Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:12 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
samarorep8888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

To all PR / Canadian citizens who are members of this forum:

Good day!

We all know that most of the immigrant applicants come from countries where English is the second language.

Once we are approved and landed in Canada (God willing!), proficient in English of course will help us in the integration, settlement and adaptation process and finding a suitable employment.

In this regard, pls advise us what sort of English accent do Canadians use? Is it British or American? what suggestions or tips can u give to hasten the learning process? Is it worthwhile to always watch foreign english channel of cable tV? What particular channel can u suggest?

thanks for your time to answer this.

samarorep
samarorep8888 is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:28 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
orazone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 448
orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

I am working here in US from last 4 years. I met few Canadians last year, i did'nt notice any difference. Its almost the same accent and english that you hear americans (CNN, MSNBC, Foxnews) speaking.


Originally Posted by samarorep8888
To all PR / Canadian citizens who are members of this forum:

Good day!

We all know that most of the immigrant applicants come from countries where English is the second language.

Once we are approved and landed in Canada (God willing!), proficient in English of course will help us in the integration, settlement and adaptation process and finding a suitable employment.

In this regard, pls advise us what sort of English accent do Canadians use? Is it British or American? what suggestions or tips can u give to hasten the learning process? Is it worthwhile to always watch foreign english channel of cable tV? What particular channel can u suggest?

thanks for your time to answer this.

samarorep
orazone is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:08 pm
  #3  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

It is Canadian

Originally Posted by samarorep8888
To all PR / Canadian citizens who are members of this forum:

Good day!

We all know that most of the immigrant applicants come from countries where English is the second language.

Once we are approved and landed in Canada (God willing!), proficient in English of course will help us in the integration, settlement and adaptation process and finding a suitable employment.

In this regard, pls advise us what sort of English accent do Canadians use? Is it British or American? what suggestions or tips can u give to hasten the learning process? Is it worthwhile to always watch foreign english channel of cable tV? What particular channel can u suggest?

thanks for your time to answer this.

samarorep
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:01 am
  #4  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,771
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Its sounds like american, but with "eh!" on the end of most sentences eh!

But its spelt English most of the time, but with so many immigrants around its the last thing I would worry about, no one is expecting you to sound like a 3rd gen canadian as long as you can make yourself understood. Noo dooot aboot it eh!

Good Luck, keep yer stick on the ice

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Nov 11th 2004 at 1:03 am.
iaink is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:41 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
juliusmaximus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 291
juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by iaink
Its sounds like american, but with "eh!" on the end of most sentences eh!

But its spelt English most of the time, but with so many immigrants around its the last thing I would worry about, no one is expecting you to sound like a 3rd gen canadian as long as you can make yourself understood. Noo dooot aboot it eh!

Good Luck, keep yer stick on the ice

Iain
Right... If you're ever in Toronto, you'll hear english with a Swahili, Indian, German, Russian, Hebrew etc...accent. And if you take a cab, you better know sign language :scared:
juliusmaximus is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:06 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
orazone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 448
orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
And if you take a cab, you better know sign language :scared:
sign you mean Punjabi. O balay bai balay
orazone is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:35 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
going2canada's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 54
going2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by orazone
sign you mean Punjabi. O balay bai balay
AAho ji ,I can also understand this sign language.
going2canada is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:53 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
samarorep8888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by going2canada
AAho ji ,I can also understand this sign language.
Based on your feedback, I think there is no such thing as "Canadian accent" due to varied background of immigrants. The important thing is that we understand each other when we communicate.

again, thank you ...

samarorep
samarorep8888 is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:44 pm
  #9  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,771
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by samarorep8888
Based on your feedback, I think there is no such thing as "Canadian accent" due to varied background of immigrants. The important thing is that we understand each other when we communicate.

again, thank you ...

samarorep
No, there is a canadian accent, although it varies from east coast to west. It sounds to the uninitiated like an American accent (which of course also varies from region to region, as does a british accent) But, you are right that the important thing is to be able to communicate. Dont worry about the accent, I really dont think having a "foreign" accent will hold you back here much, if at all.
iaink is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:46 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 180
Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

An expression that is said to be typical of a Canadian speaker is the short word "eh?". It has four different uses, three of which are handy to have, and one that is laughed at by people who aren't Canadian.

Use number one occurs during a conversation when one person interrupts another by saying "Eh?", which means "Would you please repeat what you just said?"

Use number two means "don't you?", as in, "You do want to go, eh?"

Use number three is a request for agreement, as in, "This is good coffee, eh?"

The fourth use is called the "anecdotal" eh?, and this one is thought to be typically Canadian in the sense that other speakers of English say they wouldn't be caught dead using it. Here's an example of the anecdotal eh?
"I was driving down the street, eh ? And I saw this car running a red light, eh? And it smashed right into me, eh ? And boy did I get mad, eh ?"
Anyone who speaks like that must be a Canadian, eh?
Raska is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:47 pm
  #11  
keep checking....
 
mhhp's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: was Switzerland/Germany now BC Canada
Posts: 1,440
mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by Raska
An expression that is said to be typical of a Canadian speaker is the short word "eh?". It has four different uses, three of which are handy to have, and one that is laughed at by people who aren't Canadian.

Use number one occurs during a conversation when one person interrupts another by saying "Eh?", which means "Would you please repeat what you just said?"

Use number two means "don't you?", as in, "You do want to go, eh?"

Use number three is a request for agreement, as in, "This is good coffee, eh?"

The fourth use is called the "anecdotal" eh?, and this one is thought to be typically Canadian in the sense that other speakers of English say they wouldn't be caught dead using it. Here's an example of the anecdotal eh?
"I was driving down the street, eh ? And I saw this car running a red light, eh? And it smashed right into me, eh ? And boy did I get mad, eh ?"
Anyone who speaks like that must be a Canadian, eh?
Living in Toronto I recognized a few other differences which you will usually pick up quickly:
BTW its not Toronto,..... its Trrono
and the ou is pernounced mor like someting between oo and oa ( not about but more like aboot or aboat)
and portaaaaaaging a canoe is with a long aaaaaaaa

but thats aboat it, eh?
mhhp is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:14 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 88
Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by mhhp
Living in Toronto I recognized a few other differences which you will usually pick up quickly:
BTW its not Toronto,..... its Trrono
and the ou is pernounced mor like someting between oo and oa ( not about but more like aboot or aboat)
and portaaaaaaging a canoe is with a long aaaaaaaa

but thats aboat it, eh?
And its not "VAN-couver," its "Vangg-couver"
Virgosah is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:48 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 156
Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Hello there,
I've been reading this forum for some time, and I was laughing my butt of this time with other people's comments about accent.
Just to tell you, people that have been here all their life and also people that travelled around Canada and States can tell the difference.
Otherwise, just enjoy your British accent and do not bother changing. It is a huge advantage for you that you are fluent in English. I think that British people are proud of their accent and why change. In Canada, we are all proud of the country we are coming from.
One challange for your will be actually understanding people around the world, understanding people with 100's different accents. It will be hard, but you will be fine. Eh?
Jassy is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:55 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 132
MarkS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

And the capital of Canada is ODDawah!
MarkS is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:01 am
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
sysclp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 941
sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian English Accent -Any tips?

Originally Posted by mhhp
Living in Toronto I recognized a few other differences which you will usually pick up quickly:
BTW its not Toronto,..... its Trrono
and the ou is pernounced mor like someting between oo and oa ( not about but more like aboot or aboat)
and portaaaaaaging a canoe is with a long aaaaaaaa

but thats aboat it, eh?
In Toronto is more the oat sounds while in the eastern provinces it is more the oot sound. "Out and about" here will be more like "oat and about" while in Nova Scotia it will be more like "oot and aboot". You will here this more on TV than on the street though. Mostly you will hear accents from all over the world when you are out since there are so many immigrants from so many different places.
sysclp is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.