certain income requirements

Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough
Default certain income requirements

Hi all.
I am Permanent Resident and would like to sponsor my mother in law (actually my wife will be a sponsor).
The CIC website says that we ( as a sponsor) need to meet certain income requirements to be able to be a sponsor under Family class immigration. But how big or small is that requirements? Where I can find this kind of info?
Thank you.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: certain income requirements

Originally Posted by garvard
Hi all.
I am Permanent Resident and would like to sponsor my mother in law (actually my wife will be a sponsor).
The CIC website says that we ( as a sponsor) need to meet certain income requirements to be able to be a sponsor under Family class immigration. But how big or small is that requirements? Where I can find this kind of info?
Thank you.
Google
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by garvard
Hi all.
Thank you.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/ip02-eng.pdf Appendix F
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, this area is relevant to us as well. We are a family of 5, in the process of immigrating (120 day letter rec'd & docs returned). We would ideally like to sponsor my OH's parents once we have moved permanently, however situation is that we are hoping to start up our own business, and therefore uncertain of income levels for first few yrs.

Re. "level of income". OH's parents have good funds themselves - does anyone have any good ideas as to how these funds could be used to become legally viable "income" for our application, or is this simply not possible?

Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by Canada Hopeful
Hello, this area is relevant to us as well. We are a family of 5, in the process of immigrating (120 day letter rec'd & docs returned). We would ideally like to sponsor my OH's parents once we have moved permanently, however situation is that we are hoping to start up our own business, and therefore uncertain of income levels for first few yrs.

Re. "level of income". OH's parents have good funds themselves - does anyone have any good ideas as to how these funds could be used to become legally viable "income" for our application, or is this simply not possible?

Nope, you are the one that is going to have to show proof of meeting the LICO. Funds held by the applicant (your in/laws) have no bearing.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

Nope, you are the one that is going to have to show proof of meeting the LICO. Funds held by the applicant (your in/laws) have no bearing.
Today I got an answer from CIC. Maybe it will be usefull

[Citizenship and Immigration Canada]
[Symbol of the Government of Canada]

Please do not reply to this email.

Date: 2010-02-01

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Call Centre. I am pleased to provide you with the requested information:

When you want to sponsor a member of the *family class, you must prove that you have an annual income that is at least equal to the minimum amount of income shown in the Low Income Cut-offs (LICO) table. This amount is based on your family size (i.e. number of persons in your family). On the date you sign your application, you must meet the minimum necessary income. Your income must not go under that amount during the processing of your application.
Please note that you do not have to meet the LICO for the following types of sponsorships:
· Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner
· Sponsorship of dependent children who have no dependant children of their own
· Sponsorship of a child adopted outside Canada or of a child you intend to adopt in Canada
To calculate your family size, you have to count:
· yourself and any spouse, common-law partner and dependent children, if applicable;
· persons you sponsored or co-signed for previously and you are still supporting (i.e. the undertaking you signed is still in effect);
· the person you now want to sponsor, including their **family members, whether they will be coming to Canada or not; and
· if you have a co-signer for this application, all persons he sponsored or co-signed for previously and that they are still supporting.

If your income is not high enough to meet the LICO, you may choose to add a co-signer to your application. Only your spouse or common-law partner can be a co-signer. Together, your combined incomes can be used to meet the minimum income requirement.
Please note that the minimum income for sponsors living in the province of Quebec is different. For more information on the Quebec Income Scale, contact the Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles.

*The family class includes your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependant children, adopted children or children to be adopted in Canada, parents, grandparents, orphaned relatives under the age of 18, and one other relative related by blood or adoption (as long as you meet the requirements).

**A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependant child or dependant child of a dependant child.

The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed information:

Description: Low Income Cut-off (LICO) - Table 4
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/5196E10.asp

Description: Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles
Address: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.asp

[Maple leaf][Maple leaf][Maple leaf]

You must give financial support to the sponsored person and his family members, if applicable, to provide for their *basic requirements for a specific length of time (i.e. for the length of undertaking). The length of time depends on the age of the sponsored person(s) and their relationship to you.

Sponsored person(s) relationship to you:
Length of undertaking:

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
3 years (from the date he becomes a permanent resident)
Dependent child (yours or your spouse's, common-law partner's or conjugal partner's) if the child is under 22 years of age on the day he becomes a permanent resident
10 years (from the date he becomes a permanent resident) or age 25, whichever comes first
Dependant child if 22 years of age or over on the day he becomes a permanent resident
3 years (from the date he becomes a permanent resident)
Any other person (i.e., your parents, your grandparents, your parents' dependent children, etc.)
10 years (from the date he becomes a permanent resident)

Please note that a change in situation (such as separation, divorce, grant of Canadian citizenship for the applicant, unemployment, financial status, etc.) does not cancel the undertaking; you are still required to provide for the basic requirements of the sponsored person and his family members, if applicable, for the entire length of the undertaking.

*Basic requirements are: food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements for everyday living. Dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services are also included.

Description: Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada - Length of undertaking
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/3900E2.asp

Description: Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada Class - Length of undertaking
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5289E2.asp

Description: Sponsorship of parents, grandparents, adopted children and other relatives - Length of undertaking
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5196E2.asp

When you sponsor someone, or co-sign a sponsorship application, you must sign a contract called an undertaking, promising to give the sponsored person and *his family members, if applicable, financial support for basic **requirements. This period begins on the day permanent resident status is granted and lasts until the end of the validity of undertaking
By signing this contract, you are also accepting to repay the government any social assistance payments (i.e. welfare) made to the sponsored person and his family members, if applicable, during the time covered by the undertaking. If you do not respect these conditions, you will not be allowed to sponsor someone else, or co-sign another sponsorship application, until you repay those amounts to the government.
Please note that a change in situation (such as separation, divorce, grant of Canadian citizenship for the applicant, unemployment, financial status, etc.) does not cancel the undertaking; you are still required to provide for the basic requirements of the sponsored person and his family members, if applicable, for the entire length of the undertaking.

*A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependant child or dependant child of a dependant child.

**Basic requirements are: food, clothing, shelter and other basic things for everyday living. This also includes dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services.

Description: Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada - What does it mean to sponsor?
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/3900E2.asp

Description: Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada Class - What does it mean to sponsor?
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5289E2.asp

Description: Sponsorship of parents, grandparents, adopted children and other relatives - What does it mean to sponsor?
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5196E2.asp

You could sponsor someone if they are part of the family class. This category includes:

° your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner who is 16 years old or over;
° your dependent children;
° the dependent children of your dependent children;
° your adopted children or children to be adopted in Canada;
° your mother or father;
° your grandmother or grandfather;
° your brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter who is an orphan, under 18 years of age and who is not married and not in a common-law relationship;

and

° any other relative related by blood or adoption, if you have:
° no *close relative who is a Canadian citizen, registered Indian or permanent resident of Canada; and
° no member of the family class you could sponsor.

*A close relative includes a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.

Description: Sponsoring your family
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...nsor/index.asp

As a sponsor, you must provide an original Option C printout of your last Notice of Assessment for the most recent taxation year along with printouts of all taxation slips (e.g. T4, T4E, T5, and T5007). You can get these printouts free-of-charge by contacting Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

If you cannot provide an Option C Printout and you have to prove that you meet the minimum necessary income, you will need to provide proof of satisfactory income during the past 12 months. Please consult the Document Checklist included in your application kit for a list documents you need to submit.

Description: Canada Revenue Agency
Address: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/

The information in this email is meant to assist you in understanding the immigration and citizenship policies and/or procedures. It is a summary of the information contained in the law. If you plan on consulting this email again at a future date, please visit our Web site to ensure that you have the most current information on our programs and policies.

For any further questions, please visit our Web site at www.cic.gc.ca or contact our Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m. local time).

If you are deaf, deafened or hard of hearing, or you have a speech impediment and use a text telephone, you can access the TTY service by calling 1 888 576-8502 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m. local time).

Don't forget about CIC's other on-line services:
° Download application kits and forms
° Inform us of a change of address
° Learn the status of your application.
° Tips for clients.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Please Note The information provided may change without notice. If there is conflicting information between the text in the email and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act or their regulations, the Act and/or Regulations prevail. This email was sent to you in the language of your choice. CIC Internet information is available in both official languages. The masculine form is used for convenience, it refers to both men and women.

Last edited by garvard; Feb 1st 2010 at 2:52 pm.