Wikiposts

Canadian Experience Class

Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Experience Class

Has anyone gone this route for immigrating to Canada?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

•plan to live outside the province of Quebec
•be either:
◦a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or
◦a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
•have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
•apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada
According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

•Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
•Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
•Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)
Your application will be assessed on two requirements if you apply as a temporary foreign worker:

•your work experience and
•your ability in English or French.
If you apply as a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution with Canadian work experience, it will be assessed using the above requirements, as well as:

•your education.
I think I might have a better chance of qualifying under this than under the skilled worker catergory.

Edit I was also wondering how do you find out what skill level your career fits under? Right now I'm looking at skill level B and I think I might come under OCCUPATIONS IN ART, CULTURE, RECREATION AND SPORT classed as Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts, how do you find out more details about this classifcation?

Last edited by stubby42; Dec 19th 2008 at 11:05 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Experience Class

Originally Posted by stubby42
I was also wondering how do you find out what skill level your career fits under? Right now I'm looking at skill level B and I think I might come under OCCUPATIONS IN ART, CULTURE, RECREATION AND SPORT classed as Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts, how do you find out more details about this classifcation?
You won't qualify yet as I don't think you have 2 years of full-time experience in Canada do you? Sorry if I'm wrong but I seem to recollect that you've been there since middle of last year on Bunac, so nowhere near the 2 years required for CEC class of immigration.

As to finding out more details about your job classification, you go to the NOC Matrix (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/index.aspx), then put your NOC code or job title in the search box and it will give you a detailed description of that role, and what you need to be doing/what qualifications you need to have, to qualify under it.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Well I know that I'm not qualified for it at the moment, but I might be in three/four years time and its beginning to look like the best way for me to get into the country.

Thanks for the help christmasoompa you've been amazing.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Ok I'm pretty happy now, I've found out that my NOC number is 5227 which puts me in classification structure 5 skill catergory B which also means that I'm a skilled worker.

But if I go through this option it gives me three years in canada and at the end of it I'm a citzen, where as under the skilled worker option I only have 48 points and could take me forever to reach the requirement.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you qualify as a SW, that's great. Could you not bump your points up though (rather than having to go through all the hassle that we've discussed before i.e. getting the LMO etc for such a short contract role) - maybe a course in French and then add 10 points for arranged employment option (if your current employer is still prepared to offer you permanent job?)??

And just to clarify that you need to be a PR for 3 years before you can claim citizenship, not just be in the country - so you'd have to wait until you had obtained PR via CEC, then after 3 years of that (think it's something like 1078 days to be precise) you could claim citizenship. I'm sure you know that but just thought I'd mention it as you said 'three years in canada and at the end of it I'm a citizen' which would not be the case.

Glad things are looking up for you, I love your determination and genuine love of Canada and I so hope you make it!!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Well what i'm thinking about at the moment is to transfer to the university of regina and finish my studies there, according to the paper work I have to of studied at a canadian university for two years, so I can either transfer or take a second degree. The second degree would be the prefered option but most are four years long, theres siast which is a trades university but I'm not sure if they count as degree's and from a brief look most of the course's dont last two years.

After i've finished with university I can come home and get another bunac visa (which will let me work anywhere) I'll work for my potential employer then apply for immigration through the canadian experience class method.

In theory I'll be allowed permenant residence.

But this plan hinges completely on me being able to get student loans to study abroad and I have no idea if thats possible.

P.S I had no idea I didnt count as a citzen, it doesnt really bother me, being in canada is far more important than anything else.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

A very cunning plan! And I wish you the best of luck with it.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks and you have no idea how much of a help you've been understanding the process has been tough and I've gone from thinking it unlikely that I'll be back in canada for a very long time to possibly being there next september.

The hard parts going to be convincing my parents its a good idea, thats the bit I'm most scared about because I'm not sure they'll understand it.