Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian in UK applying for my child's cdn passport???

Canadian in UK applying for my child's cdn passport???

Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian in UK applying for my child's cdn passport???

Hi, i dont have time to trawl through all info as i am getting ready to go to canada for a holiday but wanted to get this passport application off for my child.

question, i am canadian so my child has access to cdn citizenship.

but, can i just go ahead and apply for a passport for him? or do i have to get the cert of cdn citizenship first?

also does anyone have the link on accompanying documents i have to submit with the passport - I am dual cdn/british citizen (born and bred in canada).

what docs would i need to submit for my child with the application?

many many thanks people
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:10 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian in UK applying for my child's cdn passport???

Hi

Originally Posted by angie123
Hi, i dont have time to trawl through all info as i am getting ready to go to canada for a holiday but wanted to get this passport application off for my child.

question, i am canadian so my child has access to cdn citizenship.

but, can i just go ahead and apply for a passport for him? or do i have to get the cert of cdn citizenship first?

also does anyone have the link on accompanying documents i have to submit with the passport - I am dual cdn/british citizen (born and bred in canada).

what docs would i need to submit for my child with the application?

many many thanks people
Answered in your previous post. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/form.aspx?l...=international
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, i have received a number of responses both from passport canada and here regarding my queries.

i want to move to canada, with my child (who will eventually have right of citizenship. I want to get the cert of cdn citizenship card whilst here in UK but that is going to take a long time.

i want to move back to canada with my child (have ex hubby's blessing now) and need to know what will happen if my child is not yet a citizen.

which is why i need to know if i can actually do this without my child having the cit card or passport yet.

can i apply for them when we hit canada or will my boy be an inadmissable alien?

thanks very much. (going to canada immigration when i get there next week to speak to them about this but it would be nice to know what questions i should/should not ask.

thank you
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

also, when i applied for UK passport, i just applied and got it via my family's citizenship.

it seems that re: canada, i cannot do this for my son, i.e. get his passport via my own citizenship - that i have to get the blasted cit card first.

i dont understand why he has to get this card when he has entitlement to citizenship via myself.

can y ou advise or is it just the 'rules'.?

thanks
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by angie123
also, when i applied for UK passport, i just applied and got it via my family's citizenship.

it seems that re: canada, i cannot do this for my son, i.e. get his passport via my own citizenship - that i have to get the blasted cit card first.

i dont understand why he has to get this card when he has entitlement to citizenship via myself.

can y ou advise or is it just the 'rules'.?

thanks
I will explain it again. You apply for the proof of citizenship (takes up to 15 months) Once you have proof that you applied, even if you haven't received it, you apply for a limited validity passport at the CHC, which is quite quick.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

If you are planning to move in the next 15 months, you should give a long term stable mailing address for the CCC. For example, to relatives in Canada who you expect to be still living in the same place next year.

The CHC will force you to sign a waiver before they issue you with the emergency passport and may require you to explain why you want the passport. Explain that you plan to move to Canada and your child will need the passport to enter the country and to access vital services once you arrive. You can also bitch in the letter about how long it takes CHC to issue the CCC.

Note that your child is ALREADY a Canadian citizen. The CCC is merely a confirmation of the existing citizenship.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

OOOHH, now i see, duh. thanks to everyone who responded.

at last an answer.

best