Canadian Imigration?

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 6:39 pm
Bho
Just Joined

Bho is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Canadian Imigration?

Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to imigrate to Canada. I am currently finishing off the final year of my uni, and have a sponsor who is prepared to sponsor me and give me a place to stay while I setup.

Any information or stages required will be most helpful. Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:10 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

What kind of sponsor?

Only spouses, conjugal and common-law partners, children, parents and grandparents can be sponsored - read here to find out in details who can be sponsored:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2-227/sec117.html

It is always a good idea to learn basics about immigration to Canada from the official government website here:

www.cic.gc.ca

before starting making any plans.

Originally Posted by Bho
Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to imigrate to Canada. I am currently finishing off the final year of my uni, and have a sponsor who is prepared to sponsor me and give me a place to stay while I setup.

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bho

First step is to read the cic website.

If sponsorship is family member for family route, that may be OK. If it is a job sponsorship your possible lack of one years previous full time employment will be a problem for skilled worker path.

Iain
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Henok3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew,

On this sponsorship topic. Is it at all possible to sponsor young siblings (ages say 14 and below) listed on the family information form during the PR application? The link you provided doesn't say it in plain words... Can you?

In that case, doesn't the info on the link mean one should consider withholding listing them as siblings (in case of a desire to sponsor them later on?). Is adoption an option?

Last edited by Henok3; Sep 3rd 2004 at 8:30 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 9:37 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You are drilling too deep. You cannot sponsor your siblings except in special circumstances so they do not have to be listed as your dependents!

Originally Posted by Henok3
Andrew,

On this sponsorship topic. Is it at all possible to sponsor young siblings (ages say 14 and below) listed on the family information form during the PR application? The link you provided doesn't say it in plain words... Can you?

In that case, doesn't the info on the link mean one should consider withholding listing them as siblings (in case of a desire to sponsor them later on?). Is adoption an option?
Old Sep 4th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Henok3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You are drilling too deep. You cannot sponsor your siblings except in special circumstances so they do not have to be listed as your dependents!

Mr Humphries,

I wasn't referring to dependents. I have listed no dependents. One of the forms in the application asks the applicant to list names and birth dates of any brothers and sisters. It looks like siblings are exculded from the definition of a family member for the purpose of sponsorship. I was wondering if I can adopt them instead. Can you clarify your second sentence(special circumstances)?

Thanks

Henok
Old Sep 4th 2004, 4:25 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You do have to list your siblings on form IMM5406. Adoption can be an option but you had better consult an expert rather than relying on informal advice here. There are limits and requirements that do not make it an easy option.

Originally Posted by Henok3
Mr Humphries,

I wasn't referring to dependents. I have listed no dependents. One of the forms in the application asks the applicant to list names and birth dates of any brothers and sisters. It looks like siblings are exculded from the definition of a family member for the purpose of sponsorship. I was wondering if I can adopt them instead. Can you clarify your second sentence(special circumstances)?

Thanks

Henok