Canadian Imigration?

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 6:39 pm
  #1  
Bho
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
Bho is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Canadian Imigration?

Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to imigrate to Canada. I am currently finishing off the final year of my uni, and have a sponsor who is prepared to sponsor me and give me a place to stay while I setup.

Any information or stages required will be most helpful. Thanks!
Bho is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:10 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

What kind of sponsor?

Only spouses, conjugal and common-law partners, children, parents and grandparents can be sponsored - read here to find out in details who can be sponsored:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2-227/sec117.html

It is always a good idea to learn basics about immigration to Canada from the official government website here:

www.cic.gc.ca

before starting making any plans.



Originally Posted by Bho
Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to imigrate to Canada. I am currently finishing off the final year of my uni, and have a sponsor who is prepared to sponsor me and give me a place to stay while I setup.

Any information or stages required will be most helpful. Thanks!
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:20 pm
  #3  
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

Originally Posted by Bho
Can anyone tell me what I would need to do to imigrate to Canada. I am currently finishing off the final year of my uni, and have a sponsor who is prepared to sponsor me and give me a place to stay while I setup.

Any information or stages required will be most helpful. Thanks!
First step is to read the cic website.

If sponsorship is family member for family route, that may be OK. If it is a job sponsorship your possible lack of one years previous full time employment will be a problem for skilled worker path.

Iain
iaink is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:21 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 42
Henok3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

Andrew,

On this sponsorship topic. Is it at all possible to sponsor young siblings (ages say 14 and below) listed on the family information form during the PR application? The link you provided doesn't say it in plain words... Can you?

In that case, doesn't the info on the link mean one should consider withholding listing them as siblings (in case of a desire to sponsor them later on?). Is adoption an option?

Last edited by Henok3; Sep 3rd 2004 at 8:30 pm.
Henok3 is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 9:37 pm
  #5  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

You are drilling too deep. You cannot sponsor your siblings except in special circumstances so they do not have to be listed as your dependents!

Originally Posted by Henok3
Andrew,

On this sponsorship topic. Is it at all possible to sponsor young siblings (ages say 14 and below) listed on the family information form during the PR application? The link you provided doesn't say it in plain words... Can you?

In that case, doesn't the info on the link mean one should consider withholding listing them as siblings (in case of a desire to sponsor them later on?). Is adoption an option?
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2004, 3:18 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 42
Henok3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You are drilling too deep. You cannot sponsor your siblings except in special circumstances so they do not have to be listed as your dependents!

Mr Humphries,

I wasn't referring to dependents. I have listed no dependents. One of the forms in the application asks the applicant to list names and birth dates of any brothers and sisters. It looks like siblings are exculded from the definition of a family member for the purpose of sponsorship. I was wondering if I can adopt them instead. Can you clarify your second sentence(special circumstances)?

Thanks

Henok
Henok3 is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2004, 4:25 pm
  #7  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Imigration?

You do have to list your siblings on form IMM5406. Adoption can be an option but you had better consult an expert rather than relying on informal advice here. There are limits and requirements that do not make it an easy option.

Originally Posted by Henok3
Mr Humphries,

I wasn't referring to dependents. I have listed no dependents. One of the forms in the application asks the applicant to list names and birth dates of any brothers and sisters. It looks like siblings are exculded from the definition of a family member for the purpose of sponsorship. I was wondering if I can adopt them instead. Can you clarify your second sentence(special circumstances)?

Thanks

Henok
Jim Humphries is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.