Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian PR- Traveling in between USA and Canada

Canadian PR- Traveling in between USA and Canada

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:27 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian PR- Traveling in between USA and Canada

Hi folks,
I'm a brit whos Recently had my PR come through for Canada. Will it now be easier to spend 6 months in USA with my canadian PR card? Or will I still need to do the ESTA visa waiver and can only spend 90 days??

thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian PR- Traveling in between USA and Canada

Nothing has changed. You are still British citizen. Easier border crossings only come once you are Canadian citizen
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

As above, 90 days max as a PR/UK citizen
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well just to be pedantic but if you're travelling "inbetween" the US and Canada doesn't that make you a member of the boundary commission?
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

I went to cross the boarder on my pr a couple of weeks ago and was told I needed an Esta but in the meanwhile they give me a 90 day visa in my passport for $6 (its all about the money) lol
Old Jan 10th 2015, 3:18 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrandmaLynn
I went to cross the boarder on my pr a couple of weeks ago and was told I needed an Esta but in the meanwhile they give me a 90 day visa in my passport for $6 (its all about the money) lol
You get to pay for the esta and still have to pay for the 90 day visa, but esta lasts a year.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No ESTA is required if crossing into the US by land border however you must be eligible for the Visa Waiver Programme and pay the $6 for the I94 waiver.
UK passport holders are members of the VWP.

Those who hold a current ESTA who arrived by air or sea can use the info from their ESTA but still need to pay the $6 if crossing by land border.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHel...elp_1.htm#vwp3
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

I wish I had known that before I bought the Esta last week as I have to go into the States again. last time I bought it, it was good for 12 months but this one is good for 2 years.
when I went inside the guy said if I had the Esta I wouldnt have needed to pay $6 for the waiver....who knows!!
Old Jan 10th 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

We crossed the border last year by car with an ESTA and we still had to pay the $6 for the 90 day visa!!!
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrandmaLynn
when I went inside the guy said if I had the Esta I wouldnt have needed to pay $6 for the waiver....who knows!!
That's not right, the I-94/OBIM fee is $6 at a land border and $5.50 at an airport (included in the ticket price), ESTA is a separate fee and not needed for crossing by land.

The carrier has to guarantee that they will return you if you are denied entry and ESTA is used for pre-warning CBP so they can check you on the flight manifest. There is no manifest if you arrive by land so ESTA is pointless. The only advantage of signing up for ESTA for land entry is that CBP can verify your details a teeny bit faster and thus print off the I-94 faster. So it saves you a few seconds.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:14 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Hi folks,
I'm a brit whos Recently had my PR come through for Canada. Will it now be easier to spend 6 months in USA with my canadian PR card? Or will I still need to do the ESTA visa waiver and can only spend 90 days??

thanks
Crossing by land will still be $6, finger prints and a wait in the CBP post each time you need a new authorization. I believe they last a year so if you cross back and forward often then it should be easier after the first time. Once it expires you'll need to do the whole thing again. I believe it's still 90 days in any one visit.