Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian work and travel visa - ADVICE!(trying to live with Canadian partner)

Canadian work and travel visa - ADVICE!(trying to live with Canadian partner)

Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

gabriellephoebe12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian work and travel visa - ADVICE!(trying to live with Canadian partner)

Hello,

I was hoping to be able to obtain a canadian work and travel visa so i can move to Vancouver Island begining of 2012 to live with my partner who is a Canadian citizen... however i have just seen the 2011 ones have stopped and i have NO IDEA when they release the visas for 2012.. does anyone know? And how long does it take from applying until you can go over to Canada?

My friend just came back from Canada for a year and when he entered Vancouver he had to prove to immigration he had a job lined up because he was staying for so long... however the impression i have got from reading up on it is that you have to have enough funds about 2000gbp to support you before you find a job. Can anyone clarify this?

My long term plan is to go over to Canada on a working holiday visa and live with my partner then we can apply for common law citizenship (don't quote me on the name)... is this the best idea to go? I have been with him for a year..

Also would it be wise for me to tell me immigration of my plans as they may deny me entry if they know my plans are to hopefully not leave the country!

Oh i want to move to Canada now!!!

So any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you for taking time in reading this

Gabbi
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian work and travel visa - ADVICE!(trying to live with Canadian partner)

Hi Gabbi, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by gabriellephoebe12
I was hoping to be able to obtain a canadian work and travel visa so i can move to Vancouver Island begining of 2012 to live with my partner who is a Canadian citizen... however i have just seen the 2011 ones have stopped and i have NO IDEA when they release the visas for 2012.. does anyone know? And how long does it take from applying until you can go over to Canada?
They usually open the program in December or January - there is no fixed date though, so just keep an eye on the website. You could maybe get stuff together while you are waiting i.e. order your police check, get your proof of funds etc? Then you'll be ready to apply as soon as it reopens. It takes around 8 weeks usually to get the Working Holiday Visa, although can be longer.

My friend just came back from Canada for a year and when he entered Vancouver he had to prove to immigration he had a job lined up because he was staying for so long... however the impression i have got from reading up on it is that you have to have enough funds about 2000gbp to support you before you find a job. Can anyone clarify this?
What visa did he enter on? You shouldn't need to prove you have a job lined up on a WHV, that's the whole point of the visa - that you go over and find work. You do need a certain amount of funds for the visa though, off the top of my head I think it's only about $3k.

My long term plan is to go over to Canada on a working holiday visa and live with my partner then we can apply for common law citizenship (don't quote me on the name)... is this the best idea to go? I have been with him for a year..
Just to clarify, you won't be applying for 'common-law citizenship', you'll be applying for Permanent Residency as a common-law spouse. You cannot apply for citizenship until you have lived in Canada as a PR for at least three years, so you're a way off that yet!

Yes, that's a good idea but don't forget that you'll need to prove you've lived as 'husband and wife' for a full year, so you'll need stuff set up from the moment you arrive on your WHV. Things like joint bank account, rental agreement in both names, joint insurances, wills naming each other as beneficiaries etc, are what you'll need for your application.

Also would it be wise for me to tell me immigration of my plans as they may deny me entry if they know my plans are to hopefully not leave the country!
If they ask, you must tell the truth, but it's unlikely that they'll ask you anyway so just don't volunteer the information!

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Canadian work and travel visa - ADVICE!(trying to live with Canadian partner)

Thank you so much for your reply!

8 weeks seems like such a long time to wait once i get the visa but fingers crossed they are released in december so i can go in feb!! And i shall get all my documents ready so i am good to apply!

Yes we will be setting up joint accounts and renting a place together when i move so we will have all that proof when i go to apply for permanant residency common- law spouse

Is there any other way of moving to canada sooner? Or is this really my best option. I don't have any skills to apply as skilled worker..

Thanks

Gabbi
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

oh and last thing would there be any reason i wouldn't get the working holiday visa???? If i've got good health no criminial record and enough funds i should get it?

gabbi
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should get it, and no, there's no way of moving quicker. It'll be around 6 months max to wait, which isn't long in immigration terms - just ask those that applied for visas in 2007 and are still waiting!!

Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:45 am
Just Joined

sorry 6 months to wait for a normal visa?

the holiday working one is about 8 weeks so that is really my best option?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

sorry 6 months to wait for a normal visa?

the holiday working one is about 8 weeks so that is really my best option?
No, I mean six months for the WHV - say 4 months until the program reopens, then 8 weeks processing time.

There is no other visa you could get quicker unless you can find a job offer immediately, and even then it would be about the same timescale.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Where did you find its 4 months? Is it not dec or jan? Ohh i can't wait that long to move

If it was dec or jan then i could move feb/mar?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

It's mid-Sept now, so it's 4 months until mid-Jan, which is when Christmasoompa is saying they are likely to re-open the WHV applications. Once submitted it takes roughly 8 weeks to process the visa, and then you can be on your way there. So all in all you are looking at March at the latest I would say. It is the quickest route - believe me! I was in your exact situation, but sadly I was just a few years too old to apply for the WHV and so I had little choice but to go out there and be a visitor (i.e. unable to work), so that I could be with my partner. I looked at the option of trying to go as a Federal Skilled Worker but the reality is that these applications can take years. The only other option is to apply for jobs and try and secure one (I did this and it is tough, tough, tough in this economic climate), which you then have to go down the LMO route......which is very tricky and never guaranteed. At least you have the option of the WHV albeit it not immediately. If you absolutely cannot wait that long, there is the option of travelling over to Canada and staying there for 6 months on a visitor visa.....however, I do not know how this would effect your WHV application - I suspect you need to be in the UK to apply. It's tough, but at least you have a route open to you, and the 6 months should fly by.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
...however, I do not know how this would effect your WHV application - I suspect you need to be in the UK to apply.
Fortunately you don't need to be in the UK to apply for the WHV, if it's the IEC 2012 program we're talking about? I know, because I wasn't! You just have to nip across the border and back once you get your letter of introduction.

I am in Canada/in another country. Can I participate to the IEC initiative without coming back to United Kingdom?

If your usual place of residence is United Kingdom and you are temporarily out of the country, you may apply from the country in which you are. You can download the participation kit on our website and send your completed application by mail to the address indicated in the instructions. If your application is accepted, you will receive your Letter of Introduction by email. If you are already in Canada, you will have to leave the country with this letter and present it to an Immigration Officer at a Canadian port of entry (i.e. a border crossing) in order to obtain your new work permit.

And Gabrielle this is definitely your best and fastest option. If you're such an eager beaver, and you really want to move now, then you could just go over on a visitor visa just now and then apply for the IEC 2012 when it opens Dec/Jan, but know you won't be legally able to work until you get the working visa. Is a bit more of a gamble, but from the limited info you gave you should be ok for the IEC program

And if you were looking for other options (like I tried to figure out) even marrying your partner today and applying for Permanent Residency would take longer than what victorfoxtrot proposed

Last edited by conjonway; Sep 21st 2011 at 6:29 am. Reason: I didn't like my first post.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Where did you find its 4 months? Is it not dec or jan? Ohh i can't wait that long to move

If it was dec or jan then i could move feb/mar?
January *is* 4 months away! Last year they opened the program on 18th Jan if that helps at all (so would be almost 4 months from now to the day).

Many others (including victorfoxtrot) have had a much harder route to a visa, and had to wait years to be with their Canadian partner - 6 months may seem a long time now, but in the overall picture of a lifetime together, it's the blink of an eye.

And whilst you're waiting, you can join in with us on the forum to try and make the time go quicker and prepare you for life in Canada.

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your replies!!

Where could i get more information about the working holiday visa? And what does lmo mean? Sorry i'm still getting used to all these visas etc that you can apply for!!

I think the best option is the working holiday visa and if it gets too tough just go out there for a few weeks in jan or feb come back to the UK then go out there with my working holiday visa And am i correct that you can apply for a second one before your first one runs out...

The plan would perhaps be go out on my WHV then before that runs out apply for a new one jan 2013 and during that second year me and my partner could apply for the common law spouse if that takes around 8 months then i shouldn't have to leave Canada for a long period of time while we wait for it to process?

I'm going to Canada on the 15th October so so excited haven't seen my partner for over 5 months now

Do any of you live in Canada?

Gabbi
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Where could i get more information about the working holiday visa? And what does lmo mean? Sorry i'm still getting used to all these visas etc that you can apply for!!
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d

And a LMO is a Labour Market Opinion - something you'd need for a normal Temp Work Permit (rather than a WHV), which your employer has to apply for to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. If you have any queries about any of the abbreviations or terms used on the forum, then your best bet is the Wiki which has loads of info in (including an article about spousal sponsorship that would be well worth a read).

You cannot get a second WHV until your first one has expired I believe, although you can check that on the website above.

HTH.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:54 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You cannot get a second WHV until your first one has expired I believe, although you can check that on the website above.
I think you can apply for the letter of introduction, but can't use it until your existing WHV has expired. But this could literally involve popping over to the US overnight between permits.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all of your advice.

Guys who have done the working holiday visa does it take a long time to fill all the forms out? And what do i need to send with it.

I just want to be as prepared as possible for when they release them so i can send it off right away and get my visa asap!!