Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

newfie7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

Originally Posted by MillieF
You are married? Not spousal? Maybe they've changed the forms and I'm wrong, but we didn't have anybody write confirming that our relationship was ongoing - I have a marriage certificate for that. We didn't include any letters or things either, I did send a photo of our Wedding (me, OH and our baby son! - it was a very quiet event). I think they make it a very broad based form to include other cultural groups that might have a more strictly proscribed wedding timeframes?

I went to uni in Fredericton, it's lovely there! The fall (autumn! ) is gorgeous and outdoor activities abound, if that's your thing. Enjoy!!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

metalangel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF
You are married? Not spousal? Maybe they've changed the forms and I'm wrong, but we didn't have anybody write confirming that our relationship was ongoing - I have a marriage certificate for that. We didn't include any letters or things either, I did send a photo of our Wedding (me, OH and our baby son! - it was a very quiet event). I think they make it a very broad based form to include other cultural groups that might have a more strictly proscribed wedding timeframes?
No, we're not married, it's spousal. It asks (if it's spousal or conjugal) for at least two statutory declarations that you're definitely a couple and the relationship is genuine and ongoing. I think those are because they won't just take our word for it in the absence of official documents like you'd get with a 'proper' marriage, but what I need to know is if I have to get my friends to go to their solicitor or whatever to have these notarized/witnessed.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Silly question: You know these forms on the spousal checklist?

Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.
Does the sponsor count as a 'family member' and need to do their own copy?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by metalangel
Silly question: You know these forms on the spousal checklist?

Does the sponsor count as a 'family member' and need to do their own copy?
I've decided it doesn't. The instructions seem to be based around filling in the forms, then sending them to the sponsor, who adds the last two forms and sends it to CIC.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Just to say... forms sent off today! Fingers are crossed, thank you everyone here for your input and advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by metalangel
Hi guys,

Very quick background: born and raised in Toronto to British parents, moved to the UK after high school and attended university, met a Welsh girl and we've been together ever since (ten years). I'm 32 now, she's 31, we've both had enough of the UK and I want to return to Canada and bring her with me. I have both Canadian and British citizenship, she just has British.

What are our options?
-we've been living in conjugal relationship for six years in a house with shared mortgage, a joint bank account, I think we also have insurance on each other so if one dies the other gets the house paid off.
-we're NOT married but from what I've read of sponsorship that's not as important as it once was.
-the minimum income/sponsorship thing confuses me. Does it take into account the fact that while I have a decent salary right now in the UK, when I move to Canada I won't have a job?
-I've been putting money away in preparation and have a moderately substantial nest egg, on top of whatever we'd get selling the house, car, etc.

Now, I want to go back into education and change my career - my degree was in Journalism (worthless) and I've worked nothing but customer service and IT-stuff since then, but I don't have any qualifications, just experience.

She is also looking at retraining, she's worked almost entirely in office/administration roles since leaving school and likewise has a lot of experience in those sort of jobs but no qualifications.

I'd have to get a part time job while I was studying to keep us going. If she could too, so much the better, Toronto is NOT a cheap place to live and I'm even considering going to Edmonton instead for a lower cost of living while we start out.

What's the best way to go about this? Can I effectively sponsor her as a spouse even though neither of us have a Canadian income waiting for us, just on the strength of our current incomes and savings? The courses I want to do start in September, if our application isn't approved by then (or indeed is denied) what's the best way to go about her using the full six months that British citizens are typically allowed to stay. I am aware that having open return ticket helps things, I'd probably have one too as we'd undoubtedly need to go back at some point to tie up any loose ends regarding our property.

Any information is gratefully received!
If I were in your shoes I would simply pop down to the local Registrar and get married before you move to Canada.

Makes life infinitely 'legally and administratively' more simple.

FROTSUK
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Update:

Application was received on 16th of July.
I left on the 21st of August, and the same day I received approval as the sponsor.
She joined me on a visitor visa on 4th of October.

Today I logged into the CIC website to update her address to mine in Toronto, and at the same time checked the status:

We received your application for permanent residence on July 16, 2012.

We started processing your application on October 11, 2012.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.
Oh great! That's either a really fast yes or a really fast no! No emails have been received at my address or hers, so I guess they're going to do it by mail!

EDIT: Another member called ch64 post a similar thing and they were accepted so that's reassuring. However, it's midterms this week and the last thing I need is to be worrying about this when I have a test almost every day...

Last edited by metalangel; Oct 15th 2012 at 8:44 am.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Approved! Her parents forwarded the papers on to us now. Just need to make an appointment with a CIC office to get her landed!

Thank you all so much for your advice and input.