Cat to Canada help!

Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cat to Canada help!

Hi, i know this has been answered many times and i have run a search and called DEFRA but just want to know that i have got this straight!

Cat has been booked on our AIr Transat flight 14/9/06 she has been microchipped and is having her rabies injection on monday. I know she will need a fit to fly cert 48hrs before leaving.Is that it? just turn up at airport with all the paperwork?

would like a pet passport, so can i have the blood test done, take cat to canada and have someone send passport on to me? or can the blood test be done in canada and passport issued there?

My friend who emigrated said that you need to get DEFRA to send forms to your vets which i tried to do. The unhelpful man at DEFRA said no i just take the cat to the vets for rabies injection and then again 48hrs before we leave to say its fit to fly. So a little confused here.

when i ran a search someone mentioned an export health certificate from DEFRA had been sent to their vets. Any idea if i should be getting this??

DOnt want to get to Gatwick and find out they wont take my baby..sorry cat!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cat to Canada help!

Originally Posted by jempee
Hi, i know this has been answered many times and i have run a search and called DEFRA but just want to know that i have got this straight!

Cat has been booked on our AIr Transat flight 14/9/06 she has been microchipped and is having her rabies injection on monday. I know she will need a fit to fly cert 48hrs before leaving.Is that it? just turn up at airport with all the paperwork?

would like a pet passport, so can i have the blood test done, take cat to canada and have someone send passport on to me? or can the blood test be done in canada and passport issued there?

My friend who emigrated said that you need to get DEFRA to send forms to your vets which i tried to do. The unhelpful man at DEFRA said no i just take the cat to the vets for rabies injection and then again 48hrs before we leave to say its fit to fly. So a little confused here.

when i ran a search someone mentioned an export health certificate from DEFRA had been sent to their vets. Any idea if i should be getting this??

DOnt want to get to Gatwick and find out they wont take my baby..sorry cat!

Hi there, it's really confusing isn't it? My vet told me we had to get a DEFRA export certificate for our dog. Apparently it's new regulations for Canada, although some people on the board have been told they don't need them, so I can only tell you about our own experience.

The vet gave me the number to call. I called them and got from them a package which contained an application form to apply for Certificate 2923EHC (15/06/2006) ("Export of pet Dogs/Cats from United Kingdom to Canada").

Accompanying the application form was a set of notes 2923NFG (15/06/2006) entitled "Export of Dogs and Cats from the United Kingdom to Canada" which explains about the export certificate.

I completed the simple application form and sent it back to DEFRA who have contacted my vet telling them that they will receive documentation 10 days before we fly. We've made an appointment to see the vet then, who will apparently fill in the certificate and issue it to us immediately. There is no fee from DEFRA, but your vet may charge for completion of the form.

Hope that helps, I'd try ringing DEFRA again, ask for State Veterinary service and quote the numbers above - it's worth a try anyway.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Hi there, it's really confusing isn't it? My vet told me we had to get a DEFRA export certificate for our dog. Apparently it's new regulations for Canada, although some people on the board have been told they don't need them, so I can only tell you about our own experience.

The vet gave me the number to call. I called them and got from them a package which contained an application form to apply for Certificate 2923EHC (15/06/2006) ("Export of pet Dogs/Cats from United Kingdom to Canada").

Accompanying the application form was a set of notes 2923NFG (15/06/2006) entitled "Export of Dogs and Cats from the United Kingdom to Canada" which explains about the export certificate.

I completed the simple application form and sent it back to DEFRA who have contacted my vet telling them that they will receive documentation 10 days before we fly. We've made an appointment to see the vet then, who will apparently fill in the certificate and issue it to us immediately. There is no fee from DEFRA, but your vet may charge for completion of the form.

Hope that helps, I'd try ringing DEFRA again, ask for State Veterinary service and quote the numbers above - it's worth a try anyway.
Thanks a million, will try again. Doing a lot of head spinning lately!! why do they make it so complicated to understand?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Thanks a million, will try again. Doing a lot of head spinning lately!! why do they make it so complicated to understand?
You're welcome. By the way, it took 17 days from the date of our dog's rabies blood test to the issuing of the pets passport, so even given the time lag between the jab and the blood test, you may still have time to get it done before you go. If not, perhaps you could leave an envelope with your vet to send it on?

I feel as though getting the dog out there safely is the most stressful part of the whole emigration thing!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bethan2
You're welcome. By the way, it took 17 days from the date of our dog's rabies blood test to the issuing of the pets passport, so even given the time lag between the jab and the blood test, you may still have time to get it done before you go. If not, perhaps you could leave an envelope with your vet to send it on?

I feel as though getting the dog out there safely is the most stressful part of the whole emigration thing!

I cant bare to think about the poor cat on the journey up to the airport let alone being in the hold. She had a nasty experience when she was a kitten where we had to cut her out with an angle grinder (imagine the noise!) of a fix she had got herself into(slighty comical now but lots of tears at the time) she had passed out and looked close to death. Proberly explains why she is so scatty now! Anyway as you can imagine any loud noise freaks her out big time, cant bear to think how she will feel. More tears from me im sure when i part with her at the desk!

I have just been looking around pet relocation sites and have seen this:

1) An Official Export Health certificate obtainable from DEFRA if your pet is not vaccinated against rabies; alternatively your pet can be vaccinated against rabies and your vet must then issue a fitness to fly certificate from .
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

1) An Official Export Health certificate obtainable from DEFRA if your pet is not vaccinated against rabies; alternatively your pet can be vaccinated against rabies and your vet must then issue a fitness to fly certificate from .
Just to add to the confusion, your pet doesn't have to be vaccinated against rabies at all to enter Canada if coming from a rabies-free country such as the UK - if you don't have any Defra paperwork, customs can ask you to vaccinate the animal on your arrival (within a few weeks of your arrival they mean) and present a vacc. certificate at a later date. I brought an unvaccinated dog into the country last October with no problems whatsoever

...but I appreciate that's not what you're asking, and I can't help with the passport scheme, sorry!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Just to add to the confusion, your pet doesn't have to be vaccinated against rabies at all to enter Canada if coming from a rabies-free country such as the UK - if you don't have any Defra paperwork, customs can ask you to vaccinate the animal on your arrival (within a few weeks of your arrival they mean) and present a vacc. certificate at a later date. I brought an unvaccinated dog into the country last October with no problems whatsoever

...but I appreciate that's not what you're asking, and I can't help with the passport scheme, sorry!

Ohh right. so you entered canada with dog who had no paperwork ie:export health certificate and they were fine? i just dont want cat to end up in quaratine or worse refused entry or not being allowed to board flight in first place!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh right. so you entered canada with dog who had no paperwork ie:export health certificate and they were fine? i just dont want cat to end up in quaratine or worse refused entry or not being allowed to board flight in first place!
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/..._chat_1e.shtml

You either have an export certificate, or a rabies vaccination certificate. If you have neither, then they will ask that you vaccinate the animal soon after your arrival.

All that your UK airline requires is the fitness-to-fly statement.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/..._chat_1e.shtml

You either have an export certificate, or a rabies vaccination certificate. If you have neither, then they will ask that you vaccinate the animal soon after your arrival.

All that your UK airline requires is the fitness-to-fly statement.
Thanks for that. Im sure you remember what its like to have mush for brains before the move!