Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian company bought our company...

Canadian company bought our company...

Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Canadian company bought our company...

Hi,

We've just learnt today that a Miranda Technologies, a Canadian company based in Montreal, has bought the UK broadcasting software company that I work for (Omnibus Systems). This means I am technically now being employed by Canadians although I continue to work here in the UK at the moment.

As most of you know we have just filed our application for FSW Cat 1 residency with my wife as main applicant through her pharmacy experience.

So my thoughts at the moment are really for a "backup plan" if for any reason our FSW1 category is rejected.

It's likely to be the end of the year before anything is decided with regards relocating staff etc. But I am just wondering, if I am now already employed by a Canadian employer, and am offered a transfer to their Canadian HQ in Montreal, how does this stand with applying for residency under FSW2?

Do they need LMO's and TWP's to transfer staff to Canada (that now already work for them)?

Was just thinking this may be a possibility of applying under FSW2 without having to secure a job/TWP/LMO should our FSW1 application fall through.

Thanks for any advice!
Wayne.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian company bought our company...

Originally Posted by Waggle
Do they need LMO's and TWP's to transfer staff to Canada (that now already work for them)?
As an intra-company transfer (if you are eligible), you wouldn't need a LMO to get a TWP - could then be upgraded to PR.

Needless to say, there is a Wiki article on this very subject, so have a read of this for more info and to see if you'd come under one of the three categories that qualify for intra-company transfer TWP's - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadian company bought our company...

Ah ok this is very helpful thank you. Well I guess I'd have to come under Category iii) since I am one of the (many) software developers responsible for developing the products.

However, what seems unclear is where it says you must have worked for the company outside of Canada for at least 1 year. I have worked for my current company for over 3 years, but only today was it acquired by the Canadian company.

Well it's something to investigate/think about. Like I said, since we have an FSW1 application in the works that is still the best option since we can then move to where we want in Canada (i.e. Vancouver area) and are not tied into working for a particular company. But I am a firm believer in backup plans

Wayne.