Is CEC my only option?

Old Nov 30th 2014, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is CEC my only option?

Hello everybody, long time no see! Just thought I would pop in to ask a few questions as you guys have always been super helpful.

I'm coming to the end of my 1st year of IEC and will be activating my second mid-December. My initial plan was to apply for spousal/common-law sponsorship next year, so I could stay in Canada permanently. But circumstances changed and that relationship came to an end in the summer. Obviously, my initial reaction was "I'M GOING HOME", seeing as the relationship was the main reason I came here. But after a few month's reflection, I've come to the conclusion that I actually quite like it here. My job is really really great, and I've made some really good friends here. Of course I also miss things from the UK (Cheese, bacon... Oh yeah, and friends & family, pfft ), but I think that it would actually be a huge sacrifice career wise for me to go back home.

So I'd like clarifications on what my options are.
  • I'm soon to be on my second IEC, so that's a no go, unless rules significantly change and allow a 3rd year (practically impossible).
  • I started working in Canada January 2014, in my current job.
  • My job is a contract position, with an ongoing end-date, but my boss has told me that I have a high chance of being converted to a full time employee in the next 12 to 18 months (It's all office politics type stuff). Of course, this is far too far away to take into consideration for any visa/work permit applications.
  • As a contractor, they will not apply for LMIA for me.
  • I work as a QA tester at a video games studio. I believe this is NOC 2283?

I intend to continue working at the same place in the long term, but because my job position is currently not permanent, I believe that rules me out for every option except CEC? (Please somebody correct me if there is something else that I am missing)

I keep trying the "Come to Canada" quiz on their site, but it matches me to IEC. Not helpful at all.

Now, I'm aware that EE is coming in January, and nobody really has any clue how that's going to change things. I would love to be able to apply for CEC now, but alas my 1 year work experience began Jan 2014, so I'm just shy of qualifying right now. I would just like to know that I have read all the options correctly, and CEC is (currently, depending on EE changes) the only thing that I'm eligible to apply for in my current situation?

Also, if any body can point me in the direction of any good information on EE, that would be greatly appreciated, though I'm assuming that CIC is doing its usual thing of releasing next to no information before the new rules launch.

Thanks for reading.

TL;DR: Read bulletpoints. Is CEC the only thing I qualify for?
Old Dec 1st 2014, 12:52 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is CEC my only option?

I'm no expert, but looks like CEC is probably the only route. Is there a reason, apart from not currently qualifying for CEC, that you don't want to use it? Are you just looking for something that would give a quicker route to PR?

From what I can tell of EE, it enters you into a draw to get an invitation to apply for the programmes, so for you that'd be CEC. Seems that you cannot apply for CEC unless they give you an Invitation To Apply (ITA), ie; you're selected. Hmm, you'd have to weigh up the pros and cons of EE then, as you could just apply for CEC and wait, or try EE, hope for the best (get an ITA), at which point you can then submit an online app for PR.

I'm guessing you have already done so, but if not, have a read of this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...immigrants.asp

Seems you can create a profile now, so you could try that, it might throw you back out as you don't have the year or more of work experience in Canada, but you can at least have a look at what it would ask you to fill out.

Last edited by sharkus; Dec 1st 2014 at 1:07 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply, sharkus!

I guess my post didn't really make it clear, but there's no reason for me to not go for CEC... It's just that I was unsure whether I had read all of the information on the other routes correctly. I just wanted to be able to consider as many options as possible that are available to me!

I'm curious as to how EE is going to work for CEC? A lot of the information given so far talks about trying to match up up with jobs, but as I already have one, I don't feel that's a good deal for me. Are they saying that you get a work permit invitation to apply on the basis that you take the job you're matched up to? This whole EE business is thoroughly confusing to me.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:03 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

CEC is now showing the cap has been reached for 2015, if this is correct start looking at the express entry points system.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbrown89
CEC is now showing the cap has been reached for 2015, if this is correct start looking at the express entry points system.
Where did you see this information (a link would be great)? Curious how it can show that a program is already filled up when the Entry system for it isn't even live yet?
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

According to the CIC website as of 26 Nov 2014
Total applications received towards the overall cap: 4,537 / 8,000
Canadian Experience Class – Number of applications accepted
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I was hoping you'd show up to comment on this. Your opinion is gold here.

What do you make of this?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11490553

I've been researching this all night, some people have been saying that CIC told them there's no spaces left, some people have been saying that CIC told them there's spaces left.

Basically it looks as though CIC.gc.ca AND CIC's call centre are currently unreliable.

Your two cents here would be much appreciated by a lot of people.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for this.

If it is indeed closed then it only applies to the current CEC, of which I cannot apply anyway because I don't have my 1 year experience yet.

I can still apply for CEC through EE when it launches in Jan.

I really feel for the people that were trying to nip in just before EE launched though.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acrylicus
I was hoping you'd show up to comment on this. Your opinion is gold here.

What do you make of this?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11490553

I've been researching this all night, some people have been saying that CIC told them there's no spaces left, some people have been saying that CIC told them there's spaces left.

Basically it looks as though CIC.gc.ca AND CIC's call centre are currently unreliable.

Your two cents here would be much appreciated by a lot of people.
I just found this on another thread and on another CIC webpage
Note: The cap of 8,000 new Canadian Experience Class applications has been reached. Starting January 1, 2015, all applicants must go through the Express Entry system. There will be no occupation lists or caps under Express Entry.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/cec.asp

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Dec 2nd 2014 at 10:29 am. Reason: Updated info
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

Right. This is what has caused all of the confusion.

Originally Posted by acrylicus
To clarify:

One of the more obscure pages on the CIC website claims that the CEC cap of 8000 has been reached:
Hire a foreign worker with Canadian experience

Where as the main page shows that 3500 spots remain:

I spoke to CIC on the phone and they confirmed that there was indeed 3500 spaces left. I confirmed with the advisor that they were using a source that wasn't simply from the CIC website, they confirmed that their back end system showed 3500 spots.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wonder if it's down to wording? They might have received a cap of 8000 applications, but that doesn't mean that they've actually been successfully allocated?

There will be no occupation lists or caps under Express Entry.
Hire a foreign worker with Canadian experience
I'm curious as to how this will apply to CEC? As you literally just need to get the work experience and pass a language test to be eligible... Seems as though there could be a big influx of people to get through this way.