Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian - Trying to Sponsor my Husband while living in UK

Canadian - Trying to Sponsor my Husband while living in UK

Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

VW092906 is on a distinguished road
Default Canadian - Trying to Sponsor my Husband while living in UK

Hi There, not sure if anyone will be able to help me. Im Canadian - living in the UK (since 2007) but am trying to move back to Canada, so am filling out all the forms to sponsor my husband. we are stuck on a few points and its stopping us from sending off the forms. If anyone can help with any of these, it would be much appreciated.

Here is a bit more background information:
I have been living in Northern Ireland with my husband since April 2007, and am eager to move back to Canada. In August 2009, we had a daughter and we have applied for her Canadian Citizenship. We are waiting to get that, then we will apply for her passport.

here are my questions:

For the UK country specific form:

1- Do I as a Canadian need to obtain a criminal record check?

2- do we fill out the 2 pages titled to Albanian citizens?

3- Do I as a Canadian and my daughter (born in UK - but has applied for her Canadian Citizenship) need to list our travels as well?

5- do my daughter and I need to provide photos?

For the Schedule 1 / Background declaration form:

1- On the application for my husbands permanent residence, pg2, do I list myself and my daughter? (I assume no, but please let me know if I am wrong, I put my daughter on just in case, but left myself off)

2- And if Yes to above question, Do I as a Canadian also have to fill in the Schedule 1 form? (I have also assumed the answer is NO, and have not filled this out)

3- My husband has just realized he obtained the wrong type of Criminal check / Police certificate. He has applied for the Visa specific forms to be fast tracked, but if they do not come in time (His Medical section is due to expire in the next few weeks) can we send all the forms in anyways, and specify that the criminal check will follow? or does everything have to go together in one bundle?

Sponsorship Evaluation forms:

1- Im confused as to weather or not I fill out the financial evaluation form, as I am sponsoring my husband from outside Canada, and I assume I am not sponsoring my daughter who was born in the UK because she is eligible for her Canadian Citizenship (which we have applied for), I realize she is still our dependent, I will have to show we can support ourselves. If I DO NEED TO FILL ONE OF THESE FORMS OUT, which form do I use (5481 or 1283)?

2- IF I should fill out form #1283, I do not have the requested "Option C' form because Im living and working in the UK, also a lot of the form is specified to a Canadian who has been paid in Canada. DO I just use the similar UK forms and fill in as best I can?

3- I was on maternity and sick leave after having my baby in the last year so am concerned I didnt have enough income in the last 12 months, but am back to work full time now, and do make above the minimum required. I have also obtained a higher paying job offer in Canada, so is this enough to prove my finances have changed? I have asked the company who has offered me the job to email me how much I will be paid and will print this out to hand in with the letter of employment offer he has previously sent to me. Can you let me know if this is enough in your opinion?

many thanks in advance to anyone who can help us get to the end!

I have also sent this as an email to the UK ([email protected]) but am worried they wont get back to us on time, and of course to call the Canadian call centre you have to be IN Canada!!

Valentina
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadian - Trying to Sponsor my Husband while living in UK

1. YOu need no financial statements..you do not send in the Option C, as long as you are not on welfare and have not been bankrupt
2. You do not need a criminal record check, your spouse does...you are canadian they can't keep you out of your own country!
3. Unless your husband is Albanian, then no you do not fill it in
4. You do not need pics of you or daughters, just the one who is immigrating
5. I did put my travels down to prove we had travelled together

Just on my way out so am sure someone will be along to answer the rest

Their is a guide with the forms to help with all the questions, but it can be a bit overwhelming..
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
1. YOu need no financial statements..you do not send in the Option C, as long as you are not on welfare and have not been bankrupt
2. You do not need a criminal record check, your spouse does...you are canadian they can't keep you out of your own country!
3. Unless your husband is Albanian, then no you do not fill it in
4. You do not need pics of you or daughters, just the one who is immigrating
5. I did put my travels down to prove we had travelled together

Just on my way out so am sure someone will be along to answer the rest

Their is a guide with the forms to help with all the questions, but it can be a bit overwhelming..
thanks for getting back to me! this is a very daunting process, Im a bit shocked as to the amount of paper work etc compared to both my uk visa's - which I thought were bad enough! Im glad I found this site where others have also been through it, and mom's as well!!

So do I fill out any financial form? or just skip them both? Im just so scared I have filled out the wrong stuff and will fail in this. i have all the guides but like you said its a bit overwhelming especially with a 13 month old and back to work full time Im sure its all in plane english but my brain is still in baby mode and full of holes lately.

thanks again... and sorry for rambling !!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VW092906
thanks for getting back to me! this is a very daunting process, Im a bit shocked as to the amount of paper work etc compared to both my uk visa's - which I thought were bad enough! Im glad I found this site where others have also been through it, and mom's as well!!

So do I fill out any financial form? or just skip them both? Im just so scared I have filled out the wrong stuff and will fail in this. i have all the guides but like you said its a bit overwhelming especially with a 13 month old and back to work full time Im sure its all in plane english but my brain is still in baby mode and full of holes lately.

thanks again... and sorry for rambling !!
Hi

We sent our application off via DHL yesterday - phew!!

My husband is Canadian by birth and came here on a spouse visa in 2005 (was so much easier, I agree!!!).

Our daughters were born here, but now have their Proof of Canadian Citizenship, which took about 9 months to be processed.

I have a daughter from a previous marriage.

Husband completed 1344A, 1344B, 5481 and 5540. We filled in his income for the past 12 months and his work info, but attached a letter stating that he has been working here therefore has no tax information from Canada. We also explained that we are planning on moving next summer, but can not make definite plans (such as house hunting and job hunting) until nearer the time and we have an house to sell here, once the application has been processed.

For myself and my older daughter (14) I filled out 0008,0008 schedule 1, 5406, 5490.

If you look on this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf it tells you what information and forms to send in. question 13 relates only to albanian residents or people whose applications will be handled in paris.

I sent photos of myself and my daughter, police certificates for me, and receipts from our medical.

You said his medical expires in a few weeks - is this because it is a year old? If so, he would need a new medical, as far as I am aware, you need to get your medical before you send in your application, but also have to land before the year is up after your medicals.

Hope that helps a little
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caleo
Hi

My husband is Canadian by birth and came here on a spouse visa in 2005 (was so much easier, I agree!!!).

Our daughters were born here, but now have their Proof of Canadian Citizenship, which took about 9 months to be processed.

Husband completed 1344A, 1344B, 5481 and 5540. We filled in his income for the past 12 months and his work info, but attached a letter stating that he has been working here therefore has no tax information from Canada. We also explained that we are planning on moving next summer, but can not make definite plans (such as house hunting and job hunting) until nearer the time and we have an house to sell here, once the application has been processed.

For myself and my older daughter (14) I filled out 0008,0008 schedule 1, 5406, 5490.

If you look on this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf it tells you what information and forms to send in. question 13 relates only to albanian residents or people whose applications will be handled in paris.

I sent photos of myself and my daughter, police certificates for me, and receipts from our medical.

You said his medical expires in a few weeks - is this because it is a year old? If so, he would need a new medical, as far as I am aware, you need to get your medical before you send in your application, but also have to land before the year is up after your medicals.

Hope that helps a little
Hi, fingers crossed for you and your family!
thanks for your reply, it helps to read what other people have done.

as far as the medical... my husband had it around the 24th of September 2010, and the person who he dealt with at the Dr.'s office told him they are now only good for 60 days. I hope he is wrong. He had it done in Belfast NI. the person he talked to is in charge of all the paperwork regarding the medical for visa's not the Dr.
not sure if this is something new (the 60 days) cant find anything specific about it on the website of course

thanks again for your reply, all very helpful so far.

V
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Hope that helps a little
I swear I just replied to this, but it didnt work?

thanks for your post. my husband had his medical done in Spetember, and the person at the Drs office who is in charge of all the paperwork part of the visa's etc told my husband that they are now only valid for 60 days. I hope he is wrong!

good luck with your application, my fingers are crossed for you too!

V
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I swear I just replied to this, but it didnt work?
Nothing to worry about, it's just that because you are new and put a link in your post, it automatically gets put in to the 'mod queue'. Once a mod has checked it and approved it, it'll appear - it's just an anti-spam measure.

Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

thanks, thought it was my safari!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Husband completed 1344A, 1344B, 5481 and 5540. We filled in his income for the past 12 months and his work info, but attached a letter stating that he has been working here therefore has no tax information from Canada.
Hi, me again! Did your husband have to fill out the financial form 5481? or did you just do it in case? Im just not sure how you know if you have to fill it our or not.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, me again! Did your husband have to fill out the financial form 5481? or did you just do it in case? Im just not sure how you know if you have to fill it our or not.
We filled it in - mainly because it is a requirement on the checklist. We were worried in case they contacted his current employer, but apparently they don't - although it does not really matter if they do now as he has a new job
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

well its all sent off now!! went to the bank for a bank draft and off it all went. praying now I didnt miss anything. thanks for all your help. not sure what to do with myself now. that took me 5 months!

Valentina
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

For starters, you can do your time signature - then join the waiting!!

It is a great feeling once the forms have gone off!!

we still have a few issues from our medicals - daughter had a "heart murmur" according to the DMP - but GP and paediatrician could not hear a thing and her ECG is fine.

Fingers crossed we will get our PPRs soon!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Shouldn't take to long... ours took about 2 months...

Good luck...