Canadian Police checks

Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Chromag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Police checks

Hi Everyone

Im fairly new to this forum and this is my first post although Im sure there will be many more.

I am british and living in the UK with my canadian girlfriend, we are just starting the process of filling in the paperwork for my girlfriend to sponsor my PR application through our common law relationship.

I am going to get a UK police check through the ACPO scheme. My question is I have lived in Canada before on a Bunac WH visa, i was there for 15 months, so I assume I need a police check for my time there. How do i go about achieving this from the UK. Do the RCMP have an online form to send off? Does anyone have a URL for this.

Thanks in Advance
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Police checks

Hi

Originally Posted by Chromag
Hi Everyone

Im fairly new to this forum and this is my first post although Im sure there will be many more.

I am british and living in the UK with my canadian girlfriend, we are just starting the process of filling in the paperwork for my girlfriend to sponsor my PR application through our common law relationship.

I am going to get a UK police check through the ACPO scheme. My question is I have lived in Canada before on a Bunac WH visa, i was there for 15 months, so I assume I need a police check for my time there. How do i go about achieving this from the UK. Do the RCMP have an online form to send off? Does anyone have a URL for this.

Thanks in Advance
1. According to http://tinyurl.com/6qglnn you will not need one unless requested. If you have a common name, CHC will request that you have fingerprints taken and submitted to the RCMP. Keep your fingers crossed as for paper prints, the RCMP are taking around 120 days. Electronic prints less than 30 days. E-prints are not available in the UK as far as I know.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Hariato is an unknown quantity at this point

No you are correct!! E prints are not available in the UK!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future

Hey there, i worked in canada before in 2000 for a year under work permit..

I am also in process of PR visa with a canadian wife..

I had to get a police records check from canada....
As you need to get police records checks from every country you have lived in for more then 6 months.....

I had to go to scotland yard get a set of fingerprints done and send them of to the RCMP for a criminal records check...
You will need to do this go onto
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca

there is a section on civil fingerprints devision and you'll get info from there..

Hope this helps

Neilo71
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information everyone

neilo71, did you get specifically asked by CIC to provide the police check and fingerprints or did you just go off and do it yourself anyway thinking it was required.

Im just a bit confused by the conflicting information
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the information everyone

neilo71, did you get specifically asked by CIC to provide the police check and fingerprints or did you just go off and do it yourself anyway thinking it was required.

Im just a bit confused by the conflicting information
We hired an immigration lawyer and he advised us to get it down..
Mate for the £60 of fingerprints from scotland yard and the price of a stamp to the RCMP in ottawa it is worth getting it done as a request from CIC could put you back about 2-3months....
Good Luck and hope it helped, give me a shout if you need anymore advice, as i am into 5 months of waiting right now...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Ok, Is it only Scotland yard that you can get fingerprinted at or can it be done at regional police stations too. Is the £60 fee you paid for the fingerprints or the check that the RCMP conduct.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, Is it only Scotland yard that you can get fingerprinted at or can it be done at regional police stations too. Is the £60 fee you paid for the fingerprints or the check that the RCMP conduct.
Scotland yard is the only place where the RCMP will take fingerprints from.
And the £60 is for fingerprints only...
When you call to make an appointment you need to state it is for immigration purpose...
New scotland yard number 0300-123-1212
www.met.police.co.uk

Rcmp only do a check on your fingerprints and i can't remember if they charge you or not, i don't think so but again not 100% sure it was nearly 7-8 months ago i got it done....
Again hope this helps
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Cheers - Thanks for the information -I take your point for 60 quid its not worth the possible delays.

Maybe you could answer 1 more question as you are 5 months ahead of me and in the same situation, I keep reading people advising you to get your medical done as late as possible, is this again something that the CIC request you to do after they have reviewed your application.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers - Thanks for the information -I take your point for 60 quid its not worth the possible delays.

Maybe you could answer 1 more question as you are 5 months ahead of me and in the same situation, I keep reading people advising you to get your medical done as late as possible, is this again something that the CIC request you to do after they have reviewed your application.
Ah the medical question, it varies i got mine done in may and sent them off with everything...It all depends on how CIC see your case mine is Spousal as we are married you are common-law which means they could take a while, medical are only good for a year i think, again not 100% sure...
My recommendation is get them done just before you send off the whole application, then wait and see it's 50/50 really cause some people don't do them and then halve way through the application CIC send a letter requesting medical..It is up to you mate on how you play that one...
But i'll tell you one thing if you can get the medical done in Canada it is way cheaper to get it done there...as i did i cost a lot of money in the u.k and about $125 in canada... Only f you're planning a trip there that is in the near future... i have a list of medical doctors in canada for ontario if that s any use...

Where is your girlfriend from? i'm hopefully moving to London, Ontario....
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

My girlfriend is from Windsor, ontario. just two hours away from london. We are hoping to move to the west coast. We love vancouver
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

My girlfriend is from Windsor, ontario. just two hours away from london. We are hoping to move to the west coast. We love vancouver
Nice.. Windsor is a pretty cool place but then so is Vancouver..

Good luck and again let me know if you require any other info.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

you can get prints at your local police station you do not have to go to london for them!