Carway Landing

Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Optimus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carway Landing

If i decide to flag pole at Carway, can anyone kindly tell me the documents required to take with me apart from my permanent resident visa.

Or if i choose the option to land at a local CIC office here in Calgary, do i just called the general CIC customer service 1-800 number to make an appointment or is their a special number to call for that option?

Thanks ya'll.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carway Landing

Originally Posted by Optimus
If i decide to flag pole at Carway, can anyone kindly tell me the documents required to take with me apart from my permanent resident visa.

Or if i choose the option to land at a local CIC office here in Calgary, do i just called the general CIC customer service 1-800 number to make an appointment or is their a special number to call for that option?

Thanks ya'll.
If flag poling then all you need is your COPR forms and valid passport. I highly doubt proof of funds would be asked for as you are already in Canada.
Do you have any goods to follow? If so a list is required for when they arrive.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If flag poling then all you need is your COPR forms and valid passport. I highly doubt proof of funds would be asked for as you are already in Canada.
Do you have any goods to follow? If so a list is required for when they arrive.

Thanks FL.

I have no goods to follow. If i wanted to do the landing at a local CIC office though, would you know the number to call or whats the process for that option?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus
Thanks FL.

I have no goods to follow. If i wanted to do the landing at a local CIC office though, would you know the number to call or whats the process for that option?
You could try calling the 1 888 242 2100 to see if they can arrange an appointment with your local CIC office. All CIC offices are now no longer walk in offices. You could visit it to make an appointment to make an appointment for landing
Dont even think of going to Calgary airport to do it unless getting off an international flight.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You could try calling the 1 888 242 2100 to see if they can arrange an appointment with your local CIC office. All CIC offices are now no longer walk in offices. You could visit it to make an appointment to make an appointment for landing
Dont even think of going to Calgary airport to do it unless getting off an international flight.
ha ha ha.......

got you.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:05 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I landed at Carway (I think it was Carway - yup the one below Cardston)

You need passport and COPR as has been stated.

I know myself and one other that landed there got a snotty jobsworth IO who gave me the gears about why I decided to flagpole instead of making an appointment at the office.

It wasn't until I read the copy of my COPR weeks later (I was bored) that it says that you should leave and re-enter to land. It then goes on to say "If you can't do that then you may make an appointment blah blah blah"

If i'd have read this before I'd have had something rock solid in writing to wipe the non smile of the jumped up little gobshites face.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I landed at Carway (I think it was Carway - yup the one below Cardston)

You need passport and COPR as has been stated.

I know myself and one other that landed there got a snotty jobsworth IO who gave me the gears about why I decided to flagpole instead of making an appointment at the office.

It wasn't until I read the copy of my COPR weeks later (I was bored) that it says that you should leave and re-enter to land. It then goes on to say "If you can't do that then you may make an appointment blah blah blah"

If i'd have read this before I'd have had something rock solid in writing to wipe the non smile of the jumped up little gobshites face.
For those reading this thread I don't work at Carway
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

bodger0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

another British expat here on an iec visa, currently residing in Calgary, AB.

As my current visa runs out at the end of the month, i'm looking into doing a border crossing at either Carway or Coutts by driving down.

Due to limited funds, we can't make a holiday out of it, so we are looking into "Flagpolling" at the border.
Would this temporary "refusal of Entry" to the US cause any problems further down the line if we wanted to visit later?

Does anybody have recent experience with either borders, and can recommend in this situation?

Also: Would we need an ESTA as we aren't technically entering the US??

To the original OP, I'm not sure if you can officially "land" at the offices in Calgary, CBSA only lists the airport, Carway and Coutts as border locations offering immigration services, so as far as I'm aware they are the only options for landing/activating a visa - I may be mistaken though.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:30 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bodger0ne
Hi All,

another British expat here on an iec visa, currently residing in Calgary, AB.

As my current visa runs out at the end of the month, i'm looking into doing a border crossing at either Carway or Coutts by driving down.

Due to limited funds, we can't make a holiday out of it, so we are looking into "Flagpolling" at the border.
Would this temporary "refusal of Entry" to the US cause any problems further down the line if we wanted to visit later?
It is an administrative refusal that shouldn't have an impact on future entry to the US, but at least one user on the forum has had issues, RICH I think, but the majority haven't had issues.

Does anybody have recent experience with either borders, and can recommend in this situation?

Also: Would we need an ESTA as we aren't technically entering the US??
You do not need an ESTA to enter (or in this case not enter) by land, only sea or air.

To the original OP, I'm not sure if you can officially "land" at the offices in Calgary, CBSA only lists the airport, Carway and Coutts as border locations offering immigration services, so as far as I'm aware they are the only options for landing/activating a visa - I may be mistaken though.
People needing to activate their COPRs can land in offices in Canada, though the waiting is often long.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 6:29 am
Just Joined

bodger0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BTJ
It is an administrative refusal that shouldn't have an impact on future entry to the US, but at least one user on the forum has had issues, RICH I think, but the majority haven't had issues.

You do not need an ESTA to enter (or in this case not enter) by land, only sea or air.

People needing to activate their COPRs can land in offices in Canada, though the waiting is often long.
thank you for the information BTJ, didn't think i would need an esta, but just stressing out all the details atm

With the I94 form, i would acquire that form at the crossing? or do i have to have one already before travelling, as i cant seem to find any info on where to collect one?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 6:42 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bodger0ne
thank you for the information BTJ, didn't think i would need an esta, but just stressing out all the details atm

With the I94 form, i would acquire that form at the crossing? or do i have to have one already before travelling, as i cant seem to find any info on where to collect one?
Unless you have an existing valid I-94W issued within the last 90 days you'll go through the following process:

At primary inspection (i.e. the CBP officer in the "tollbooth") you'll either ask to flagpole for Canadian immigration purposes or ask to visit somewhere in the US, he'll send you to secondary inspection (immigration building) either way.

If you are entering the US here is where you'll fill in a green I-94W form, pay $6US, get fingerprinted and photographed and all being well sent back to your car and you'll head on your way into the US.

If you are flagpoling, you'll be issued an administrative refusal, fingerprinted and photographed and sent back to your car with clear instructions to do a U-turn back to Canada.

Not sure you can get a copy of the I-94W online or not, but even so it wouldn't save you any time.

If you have a valid unexpired I-94W and arrive at primary inspection and the CBP officer has no concerns you are generally able to continue into the US without being sent to secondary.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 5:28 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The US border people are super nice at Carway, they'll send you into the office and give you an administrative refusal, smile and send you on your way.

I've been to the States a couple of times since, and this has presented no problems whatsoever (unlike the the Canadian BSO's who like to give me the stern talking to about still not having my pr card when coming back home! )