has been happening in a number of countries around the world. Please do not infer from this remark that I am either with the Red or with the Blue Team.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

all documents have to be in Dutch
Things like ID cards and tax documents are Federal, and can be obtained in French on simple demand.

For documents originating from Town Hall: officials there normally have considerable discretion, and can sometimes be persuaded to issue a document in another official language. It is important to get them to understand that these documents are intended for the Canadian government. And that you are not a French-speaking Belgian attempting to assert a claim regarding the universality of that language
Old Jun 16th 2020, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I don't know what your experience is with Belgium (Brussels, perhaps?) but they'd be violating the language law (https://www.docu.vlaamserand.be/node/12898) if they issue an ID card, official document or even an email to you in French if this municipality is in Flanders (excluding the small subset of towns that have facilities for French speakers).

ID cards are issued by the local governments as well, even if it is a federal matter. Living in Flanders, even as a french speaking citizen, you can't choose to communicate with your Flemish regional or local government in French, receive documents from them in French or get your ID card issued in French.

This is different for Brussels and for Belgians living abroad and for the federal government.

edit: A document issued in French by a government in a Dutch speaking territoriality could technically even be nullified and considered invalid.

Last edited by Antwerp_Belgian; Jun 16th 2020 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

That's unfortunate ! Do your ID card category descriptions appear in multiple languages? Or only in <local language> + English? It's been a while since I've seen one of these up close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.