Car not in the customs list

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

NathanS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car not in the customs list

Hi,
I am finally moving to Toronto next month from USA after becoming PR two years ago. I had initially thought of not taking my car to Canada, so did not list it in the items to import list. Now I would like to take my car if at all possible. I can prove I owned the car for last four years. Is there any possibility this can happen?

Thanks,
NathanS
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:03 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car not in the customs list

Not sure, you may have to pay duty on it. That's if the car is eligible to be imported in the first place. How old is it? Generally cars less than about 15 years old aren't allowed to be imported unless they have fairly expensive modifications done to them I believe.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

anitsirK is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to import it, but you may have to pay duties on it. Information on importing a vehicle is here: http://www.riv.ca/

The modifications you need shouldn't be too expensive -- you'll need to get the odometer and spedometer changed to metric. I'm not sure what else they require (probably depends on the car), but the information's all in that link.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. Appreciate your replies.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

What would be the approximate duty on 2001 BMW 325i with 76,000 miles? I am just trying to see if it's worth taking it. Appreciate any help here. Thanks.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:32 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

Hi. You probably figured this one out already, but just in case it's of any help... The car value they are going to charge you duties based on is going to be very high- according to the little book my 2 year old car was worth $200 less that what we had paid for it when new!!!!!!!! Still, we figured it would be cheaper than selling and buying a new car, you just can't win. Now, if you are almost ready to change cars anyway, it's definitely not worth importing the old car.
On a different note, I would recommend crossing in Sarnia, unless it's completely out of your way. The officers are very nice and really helpful there. They actually made an effort to find exemptions we were eligible for, so that the duties would be lower.
Good luck with the move! J.