Canadian income tax

Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

hupssy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian income tax

Hello
I have question what is proper way to file out income tax for last year!
Me and my wife got married in 2004 in Canada ,she was here for 6 months on visitor visa ,In july 2004 she went back.She is working from september in her country !Our application for PR is still in process!
I am Canadian citizen my wife is not Canadian resident but I have to indicate on income tax return that my marital status has been changed in 2004
Now what I have to fill in for her income? Some people say I should put zero,some say I should put down her income outside Canada from september!
Any expert here on this ?
confused

thank you
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Canadian income tax

Originally Posted by hupssy
Hello
I have question what is proper way to file out income tax for last year!
Me and my wife got married in 2004 in Canada ,she was here for 6 months on visitor visa ,In july 2004 she went back.She is working from september in her country !Our application for PR is still in process!
I am Canadian citizen my wife is not Canadian resident but I have to indicate on income tax return that my marital status has been changed in 2004
Now what I have to fill in for her income? Some people say I should put zero,some say I should put down her income outside Canada from september!
Any expert here on this ?
confused

thank you
Hi Hupssy

I was in the same boat today, my wife is over in canada and im back inuk now while pr takes place GST cheque was supposed to coe through the post today but she got a letter asking my income for the year and also for my SIN number, And I spent 6 mnths of last year till feb this year on a VISA in canada

we resolved this by speaking to GST people and they said because im not PR yet that you put that down on the TAX forms

as I myself PAy uk Taxes and my wife will continue to recieve GST Rebates until the end of this year when i will have to file my taxes when im living over in caada with her

Hope this helps and mine was sorted in an hour,

regards

matty
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

hupssy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian income tax

Thanks matty266
I figured it out on the end
I called international income tax centre and they informed me that I have to put down how much my spouse was earning last year in her country it is called world income
here is a number for international income tax centre if anyone have similar problem and needs info 1-800-267-5177