British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Canadian permanent resident to marry in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/canadian-permanent-resident-marry-uk-255315/)

zayarah Sep 18th 2004 12:22 am

Canadian permanent resident to marry in UK

Hi I'm a Canadian permanent resident staying in Canada for the past 3yrs. My
boy friend is in United Kingdom on a Business Visa and is going to get his work permit soon. I would like to know what is the procedure for getting married in UK. I have British tourist visa right now which would expire in Feb'05.Also would it be possible to stay back in UK with my husband after my visa expires(on his work permit)

thanx,
Zarayah

Andrew Miller Sep 18th 2004 12:52 am

Re: Canadian permanent resident to marry in UK

Wrong forum - you should ask in the UK immigration forum... :)

Originally Posted by zayarah
Hi I'm a Canadian permanent resident staying in Canada for the past 3yrs. My
boy friend is in United Kingdom on a Business Visa and is going to get his work permit soon. I would like to know what is the procedure for getting married in UK. I have British tourist visa right now which would expire in Feb'05.Also would it be possible to stay back in UK with my husband after my visa expires(on his work permit)

thanx,
Zarayah

JAJ Sep 18th 2004 1:15 am

Hi I'm a Canadian permanent resident staying in Canada for the past 3yrs ....

.... Also would it be possible to stay back in UK with my husband after my visa expires(on his work permit)

Have you thought about what might happen to your status in Canada if you go to live in the UK?

What happens if things there don't work out and you find you can't come back to Canada (which will be the case after a few years)?

Jeremy

zayarah Sep 18th 2004 1:20 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you thought about what might happen to your status in Canada if you go to live in the UK?

What happens if things there don't work out and you find you can't come back to Canada (which will be the case after a few years)?

Jeremy

Let me tellu onething JAJ...i will be coming to canada in sept'05 to complete my studies..so the question of my status in Canada i guess is answered now...and as far as the things working or not working out is concerened can u tell me what u mean by that....as in what wouldn't work out so that i answer u accordingly.

JAJ Sep 18th 2004 2:42 am

Let me tellu onething JAJ...i will be coming to canada in sept'05 to complete my studies..so the question of my status in Canada i guess is answered now...and as far as the things working or not working out is concerened can u tell me what u mean by that....as in what wouldn't work out so that i answer u accordingly.

Things working out or not working out? I knew of a case where a Canadian permanent resident came to Australia to live with her boyfriend. They split up, she had to leave Australia as she had no visa, and she found her Canadian permanent residence had expired so couldn't return to Canada. So she had to go back to the UK where she had not lived since early childhood and had no family there.

Have you checked the CIC website to find out what your residence obligations actually are?

Jeremy

zayarah Sep 18th 2004 6:24 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Things working out or not working out? I knew of a case where a Canadian permanent resident came to Australia to live with her boyfriend. They split up, she had to leave Australia as she had no visa, and she found her Canadian permanent residence had expired so couldn't return to Canada. So she had to go back to the UK where she had not lived since early childhood and had no family there.

Have you checked the CIC website to find out what your residence obligations actually are?

Jeremy

I'm not coming to UK till I know the date i'm gettin married...thanx for the concern though.