Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Cautions in the uk on police check for Canada?

Cautions in the uk on police check for Canada?

Old Aug 3rd 2017, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

feccy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cautions in the uk on police check for Canada?

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Actually, you do not need to have been arrested in order to receive a caution. You do, however, have to admit guilt of the offense in question.

https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/q562.htm

I would suggest explaining the incident, how you regret it etc., and you may want to mention that under UK law cautions are deemed 'spent' as soon as they are issued (see the 2nd link).

thanks for that, I did put in a covering letter, there were two questions, one on the main application, and one another form that must not be submitted yet, that were worded differently, one was have you been charged, the other was have you ever been arrested, so I put a covering letter in with the main application pack, and when the second form goes, I shall do the same but go into more detail using the link above, thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizball View Post
You can only have your DNA taken where 1) you have been arrested and 2) charged with a recordable offence.

Was your DNA taken?

To your dilemma about answering the arrest question. I would answer 'yes', then detail the caution.
+1 In the UK Police cannot take DNA without your permission unless you are arrested.

Typically before you plead guilty and accept the caution the police officer will 'arrest' you so that you have been informed of your rights.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

feccy is an unknown quantity at this point

the SAR came back today, it seems I was arrested, and cautioned, so it is a good job I was honest and put a covering letter in the initial application. They havnt requested the police check or anything else yet, apparently that comes next and goes with the form I have here completed, but told not to send till requested by Immigration, so its all good to go anyway.

Thanks for all the advice!