Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship - Swearing Allegiance to the Queen

Canadian Citizenship - Swearing Allegiance to the Queen

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:01 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Citizenship - Swearing Allegiance to the Queen

This made me smile

I read this elsewhere.

I still find it odd that if I eventually go for citizenship I have to swear allegiance to the queen even though I'm British.
So, there you are, a British Citizen, having to swear allegiance to the Queen of the Kingdom you are a citizen of already

Is this really the case?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship - Swearing Allegiance to the Queen

Yes.

But as a brit you have never actually sworn allegiance, at least I hadnt.

As a new canadian its expected, after all, with canadians coming from all over the globe who knows where your allegiances lay before.

And if you are not a great believer in the rights and privileges of the monarchy you will just have to fake it
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:13 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Meh , I'd assume so , the citizenship oath thingy is generic for everyone . Many people there will not be British citizens, so the oath is designed for them
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

LOL!
When I took Mexican nationality a few years ago, I had to meet with the local state delegate of the Mexican Foreign Office (the SRE), raise my right arm, in what was suspiciously close to a Nazi salute (although, I believe, the Americans call it a 'Bellamy Salute'), whilst I stood before a huge Mexican flag - I then had to recite the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance (Bandera de Mexico, Legado de nuestros heroes, simbolo de la unidad etc etc)

But what does it all mean anyway? Allegiance comes from the heart...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:06 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Feliz Naviblah
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Feliz Naviblah
dad?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
dad?
What's up, son?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:18 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
This made me smile

I read this elsewhere.

So, there you are, a British Citizen, having to swear allegiance to the Queen of the Kingdom you are a citizen of already

Is this really the case?
my understanding is that, once cic gets around to consider my application, i'm going to swear allegiance to the Queen of Canada. it's just that Her Majesty "coincidentally" happens to be the Queen of the United Kingdom as well.

but what do i know as somebody who hasn't had the pleasure of living in a monarchy before moving to canada...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:03 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
dad?
Yes, was a vague attempt at humour though I do appreciate its getting late and I have a large glass of something red in my hand.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lof
my understanding is that, once cic gets around to consider my application, i'm going to swear allegiance to the Queen of Canada. it's just that Her Majesty "coincidentally" happens to be the Queen of the United Kingdom as well.
That is absolutely correct.

It is the same situation for Canadian citizens wishing to become British citizens ... they have to take an oath of allegiance to the Queen (of the United Kingdom).
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:31 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

It is the same situation for Canadian citizens wishing to become British citizens ... they have to take an oath of allegiance to the Queen (of the United Kingdom).
British-Canadian? Canadian to British? The same Monarch - You'd think there would be some kind of bi-lateral agreement
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Which is odd, because as a Brit Ive never had to do that...why make them do something the native brits (or native canadians in the case of CDN citizenship) havent.

Just ceremony really innit. If I started a republican movement would they take my citizenship away for plotting against the old biddy?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

It's is a stupid and antiquated concept isn't it, this monarchy? Waste of taxpayer's money. Anyway...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by BILDER
It's is a stupid and antiquated concept isn't it, this monarchy? Waste of taxpayer's money. Anyway...
Its much cheaper than electing a president every few years, and the tourism spinoffs are worth Billions I expect, but other than that...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea of Frenchies in Quebec swearing allegiance to the Queen! I knew a few PR French who were applying for citizenship.

Creases me up every time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.