Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Shogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to behold
Default Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Hello guys first time poster so go easy on me

I have lived in the UK all of my life (Birmingham) but my mother is a Canadian citizen through naturalisation as she lived there for over 20 years. Therefore, i am a Canadian citizen through birth right and have just received my Canadian Citizenship Certificate So i am now a dual citizen with UK and Canadian citizenship.

I go to Toronto every year and LOVE it. Thankfully, so does my girlfriend. We are both currently studying at University in the UK and plan to move to Toronto once we have both graduated. This will not be a problem for me for obvious reasons but i now have the problem of allowing my girlfriend to come with me.

We have been together 4 years and plan to eventually get married etc. What are my options to allow her to come with me, so we can both go together at the same time?

Im aware of sponsorship but i think that requires me to actually be living in Canada? We do not want to separate for any period of time so what can i do to enable us to go together? Do we need to be married before planning on moving? If anyone has any suggestions or knows what steps i need to take i would be so thankful to hear them. I want to get it organised now so when we do graduate we can just go.

Many Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:47 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Shogan
Hello guys first time poster so go easy on me

I have lived in the UK all of my life (Birmingham) but my mother is a Canadian citizen through naturalisation as she lived there for over 20 years. Therefore, i am a Canadian citizen through birth right and have just received my Canadian Citizenship Certificate So i am now a dual citizen with UK and Canadian citizenship.

I go to Toronto every year and LOVE it. Thankfully, so does my girlfriend. We are both currently studying at University in the UK and plan to move to Toronto once we have both graduated. This will not be a problem for me for obvious reasons but i now have the problem of allowing my girlfriend to come with me.

We have been together 4 years and plan to eventually get married etc. What are my options to allow her to come with me, so we can both go together at the same time?

Im aware of sponsorship but i think that requires me to actually be living in Canada? We do not want to separate for any period of time so what can i do to enable us to go together? Do we need to be married before planning on moving? If anyone has any suggestions or knows what steps i need to take i would be so thankful to hear them. I want to get it organised now so when we do graduate we can just go.

Many Thanks
If you have lived common-law for minimum of one year and can prove same, she can accompany you to Canada as your spouse.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...nsor/index.asp
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Shogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to behold

What is common law? Does that just mean we are both in a relationship? And can I apply for that from the UK so that we can go at the same time?

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:32 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What is common law? Does that just mean we are both in a relationship? And can I apply for that from the UK so that we can go at the same time?

Thanks
Common law means you live together but are not married. There's nothing to apply for, it just is and is proven by things such ad bills, rent receipts etc, in joint names.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Basically yes. But the "relationship" must include solid proof of a year of living together as common law spouses, not just dating on a Saturday and the occasional how's yer father. Whether or not you're in Canada plays no role.

Edit: I've just noticed the exact title. This wouldn't get your girlfriend citizenship straight away, but that doesn't matter.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 10th 2013 at 4:20 am.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I moved your thread to the Immigration forum - you will get more responses there.

Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As said above, if you're common law spouses (i.e. have lived together for a year or more and can prove it), then you can sponsor her for Permanent Residency. You don't need to be in Canada to do it (citizens can sponsor from anywhere in the world) so you can do it now and both move together.

Have a look at the CIC website for info on what forms you'll need to complete etc - the first step will be for your gf to have a medical.

One thing to note though, is that she won't get citizenship as per your thread title, she'll get Permanent Residency. Citizenship will be at least 4 years away after getting PR, she can't apply for it until she's been a PR living in Canada for 2 years.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
I moved your thread to the Immigration forum - you will get more responses there.

Moderator? Oh God, not another one.

<hearty congrats, well deserved >
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I wondered when somebody would notice! Took you a couple of days, but I think you're the first.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Yes, another one..

Many thanks for the congrats though I'm not sure I deserve them, I think I possibly got it on default lol.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I wondered when somebody would notice! Took you a couple of days, but I think you're the first.
He is indeed
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As said above, if you're common law spouses (i.e. have lived together for a year or more and can prove it), then you can sponsor her for Permanent Residency. You don't need to be in Canada to do it (citizens can sponsor from anywhere in the world) so you can do it now and both move together.

Have a look at the CIC website for info on what forms you'll need to complete etc - the first step will be for your gf to have a medical.

One thing to note though, is that she won't get citizenship as per your thread title, she'll get Permanent Residency. Citizenship will be at least 4 years away after getting PR, she can't apply for it until she's been a PR living in Canada for 2 years.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Thanks for the great reply. So firstly i have to apply to actually be a sponsor correct? Then once they are happy for me to do so i then apply as common law relationship? And she will get PR status?

Say for instance we do not plan to move for like 3/4 years, can i apply now and her to be accepted do we have to go to Canada as soon as she gets PR? or can we stay in England for a year then go?

Also with PR is she allowed to work etc?

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Another question lol... Myself and my girlfriend are both in our early 20's and as i said, students. Therefore, we both still currently live at our own homes and do not own a property or rent a property together. Would this eliminate the Common law option? We are with each other every day as we have been for 4 years, i basically live at her house.

What should we do to now to prove we are a legitimate couple prior to us applying? open a joint bank account maybe?

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:29 pm
Banned

Another question lol... Myself and my girlfriend are both in our early 20's and as i said, students. Therefore, we both still currently live at our own homes and do not own a property or rent a property together. Would this eliminate the Common law option? We are with each other every day as we have been for 4 years, i basically live at her house.

What should we do to now to prove we are a legitimate couple prior to us applying? open a joint bank account maybe?

Thanks
Unfortunately, living together (as if you were married) for a minimum of 12 months is a requirement for common-law status.

I would suggest perhaps your girlfriend apply in her own right for an IEC working holiday visa (unfortunately this years intake is already full) or else come as a visitor and see if she can get offered a job that would enable her to obtain a TWP. Once you have lived together for 12 months (continually) or have got married, you would be able to sponsor her for PR.

Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Unfortunately, living together (as if you were married) for a minimum of 12 months is a requirement for common-law status.

I would suggest perhaps your girlfriend apply in her own right for an IEC working holiday visa (unfortunately this years intake is already full) or else come as a visitor and see if she can get offered a job that would enable her to obtain a TWP. Once you have lived together for 12 months (continually) or have got married, you would be able to sponsor her for PR.

Thanks for the reply. If you are married and are sponsoring a spouse.. do you still have to prove you have been living together?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:04 pm
Banned

Thanks for the reply. If you are married and are sponsoring a spouse.. do you still have to prove you have been living together?
No, no proof of living together, you just have to prove that you have a genuine relationship - by showing how your relationship has developed etc., as you have been dating for 4 years that shouldn't be difficult for you.

Can I suggest you read:

a) The wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

b) CIC Spousal application directions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-how.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.