Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Immigration/ Medical Stage

Wikiposts

Canadian Immigration/ Medical Stage

Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

cezariii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Immigration/ Medical Stage

I have a question regarding the medical examination that takes place after processing of immigration cases. It is mentioned that in case of serious illness to either the applicant or the applicant's dependents, the applicant is ineligible to apply. The details of serious illness are not given. I inquire this for my son, who is five years old and has had mental and physical developmental delays since three months after his birth, as a result of which he requires periodic physiotherapy and occupational therapy. I would like to know if my son's condition would be categorized as a serious illness and thus make me ineligible to apply for immigration for myself and my family.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canadian Immigration/ Medical Stage

I don't have exact quotes of the text on hand, but immigration officials assess each individual case based on two questions:

-is the health condition going to put excessive financial strain on the Canadian health system?
-is the health condition going to put the public in dager in Canada?

I understand the different routes for immigration (i.e. PNP, TWP, PR-Federal,...) etc may have different requirements on this. As I have applied for a Federal Skilled Worker PR, my research concentrates on that, and the following is valid for that case.

each applicant and each family member (unless the family member never wants to enter Canada ) has to go to a doctor approved by the Canadian immigration services. The doctor issues a confidential report to immigration, and the immigration official then decides, according to the above questions.

The health questionnaire used by the immigration doctor is very detailed, and I found it somewhere online, but can't find it now, sorry.

From what I have read here, on forums etc, similar health conditions can lead to a different go/no-go decision by Canadian immigration. CIC also won't comment on any particular case's likelihood until you go through the process.

cf the wiki article on this topic
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...an_Immigration
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Canada Karen is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what worries me - my husband has high bloodpressure which is controlled by medication and I have slight arthritus in my knee following an accident - is this likely to mean we will not get past the medical stage????
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

I don't know if it is any help to you, but my husband has both epilepsy (controlled by medication) and a shoulder problem caused by it dislocating several times that has left him with arthritis in his shoulder.

Neither of those prevented him from passing the medical and getting a visa and eventually emigrating.

So I imagine in the case of Canada Karen, her husbands high blood pressure and her arthritis probably won't be a problem (there are no guarantees however)

But I have no idea about the OP's son Sorry. I guess the only real way to find out is to try applying and see what they say.