Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CEC (Canadian Experience Class) or SW (Skilled Worker)... which route is better ??

CEC (Canadian Experience Class) or SW (Skilled Worker)... which route is better ??

Old May 12th 2008, 9:06 am
Just Joined

virtuallypresent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CEC (Canadian Experience Class) or SW (Skilled Worker)... which route is better ??

Hi,

I need your suggestion.

I have PGWP as well as the LMO.... and I qualify under both SW and CEC(with its current requirements) classes.

Which way should I be selecting, should I wait for CEC or go with SW class now?

Actually I am trying to ignore any US visits for Interview and I do not want to give the IELTS test again ....that is why i am waiting for CEC, but i am not sure when it will get implemented.

Please also let me know if you have any update on CEC (when they will gonna implement this class).

Thanks in advance....
Old May 12th 2008, 11:47 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CEC (Canadian Experience Class) or SW (Skilled Worker)... which route is better ?

Nobody knows yet when CEC will be implemented and what will be final requirements. If IELTS/TEF requirement is implemented then it will apply to all economic categories, thus waiting for elusive CEC won't save you from IELTS.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Default Re: CEC (Canadian Experience Class) or SW (Skilled Worker)... which route is better ?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Nobody knows yet when CEC will be implemented and what will be final requirements. If IELTS/TEF requirement is implemented then it will apply to all economic categories, thus waiting for elusive CEC won't save you from IELTS.
Thanks Andrew for your reply.

But I am also worried if I apply through SW class the processing time may get increase as well (as the CEC will be coming in this year in any case).

What do you think, will CEC affect SW applicants? and how much it can affect in my case...? Any idea...

I will also like to hear your suggestions regarding my case...

Thanks,
Old May 13th 2008, 2:59 am

Sorry, but I don't know details of your case, thus I can't even try to guess what you should do or what options are available to you.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Sorry, but I don't know details of your case, thus I can't even try to guess what you should do or what options are available to you.
Ok, But what do you think, will CEC affect SW applicants?
Old May 13th 2008, 11:14 am

Yes, CEC will affect federal SW class because it will take visa quotas from it.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, CEC will affect federal SW class because it will take visa quotas from it.
Thanks Andrew - so the idea of the CEC will be to give to people who are already working and living in Canada the visa before the poor buggers waiting in other parts of the world for a straight PR application ?

To the OP - is securing a job in Canada asap not a viable option for you ? This way you would hopefully be able to move out here quicker and then have the PR application expedited ?

Just a thought

Gaynor
x
Old May 13th 2008, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Thanks Andrew - so the idea of the CEC will be to give to people who are already working and living in Canada the visa before the poor buggers waiting in other parts of the world for a straight PR application ?
Seems it is the idea - those with arranged employment and/or with Canadian education, well adapted already to Canada will be getting higher priority than those abroad who either cannot or don't bother to find arranged employment in Canada. I don't see anything wrong with this idea.

Also if you look into 2008 immigration plan here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...n1.asp#table_1

and compare it with 2006 numbers (~105,000 visas)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...verview/01.asp

you'll see that for 2008 quota for federal SW class has been already reduced by about 30% (down from over 100,000 to a max of 70,000) and visas taken away were allocated mostly to PNP's and CEC.

So yes, all signs and numbers clearly show that applicants without arranged employment and not qualifying for CEC will not only continue having lower priority but also will wait much longer than they would if 35,000 visas were not taken away from annual quota for federal SW class.

If currently pending amendments pass and Minister creates new categories and priorities then some (those having skills and experience in occupations in high demand and good language skills) among applicants without arranged employment may get a boost, while others will be left to dry (if applied prior to Feb 27 '08) or will have their applications returned (if applied on or after Feb 27 '08).

Last edited by Andrew Miller; May 13th 2008 at 6:07 pm.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Seems it is the idea - those with arranged employment and/or with Canadian education, well adapted already to Canada will be getting higher priority than those abroad who either cannot or don't bother to find arranged employment in Canada. I don't see anything wrong with this idea.

Also if you look into 2008 immigration plan here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...n1.asp#table_1

and compare it with 2006 numbers (~105,000 visas)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...verview/01.asp

you'll see that for 2008 quota for federal SW class has been already reduced by about 30% (down from over 100,000 to a max of 70,000) and visas taken away were allocated mostly to PNP's and CEC.

So yes, all signs and numbers clearly show that applicants without arranged employment and not qualifying for CEC will not only continue having lower priority but also will wait much longer than they would if 35,000 visas were not taken away from annual quota for federal SW class.

If currently pending amendments pass and Minister creates new categories and priorities then some (those having skills and experience in occupations in high demand and good language skills) among applicants without arranged employment may get a boost, while others will be left to dry (if applied prior to Feb 27 '08) or will have their applications returned (if applied on or after Feb 27 '08).
The new ammendments are scary... will they be applied to regular skilled worker class or to all economic classes?