Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian experience class (CEC) and marriage

Canadian experience class (CEC) and marriage

Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian experience class (CEC) and marriage

Hello BE,

I have been here in Canada on a TWP since July 2009, and at September 30th amassed enough working hours to qualify for Canadian experience class (two years). I've finally just about managed to gather all of my documents together but an important question I have is this. I am a UK passport holder but my fiancé is a citizen of Kenya and currently lives there. Our wedding date is set for January 2012. For her to join me here in Canada, is it quicker that I apply now as a single man and then once approved file for her to join me? Or should I wait until January and then include her on my application as my spouse (is there a danger that including her would slow down my application process)?

Thank you so much, this forum has been an amazing source of information for me since 2006 when the idea of moving here first surfaced! Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:03 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian experience class (CEC) and marriage

Hi

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Hello BE,

I have been here in Canada on a TWP since July 2009, and at September 30th amassed enough working hours to qualify for Canadian experience class (two years). I've finally just about managed to gather all of my documents together but an important question I have is this. I am a UK passport holder but my fiancé is a citizen of Kenya and currently lives there. Our wedding date is set for January 2012. For her to join me here in Canada, is it quicker that I apply now as a single man and then once approved file for her to join me? Or should I wait until January and then include her on my application as my spouse (is there a danger that including her would slow down my application process)?

Thank you so much, this forum has been an amazing source of information for me since 2006 when the idea of moving here first surfaced! Thanks
1. If you apply now, you are single, you can apply and once you are married, amend your application and send your wife's application with all the supporting documents including Police certificates.
2. You say that you are going to marry in Canada? Does she have a TRV?
3. Either way, you application is going to slow down as it usually takes forever to do background checks in Kenya, one of the slowest offices.