Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

samarorep8888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

To all PR / Canadian citizens who are members of this forum:

Good day!

We all know that most of the immigrant applicants come from countries where English is the second language.

Once we are approved and landed in Canada (God willing!), proficient in English of course will help us in the integration, settlement and adaptation process and finding a suitable employment.

In this regard, pls advise us what sort of English accent do Canadians use? Is it British or American? what suggestions or tips can u give to hasten the learning process? Is it worthwhile to always watch foreign english channel of cable tV? What particular channel can u suggest?

thanks for your time to answer this.

samarorep
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

I am working here in US from last 4 years. I met few Canadians last year, i did'nt notice any difference. Its almost the same accent and english that you hear americans (CNN, MSNBC, Foxnews) speaking.

Originally Posted by samarorep8888

Good day!

We all know that most of the immigrant applicants come from countries where English is the second language.

Once we are approved and landed in Canada (God willing!), proficient in English of course will help us in the integration, settlement and adaptation process and finding a suitable employment.

In this regard, pls advise us what sort of English accent do Canadians use? Is it British or American? what suggestions or tips can u give to hasten the learning process? Is it worthwhile to always watch foreign english channel of cable tV? What particular channel can u suggest?

samarorep
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:08 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is Canadian

Good day!

samarorep
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its sounds like american, but with "eh!" on the end of most sentences eh!

But its spelt English most of the time, but with so many immigrants around its the last thing I would worry about, no one is expecting you to sound like a 3rd gen canadian as long as you can make yourself understood. Noo dooot aboot it eh!

Good Luck, keep yer stick on the ice

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Nov 11th 2004 at 1:03 am.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iaink
Its sounds like american, but with "eh!" on the end of most sentences eh!

But its spelt English most of the time, but with so many immigrants around its the last thing I would worry about, no one is expecting you to sound like a 3rd gen canadian as long as you can make yourself understood. Noo dooot aboot it eh!

Good Luck, keep yer stick on the ice

Iain
Right... If you're ever in Toronto, you'll hear english with a Swahili, Indian, German, Russian, Hebrew etc...accent. And if you take a cab, you better know sign language :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
And if you take a cab, you better know sign language :scared:
sign you mean Punjabi. O balay bai balay
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

going2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by orazone
sign you mean Punjabi. O balay bai balay
AAho ji ,I can also understand this sign language.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:53 am
Just Joined

samarorep8888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by going2canada
AAho ji ,I can also understand this sign language.
Based on your feedback, I think there is no such thing as "Canadian accent" due to varied background of immigrants. The important thing is that we understand each other when we communicate.

again, thank you ...

samarorep
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Based on your feedback, I think there is no such thing as "Canadian accent" due to varied background of immigrants. The important thing is that we understand each other when we communicate.

again, thank you ...

samarorep
No, there is a canadian accent, although it varies from east coast to west. It sounds to the uninitiated like an American accent (which of course also varies from region to region, as does a british accent) But, you are right that the important thing is to be able to communicate. Dont worry about the accent, I really dont think having a "foreign" accent will hold you back here much, if at all.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough

An expression that is said to be typical of a Canadian speaker is the short word "eh?". It has four different uses, three of which are handy to have, and one that is laughed at by people who aren't Canadian.

Use number one occurs during a conversation when one person interrupts another by saying "Eh?", which means "Would you please repeat what you just said?"

Use number two means "don't you?", as in, "You do want to go, eh?"

Use number three is a request for agreement, as in, "This is good coffee, eh?"

The fourth use is called the "anecdotal" eh?, and this one is thought to be typically Canadian in the sense that other speakers of English say they wouldn't be caught dead using it. Here's an example of the anecdotal eh?
"I was driving down the street, eh ? And I saw this car running a red light, eh? And it smashed right into me, eh ? And boy did I get mad, eh ?"
Anyone who speaks like that must be a Canadian, eh?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:47 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Raska
An expression that is said to be typical of a Canadian speaker is the short word "eh?". It has four different uses, three of which are handy to have, and one that is laughed at by people who aren't Canadian.

Use number one occurs during a conversation when one person interrupts another by saying "Eh?", which means "Would you please repeat what you just said?"

Use number two means "don't you?", as in, "You do want to go, eh?"

Use number three is a request for agreement, as in, "This is good coffee, eh?"

The fourth use is called the "anecdotal" eh?, and this one is thought to be typically Canadian in the sense that other speakers of English say they wouldn't be caught dead using it. Here's an example of the anecdotal eh?
"I was driving down the street, eh ? And I saw this car running a red light, eh? And it smashed right into me, eh ? And boy did I get mad, eh ?"
Anyone who speaks like that must be a Canadian, eh?
Living in Toronto I recognized a few other differences which you will usually pick up quickly:
BTW its not Toronto,..... its Trrono
and the ou is pernounced mor like someting between oo and oa ( not about but more like aboot or aboat)
and portaaaaaaging a canoe is with a long aaaaaaaa

but thats aboat it, eh?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mhhp
Living in Toronto I recognized a few other differences which you will usually pick up quickly:
and the ou is pernounced mor like someting between oo and oa ( not about but more like aboot or aboat)

but thats aboat it, eh?
And its not "VAN-couver," its "Vangg-couver"
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,
I've been reading this forum for some time, and I was laughing my butt of this time with other people's comments about accent.
Just to tell you, people that have been here all their life and also people that travelled around Canada and States can tell the difference.
Otherwise, just enjoy your British accent and do not bother changing. It is a huge advantage for you that you are fluent in English. I think that British people are proud of their accent and why change. In Canada, we are all proud of the country we are coming from.
One challange for your will be actually understanding people around the world, understanding people with 100's different accents. It will be hard, but you will be fine. Eh?
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

MarkS is on a distinguished road

And the capital of Canada is ODDawah!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mhhp

but thats aboat it, eh?
In Toronto is more the oat sounds while in the eastern provinces it is more the oot sound. "Out and about" here will be more like "oat and about" while in Nova Scotia it will be more like "oot and aboot". You will here this more on TV than on the street though. Mostly you will hear accents from all over the world when you are out since there are so many immigrants from so many different places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.