Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

metalangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

Hi guys,

Very quick background: born and raised in Toronto to British parents, moved to the UK after high school and attended university, met a Welsh girl and we've been together ever since (ten years). I'm 32 now, she's 31, we've both had enough of the UK and I want to return to Canada and bring her with me. I have both Canadian and British citizenship, she just has British.

What are our options?
-we've been living in conjugal relationship for six years in a house with shared mortgage, a joint bank account, I think we also have insurance on each other so if one dies the other gets the house paid off.
-we're NOT married but from what I've read of sponsorship that's not as important as it once was.
-the minimum income/sponsorship thing confuses me. Does it take into account the fact that while I have a decent salary right now in the UK, when I move to Canada I won't have a job?
-I've been putting money away in preparation and have a moderately substantial nest egg, on top of whatever we'd get selling the house, car, etc.

Now, I want to go back into education and change my career - my degree was in Journalism (worthless) and I've worked nothing but customer service and IT-stuff since then, but I don't have any qualifications, just experience.

She is also looking at retraining, she's worked almost entirely in office/administration roles since leaving school and likewise has a lot of experience in those sort of jobs but no qualifications.

I'd have to get a part time job while I was studying to keep us going. If she could too, so much the better, Toronto is NOT a cheap place to live and I'm even considering going to Edmonton instead for a lower cost of living while we start out.

What's the best way to go about this? Can I effectively sponsor her as a spouse even though neither of us have a Canadian income waiting for us, just on the strength of our current incomes and savings? The courses I want to do start in September, if our application isn't approved by then (or indeed is denied) what's the best way to go about her using the full six months that British citizens are typically allowed to stay. I am aware that having open return ticket helps things, I'd probably have one too as we'd undoubtedly need to go back at some point to tie up any loose ends regarding our property.

Any information is gratefully received!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian in UK wants to return home with British spouse

There are three relationships eligible for Canadian spousal sponsorship - married, common-law, and conjugal. You would come under common-law (not conjugal, that's a different category which doesn't apply to you).

No need for any job, minimum funds, or anything else - even the medical is easier to pass for the spouse of a Canadian.

So you've got a straightforward option open to you, have a good read of the Wiki article on spousal sponsorship, book her medical and then start gathering evidence that you live as man and wife (joint bank account statements, joint mortgage or rental agreement, joint insurances, wills naming each other as beneficiaries etc). Takes around 6 months or so, so if you hurry up and apply you may just be sorted around Sept time.

HTH, good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Wow, see, that's completely different to what I found myself when I went onto the Immigration website... I saw the big scary 'Financial Evaluation' and was convinced that, more than anything, was going to stop us.

Knowing we can just dig out our mortgage, joint bank statements, etc and book a medical and that's all is a huuuuuuuuuge relief.

If it all works out this way, the two things I wonder are:
1. How soon would she be able to work?
2. Would she be treated as an international student if she went back to school? I ask as when I moved to the UK the university treated me as one (with the higher fees) even though by the time I started univeristy there I'd been living and working in the UK for over a year.

Thank you very much
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by metalangel
Wow, see, that's completely different to what I found myself when I went onto the Immigration website... I saw the big scary 'Financial Evaluation' and was convinced that, more than anything, was going to stop us.
That doesn't apply to those sponsoring spouses, only other family members, so you can ignore that bit.

1. How soon would she be able to work?
Immediately - she'd be a Permanent Resident of Canada with all the rights that entails (basically as citizen but without the right to vote or run for public office!).

2. Would she be treated as an international student if she went back to school?
Nope, see above - she'd be a PR so would pay normal tuition rates.

The above answers are of course assuming that when you move to Canada she'll be a PR. If you decide to move before she gets her visa, and she'd therefore be entering on a visitor visa, then obviously the answers will be very different.

HTH.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Alberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really nice

Sorry, no helpful advice but just wanted to say we're in the same shoes as you, only its my husband who is the Brit and i'm from Edmonton (although I love TO too )

Good luck with your move!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope, see above - she'd be a PR so would pay normal tuition rates.

The above answers are of course assuming that when you move to Canada she'll be a PR. If you decide to move before she gets her visa, and she'd therefore be entering on a visitor visa, then obviously the answers will be very different.
We'll see, then... once she gets approved could she do the 'around the flagpole' thing to re-enter with her new status?

Originally Posted by Alberta_Gal
Sorry, no helpful advice but just wanted to say we're in the same shoes as you, only its my husband who is the Brit and i'm from Edmonton (although I love TO too )

Good luck with your move!
Thanks! Interesting thing is... the course I want to take is American Sign Language/Deaf Studies. There are two offered: one is in UofA in Edmonton (though the course itself is run by Lakeland College), the other is in George Brown in Toronto.

Toronto appeals because it's, well, home, for me. Edmonton I last visited about 1994, and is somewhat cheaper to live in from what I've seen. What's unusual is the courses both seem to reach the same outcome (you end up with a diploma and can then go to work as a professional interpreter) but Lakeland's is a year shorter.

How are things out there? Alberta is booming from what I hear, and not just with the tar sands.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Alberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really nice

I haven't been there in yonks but I have many good friends who live there and they say that the boom hasn't even really gotten off the ground yet so I think the next couple of years could be a good time to go.

My parents made a fortune in the last big boom, they retired in their early 50's to Portugal, lucky buggers...i'm not expecting that of course

I think if I had family in TO I would consider it. Living expenses can be relative. TO is expensive but a lot of the suburbs aren't too expensive. We had looked at Hamilton/Stoney Creek and they are cheaper than Edmonton and commutable to TO. Mind you i've lived in and out of London for over 15 years so i'm used to commuting 2/3 hours a day, seems normal to me

Alberta is the kind of place that you go to to work hard and make money. Everything else is a bonus The hospitals are awesome though...I could tell you some stories about the hospitals in London/Surrey that would make your toes curl...the maternity ward at the St. George's in Tooting is positively 3rd world - in fact, that's almost insulting to 3rd world nations. The UofA hospital is first class. And in summer Edmonton is awesome, lots of fun festivals and lots of great lakes not too far away for day/weekend trips. And less than 4 hours to Vegas, California and Mexico so can't be all that bad...mind you TO is so close to NYC, Boston and Florida. You're lucky to have such a choice!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Going to apply to both... it's a bit late to be doing so but George Brown at the least is still showing availability. While the suburbs aren't as expensive in Toronto, you don't really want to live in Scarberia and have an hour and a half on the subway every day (especially when they close the RT in a few year's time to convert it to an LRT)

I saw a lot of apartments in Queen Mary/McDougall in Edmonton for about $700, how is that for an area to live in? Not too far from the UofA and the LRT.

(sorry mods if this is going offtopic)
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:28 am
Just Joined

No idea as I haven't lived there in so long, you're better off asking someone there now. My best friend's daughter lives downtown off Jasper Avenue which is quite popular with younger people and has great transport links (I lived there too before going to Uni when I was 18) and she loves it, great bars and restaurants and she can get to lots of places easily.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Yeah, that's more or less the same area. Good to hear. Part of me is hoping to avoid having to buy a car right away, but I suppose, in Edmonton especially, it's quite important (less so in TO but again depends on where you live).
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:57 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

We'll see, then... once she gets approved could she do the 'around the flagpole' thing to re-enter with her new status?

Absolutely
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Small update:
Got most of the forms together now, however I am stuck on the sponsor's questionnaire, in that I don't have a rental agreement, job offer or anything to put as evidence of my own intent when I return to Canada! Neither of the two educational institutions I've applied to have accepted me yet and so... we're waiting on that.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Eabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura about

Interesting that I found this thread. I'm in largely the same boat. My British partner and I got married in August 2010, and I moved to the UK on a spousal visa in May 2011. After paying the money for the visa and planning the move and everything, it seems odd that we're now talking about going back to Canada together.

I only just started looking at the process - I mean, literally, like today. I remember applying for the UK visa was quite stressful, but my hope is that (having gone through *that* process) we'll already have a lot of necessary documents and a clearer idea of what we're doing. Obviously, though, Canada has different rules.

One thing that confuses me - it says you can apply from inside Canada. That sounds great in theory - I suppose it means we could move back together even though he's not a permanent resident. But I thought that visitor's were only allowed up to 6 months in Canada (overstaying that is, of course, *illegal*), so I'm not sure whether applications from inside Canada are strictly for people with other kinds of visas already (student visas, work visas, etc.). Can anybody offer clarification on this for me?

If we can only legally apply from outside Canada, I worry about the fact that I can't "prepare" our application by getting a job back home, etc. Accommodation shouldn't be an issue - we'd just move back in with my parents for the time being. It's just the financial resources. I do have some savings (about £7000 at the moment).

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I only ask that you reply to my concerns if you *know* the answers - I remember when I had questions about the UK visa, some well-intentioned but woefully misinformed people nearly led me astray with their responses. :P (I sussed it all out myself eventually, with a little help from some people who *did* know what they were talking about)

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Eabie
One thing that confuses me - it says you can apply from inside Canada.
You can, but it's actually not recommended - it's far better to do an 'outland' application as it's much, much quicker. See this Wiki article for info on the two options, and remember that you can do an 'outland' application even if living in Canada. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

If we can only legally apply from outside Canada, I worry about the fact that I can't "prepare" our application by getting a job back home, etc. Accommodation shouldn't be an issue - we'd just move back in with my parents for the time being. It's just the financial resources. I do have some savings (about £7000 at the moment).
You don't need a job, or a certain amount of savings to sponsor a spouse (other than for the actual costs i.e. medical, visa fees, shipping, flights, etc).

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I only ask that you reply to my concerns if you *know* the answers - I remember when I had questions about the UK visa, some well-intentioned but woefully misinformed people nearly led me astray with their responses.
With respect, this is a free public internet forum, and therefore you will only get responses from all of us laypeople - if you want a professional opinion that you can be sure is 100% correct, you'll have to have a consult with an immigration attorney/consultant. You get what you pay for after all.

That said, there is loads of info in the Wiki and on previous threads, so have a hunt and hopefully it will help a bit.

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

With respect, this is a free public internet forum, and therefore you will only get responses from all of us laypeople - if you want a professional opinion that you can be sure is 100% correct, you'll have to have a consult with an immigration attorney/consultant. You get what you pay for after all.

That said, there is loads of info in the Wiki and on previous threads, so have a hunt and hopefully it will help a bit.

Good luck.
I would add that I sent off my spousal sponsorship forms just over a year ago - we would never have been able to complete them without the wealth of first hand experiences and support of BE. When we applied we were confused and worried - the process seems simple now that I've completed it, but was awful at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.