Wikiposts

Car import when entering Canada

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 7:44 am
Just Joined

bfco is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Car import when entering Canada

I have got my Canadian Immigration. However, I am working in US on H-1. We drove to Canada by our car, for couple of days to complete the paper work and apply for SIN. At the border I was asked if I own the car. On answering yes, the Canadian immigration officer started doing paper work. Charged me $180 and imported the car. I told them I don't want to import the car at this time, as I will be driving back to US. I asked if I can have my car listed in goods-to-follow and import it later. I was told it is not possible as I am immigrating with my car. I drove back to US on the same car.

I was wondering if anybody has a similar experience and provide some feedback. Is ther any procedure to let the Canadian Motor Vehicle authorities know that I don't want to register my car in Canada at this time as I am in US? I am planning to be in US for a year or so.