Canadian Passport (from the UK)

Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Passport (from the UK)

I became a Canadian Citizen aged 6, but have spent the last 30 years or so in England after my mum refused to get on the plane back to Canada following a vacation in England (long story - summarised in an earlier thread). Does anyone know if I would be eligible to apply for a Canadian Passport from the UK using my old Citizenship Certificate, or would I be better off getting an up to date "Proof of Citizenship" document in the first instance?

I understand my kids may be eligible for "Citizenship by Descent" so fully intend to apply for their documents, no matter what my final immigration / returning citizen plans end up being so they at least have an option to go to Canada when they're older if that is what they want in the future.

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Passport (from the UK)

You don't need to obtain a new Canadian citizenship cert. Previous versions are still valid.

Notice - New Citizenship Certificate

"Citizenship certificates issued before February 1, 2012, remain valid. This means that any Canadian who currently holds a citizenship certificate does not need to apply for a replacement."
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MarylandNed
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:11 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Just chiming in to say that this is 100% worth doing. It will give them easier access to the USA (through NAFTA Visas) and of course Canada. After Uni, I did a year in Whistler and wow would it have been easier/less visa-stressful if I had a Canadian passport.

And, all of you will have two passports, both some of the most accepted in the world: You can go to more countries with a Swedish passport than an American one - Vox