Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Cancelling application and obtaining refund..?

Cancelling application and obtaining refund..?

Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

chutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nice
Default Cancelling application and obtaining refund..?

Hi everyone

we applied for PR in Oct 2006, received our 90-day update in May and asked for further information regarding my military career in June. However, having waited so long, we've decided it is not for us anymore. So my question is, if we cancel the application now - before we waste anymore money on medicals etc - can we get a refund for the initial simplified application costs?

We're not made this decision lightly - currently in Kamloops for a 4 week house exchange. It's our fourth trip to Canada - previously done 2 weeks to Calgary/Med Hat/Lethbridge in Spring, 3 weeks to Canmore/Panorama/Fernie skiing in Winter, and I did a 3-month ski instructor course in Banff this Jan to March.

Rose-tinted spectacles are firmly off - we have learned so much that reinforces just how lucky we already are in the UK. Enjoyed our holidays, going to make the most of this latest adventure, but definitely not emigrating now.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cancelling application and obtaining refund..?

you can easily find this out in the application guide. My guess is if you have your AOR...and they have asked for further info too.....your case is in the processing mode so you might not get a refund. I'd glad to be wrong here having not checked

Originally Posted by chutley
Hi everyone

we applied for PR in Oct 2006, received our 90-day update in May and asked for further information regarding my military career in June. However, having waited so long, we've decided it is not for us anymore. So my question is, if we cancel the application now - before we waste anymore money on medicals etc - can we get a refund for the initial simplified application costs?

We're not made this decision lightly - currently in Kamloops for a 4 week house exchange. It's our fourth trip to Canada - previously done 2 weeks to Calgary/Med Hat/Lethbridge in Spring, 3 weeks to Canmore/Panorama/Fernie skiing in Winter, and I did a 3-month ski instructor course in Banff this Jan to March.

Rose-tinted spectacles are firmly off - we have learned so much that reinforces just how lucky we already are in the UK. Enjoyed our holidays, going to make the most of this latest adventure, but definitely not emigrating now.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

I think you are out of luck. A while ago there was a round of letters sent out to simplified applicants (still waiting for doc requests) stating that they should write back if they wanted a refund, and past that a refund would not be available. I think you are too far down the line to get a refund now.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chutley
Hi everyone

Hi Chutley
Sorry to hear you've decided not to proceed with your PR application having been on with it since 2006 but like you say you've learned so much from your visits . I be interested to learn if anything in particular helped you decide against a permanent move or was it that having spend more time in Canada you learned it wasn't what you expected.
regards
joinerboy
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Do a search on the chutley username, plenty of posts on the MBTUK forum etc...