Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Car mechanic moving from UK to Canada

Car mechanic moving from UK to Canada

Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

jeaniebean is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Car mechanic moving from UK to Canada

Can anyone advise please.....aside to all the PR/visa stuff.........how smooth is it to transfer from working as a car mechanic in UK to Canada...are there any additional qualifications required???
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:28 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car mechanic moving from UK to Canada

The mechanic must be able to pass as equivelancy exam in Alberta to be able to work as a time served mechanic. www.tradesecrets.org I believe. To be able to 'challenge' the exam you must be able to provide proof of hours worked.

Having a knowledge of the different termination for parts and tools would help.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Hi

This will depend on which province you want to settle in. I see you are in Alberta and I think they (like most other provinces) like you to have red seal. My husband is a mechanic and we were initially going to move to Alberta on PNP and he sent documents in so that the government could verify he had completed the required amount of hours in his field (which he did), so they sent him a letter approving this which would have meant he could have worked as a mechanic without getting red seal.

Check out this website for up to date information for Alberta

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/

Hope this helps
Helen

Originally Posted by jeaniebean
Can anyone advise please.....aside to all the PR/visa stuff.........how smooth is it to transfer from working as a car mechanic in UK to Canada...are there any additional qualifications required???
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Piff Poff beat me to it

Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Just to let you know, my husband got a book from Amazon.ca which gives the different terminology used in Canada. If you need any more info PM me.
He is revising before we land.

Helen

[\QUOTE]Having a knowledge of the different termination for parts and tools would help.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by rufus2000; Apr 16th 2009 at 10:58 am.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:39 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rufus2000
Just to let you know, my husband got a book from Amazon.ca which gives the different termination used in Canada. If you need any more info PM me.
He is revising before we land.

Helen

[\QUOTE]Having a knowledge of the different termination for parts and tools would help.
[/QUOTE]

That's a really good idea! Hubby just went and took the exam - treating the 1st as a 'mock' so he could see what he needed to know. He said there were a lot of welding questions and also a few mathematical things that he hadn't done since school.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

yeah it's quite a good book but there are quite a few similarities to english words my hubby said. but worth the revision!!

we are going NS now so need to see if he needs to sit exam there?

Helen

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
[/I]
That's a really good idea! Hubby just went and took the exam - treating the 1st as a 'mock' so he could see what he needed to know. He said there were a lot of welding questions and also a few mathematical things that he hadn't done since school.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

jeaniebean is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! thanks so much for the super-quick responses! I will forward links to my son ( he's on our PR app and hopes to move here permanently - WHEN/IF we get our PR!!!!!!!!)
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jeaniebean
wow! thanks so much for the super-quick responses! I will forward links to my son ( he's on our PR app and hopes to move here permanently - WHEN/IF we get our PR!!!!!!!!)
Is he fully qualified or still an apprentice? I only ask because if he is an apprentice the rules my be a bit different. Also there is a minimum amount of hours he has to have worked as a fully qualified tech to be able to sit the exam. He may find the exam easier if he hs recently done his City and Guilds.