Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Shogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Thanks for the help Siouxie. Maybe a little trip to the registry office in my hometown in the UK prior to applying will make the entire process easier and more straight forward. We plan to get married anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shogan
Say for instance we do not plan to move for like 3/4 years, can i apply now and her to be accepted do we have to go to Canada as soon as she gets PR? or can we stay in England for a year then go?

Also with PR is she allowed to work etc?
As part of the application, you have to show that you intend to move back as soon as she's got PR. So there's no point in applying until you're actually getting ready to move.

Yes she can work, as a PR she'll have all the rights of the citizen except won't be able to vote. So she can work, retire, study, set up her own business, or anything she wishes really.

Another question lol... Myself and my girlfriend are both in our early 20's and as i said, students. Therefore, we both still currently live at our own homes and do not own a property or rent a property together. Would this eliminate the Common law option? We are with each other every day as we have been for 4 years, i basically live at her house.

What should we do to now to prove we are a legitimate couple prior to us applying? open a joint bank account maybe?
It doesn't sound like you would qualify as common-law spouses then from what you've said. 'Common-law spouses' means that you have combined your affairs and are living in a "marriage like" relationship. Things that CIC will be looking for will be a joint bank account, joint rental agreement, utility bills in both names, joint insurances, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, etc.

If I were you, I'd just wait for a few years until you're actually ready to move, and make sure that before that time, you live together properly and get all the evidence that CIC require.

HTH, good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:32 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help Siouxie. Maybe a little trip to the registry office in my hometown in the UK prior to applying will make the entire process easier and more straight forward. We plan to get married anyway.
Devils advocate mode - It might actually make them look harder, as it could be seen as a marriage of convenience to simply get her PR and then Citizenship.

My, at the time girlfriend (then fiancé, and now wife), who is a Canadian Citizen was fairly sure getting married would aid the PR process and / or automatically grant me Citizenship. I was, correctly, sure that this simply wasn't the case, and it is not.

I was worried as we had just got engaged when I sent off the paperwork, and thought that might not look too good. We had been living together for a few years though, so I think that did help.

In the end it didn't seem to bother them, and I was granted PR via the inland spousal route. Took about 16 months I think (might be less, would need to look it up)

Once your partner has PR, they'll then need to physically reside in Canada for 1095 days (3 years) in the past four years, before you can apply for Citizenship. Once you apply it's typically about a year before you'll be asked to take the Citizenship test, and if you pass, perhaps a couple of months before you can take the oath and become a Citizen, so it's not a quick process, but it's worth it.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Shogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to behold

Okay, so whichever route i take for my GF whether that is Common Law after we have lived together for a bit or as a spouse how soon after she is granted PR do we need to leave the UK and be in Canada? if it's 3 out of the 4 years does that mean we can spend a year in the UK after she is awarded it then go to Canada for the final 3 years and hopefully stay?

Also if we plan to be in Canada for Summer 2016 when should we start the application? Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so whichever route i take for my GF whether that is Common Law after we have lived together for a bit or as a spouse how soon after she is granted PR do we need to leave the UK and be in Canada? if it's 3 out of the 4 years does that mean we can spend a year in the UK after she is awarded it then go to Canada for the final 3 years and hopefully stay?

Also if we plan to be in Canada for Summer 2016 when should we start the application? Thanks
There's two different things here. If you apply for common law sponsorship, you'll need to demonstrate a plan to go to Canada together effectively immediately (i.e. as soon as possible after PR). The other thing is any PR (except those accompanying their Canadian spouse abroad) must maintain 2 years out of every 5 as resident in Canada.

The 3 years out of 4 is to do with citizenship eligibility not PR.

My 2C worth is get married in about 2015. Then just go whenever you like. No faffing about with proving co-habitation etc etc. and that gives you 2 more years to make sure this is really what you both want.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:15 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Your girlfriend is given a date to "land" by. (normally 12 months from the date she took the medicals). Also you have to prove on the application that you are planning to settle in Canada once you land. So I would seriously not start the application until 8 months or so before you are both ready to go.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

bubblybre86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shogun, can i just ask you how long it took for your proof of citizenship to come through?

Thanks