Wikiposts

Canadian Work Permit issues

Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:55 am
Just Joined

alan_james is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Work Permit issues

Hi,

I'm new to this site and really need some help. Sorry if this has been asked before but I have searched the forums and cannot seems to find a relevant thread.

Anyway, I am a British Citizen and I have recently received a written job offer to work as a Postdoctoral Researcher. My employer is keen for me to start as soon as possible and I see on the Canadian High Commission website that it is possible to apply for a work permit on arrival in Canada at point of entry. Given that I will likely arrive at an airport in Montreal, does anyone know whether it is possible to receive this work permit immediately on arrival, or does this route also require a waiting period? If so, does anyone have experience of doing this and happen to know the full list of items that will be required? By the by, the position does not require a labour market opinion or a Quebec acceptance certificate.

Secondly, my 'common law partner' also wishes to work in Canada and I am aware that she may be eligible for an open work permit. However, due to some commitments in the United Kingdom, she is unable to move immediately and would aim to follow me to Canada a few months later. In this scenario, is it possible for her to apply separately from me, via post, whilst still being in the United Kingdom? If so, does anyone know which items will be required for her application?

I'm sorry to be asking such basic questions on this forum, but there really is a lack of clear and specific answers available on the internet. If anyone has any experience of working temporarily in Quebec then it would be great to hear your advice.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Work Permit issues

Is your job LMO excempt?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Is your job LMO excempt?
Yes. At least that's what they tell me on my job offer.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan_james
Yes. At least that's what they tell me on my job offer.
I'd check to be certain. ANd not with the employer.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:11 am
Just Joined

andrew127 is an unknown quantity at this point

From the HSRDC website on academic LMO exemptions:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...cadexemp.shtml

I did my initial TWP application as a Postdoctoral Fellow via London and then three in-Canada renewals without an LMO. You will presumably need all the same documents for a port-of-entry application as those required on the checklist for TWP applications via the Canadian Embassy in London.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andrew127
From the HSRDC website on academic LMO exemptions:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...cadexemp.shtml

I did my initial TWP application as a Postdoctoral Fellow via London and then three in-Canada renewals without an LMO. You will presumably need all the same documents for a port-of-entry application as those required on the checklist for TWP applications via the Canadian Embassy in London.
Thanks Andrew. The bit I am not sure about is whether I would need a police certificate, since it is not specifically mentioned. I guess the best approach would be to cover all bases and just get one anyway.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:42 am
Just Joined

andrew127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that would be the best thing to do. I didn't get one when I applied (January 2008) because it wasn't on the checklist, but a good friend of mine who went to postdoc on PEI in May 2010 had to get one (she applied via London). I think they might have changed that requirement in the intervening period. UK police certificates are reasonably promptly sent (I needed one for PR)

You would obviously also need a copy of your PhD certificate, or, if you hadn't had the degree ceremony yet, a letter from the your university confirming that you had passed.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:41 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need a Police check for a normal TWP at Port of Entry.
Just check that your specific instructions do not mention it, but otherwise it is not necessary.

If you do decide to get one, I can tell you that they are processing them promptly at the moment - I just received ours back last week and it took 9 working days, including the postage days, which is quicker than their stated turnaround time.

If you want to pay double, though, you can get them back much faster by asking for their Priority service.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:04 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to decide whether a professional, and highly educated, researcher asking us for answers means he is a very, very good researcher or a very bad one.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:18 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am trying to decide whether a professional, and highly educated, researcher asking us for answers means he is a very, very good researcher or a very bad one.
Thorough.

Also he most likely, as most intelligent people do, follows the Desiderata premise that
"always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself"

You can decide which category we come under.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andrew127
Yes, that would be the best thing to do. I didn't get one when I applied (January 2008) because it wasn't on the checklist, but a good friend of mine who went to postdoc on PEI in May 2010 had to get one (she applied via London). I think they might have changed that requirement in the intervening period. UK police certificates are reasonably promptly sent (I needed one for PR)

You would obviously also need a copy of your PhD certificate, or, if you hadn't had the degree ceremony yet, a letter from the your university confirming that you had passed.
Thanks again Andrew, the help is much appreciated!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Originally Posted by helcat12
Thorough.

Also he most likely, as most intelligent people do, follows the Desiderata premise that
"always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself"

You can decide which category we come under.
Haha. Yes, it's always important to realise that there is always someone out there that knows more than you! Also, the high commission website is so ambiguous in places that it's not always easy to work out how your one attempt at a work permit should go.