Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian dependent without proof of citizenship (spouse application)

Canadian dependent without proof of citizenship (spouse application)

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 2:28 am
Just Joined

bek_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian dependent without proof of citizenship (spouse application)

I'm planning to submit my PR spouse application in the next few weeks, and wanting advice on what happens if you have a baby between applying and landing in Canada.

I'm expecting to submit a straightforward application in Aug 2015 and my husband's visa expires beginning of September 2016. I plan to enter under dual intent if my approval doesn't come through in time. We're also hoping that we'll be moving with a baby!

My understanding is that if the child is a Canadian citizen (They would be. My husband is Canadian citizen born in Canada) then they don't need to be added as a dependent on the application, but if they're not a Canadian citizen, they do need to be added.

If we did have a child before moving, it seems we would need to apply for a citizenship certificate, but they often take well over a year and we would only have a couple of months. Of course, we would request urgent processing, but I'm still not sure we would get it in time as we couldn't apply until the baby was born which would be most likely 1-4 months before we leave.

So, if I have a baby before the application is approved, I will need to call to inform CIC, but will they consider the baby as Canadian without documental proof or will they need to be added as a UK citizen dependent? If I have a baby after approval but prior to landing, do I need to inform CIC/add the child to the application?

Likewise, assuming that I enter the country with the baby on UK passport, will they be eligible for dual intent (whether I'm entering as dual intent or landing as a PR) if we haven't yet received the citizenship certificate?
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

bek_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian dependent without proof of citizenship (spouse application)

I made an enquiry to Canada House in London and updating here in case anyone else has the same question in the future:

If you determine that your child has a claim to Canadian citizenship, please find all citizenship instructions and forms on the Canadian High Commission website www.unitedkingdom.gc.ca by clicking on the link Passports and Services on the left hand side of the page. You will also find information on fees, method of payment, postal address and other information that might be of interest to you.

If the child has a UK or another country's passport, please apply for citizenship first. The citizenship application will be sent to Canada from our office. The processing time is up to 15 months.

If the child needs a UK visa in a Canadian passport to reside in the UK or needs to travel urgently on the Canadian passport before the Canadian citizenship card is received, please submit both citizenship and passport applications at the same time. Passport application forms are available at the link below.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/consular_services_consulaires/index.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=22

Please note that the Limited validity passport is only available for children 2 years of age and under. If your child is over this age, you must apply for their citizenship certificate first.

In addition, please submit the following:

· proof of travel or a statement explaining the visa residency requirement;

the Limited Validity Passport form (attached) to acknowledge that you have applied for your child's citizenship, that you are aware that your child will be issued a two-year limited validity passport and that the passport will not be extended;
if the child's parents were both born outside of Canada, the Confirmation of parents' Canadian Citizenship History form (attached).
· Either parent’s Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate

· The child’s long form birth certificate; this is the one that’s shows the name of the child and parents.

We aim to process passport applications in 20 business days from the day a complete application is received.
So basically, with a child under two you can apply for the citizenship certificate and passport at the same time and will get a temporary, 2 year passport for the child. But you need to prove that they need a Canadian passport quickly.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian dependent without proof of citizenship (spouse application)

Originally Posted by bek_
I made an enquiry to Canada House in London and updating here in case anyone else has the same question in the future:

So basically, with a child under two you can apply for the citizenship certificate and passport at the same time and will get a temporary, 2 year passport for the child. But you need to prove that they need a Canadian passport quickly.

That's great information - thank you for posting it, I'm sure it will be very helpful for anyone else in that situation.

Good luck with your move over - and welcome to BE!