carpentry supervisor, contractor

Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carpentry supervisor, contractor

hi i am a qualified carpenter to nvq2 standard, i was wondering what evidence you have to give, as regards being a supervisor or contractor? or do they even ask?
i haven't had much experience as a supervisor, although i was some years ago supervising some polish workers, but was not my specific title, also firm went into administration in the recession.
can i claim under this contractor thing , as i was self employed a few times and worked as a sole trader, also lots of cis work on sites,

all your help is much appreciated.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:12 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpentry supervisor, contractor

Originally Posted by fatpantsss
hi i am a qualified carpenter to nvq2 standard, i was wondering what evidence you have to give, as regards being a supervisor or contractor? or do they even ask?
i haven't had much experience as a supervisor, although i was some years ago supervising some polish workers, but was not my specific title, also firm went into administration in the recession.
can i claim under this contractor thing , as i was self employed a few times and worked as a sole trader, also lots of cis work on sites,

Hello again my friend
Well, as far as proof, if you worked as a sole trader, you can get a letter of statement of fact from the Inland Revenue that shows when you became self employed and for us, we did a letter on our letterhead stating what hubby did, his job title (essentially whatever we wanted it to be!) when we started and ended trading and I think we also followed it up with an indication of our gross profits per year.
As far as the firm that went into administration, we again had a very similar situation, had nothing to show for the employment period due to the company not exising anymore. So, luckily we had P60's for last 15 years, so I copied those as proof we were paid by them and then I made a statement of fact of what he did and where he worked, for how long etc.
Worked for us!
Lemmi know if we can help with anything else.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

hi,
thanks for the info, you have been of a great help answeringmy qustions,
man their so much research to be done.
hmm, i was a sole trader for a bit but it didnt really work out so i stopped didnt earn much, and went back to site work. will they check my earnings when i was a sole trader?

thanks again for your help
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:28 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
thanks for the info, you have been of a great help answeringmy qustions,
man their so much research to be done.
hmm, i was a sole trader for a bit but it didnt really work out so i stopped didnt earn much, and went back to site work. will they check my earnings when i was a sole trader?

thanks again for your help
No worries, I remember vividly how that feels
I think the key thing is to not leave any gaps in time that are not accounted for. That was one of the hurdles where we fell in our initial application, I had not accounted for 2 months of time for hubby's work - so they sent the whole application back and I had to start again.
If you worked say from Jan 02 to May 02 as a sole trader, cover that period with a letter and ask the Inland Revenue to show it - they were very good to us doing that. If you then took a month off, show May 02 to Jun 02 as job hunting or something - just account for the time. Then Jun 02 to Aug 2012 - employed by Super Duper Contracting Ltd - again, provide what info you can, make a statement if they went into Administration, but provide P60's or pay stubs to prove it.
Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

yess its of great help,
i was trying to go down the pnp route but it seems hard o find an employer that will wait, plus go through the application process.
so was think only way is fsw application.
but would prefer to go for pnp route
anways thanks again
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:10 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Hi, we have just gained permanent residency down the FSW route under the same NOC. the most important thing for us, was to mirror the duties listed in the NOC.

I would say that the first step is to look at the duties objectively and honestly and ask yourself the question, can my past experience fit in with these?

If it does, then you have the next task of evidencing it. One example of the lengths you might have to go to is when we couldn't evidence the experience my husband gained in is 3rd year at Wood Skool or wherever he went, as said institution didn't keep records past 10yrs, my husband turned up at his old place of education one day and established that a tutor working at that time, also taught him xxx number of years ago. This great guy agreed to put pen to paper on headed stationary, to evidence what we needed for this aspect. CIC wouldn't have been able to check up with Wood Skool as they don't hold records anyway, but they could've contacted the tutor himself.

I would just say, don't be naive and think they won't ask or check, it's their job to go through your file with a fine tooth comb. So if you expect them to do this and you're ok with that, then go for it.

It would have been a lot of money and heartache to attempt it on a wing and a prayer for me, I needed to know I'd done everything I could to have any hope.

Regards, Katie
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

thanks misskatpaw,
will go through everything carefully, as like you said its a lot of money to just waste, i get as much evidence as i can.
how long did it take to get your pr? and did you apply inside or outside canada?
thanks