Canadian Citizenship by descent

Old Mar 28th 2019, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Hollyflynn22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Citizenship by descent

Hey i'm just here to ask questions.

My mother was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada on February 3rd, 1978 to a British Mother and a Canadian Father.
She moved to the United Kingdom with her mother in 1989 aged 11. She has not been back to Canada since.

She had 4 children, Me, My sister and 2 brothers. Are we canadian citizens by descent? Can we claim Canadian citizenship?

Thanks!

Last edited by Hollyflynn22; Mar 28th 2019 at 3:53 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Kanukki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship by descent

According to this website, you likely are a Canadian citizen if you [...] were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was born in Canada.

What does it say when you use this tool? https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amican...ng=en&tui=auto
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22
Hey i'm just here to ask questions.

My mother was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada on February 3rd, 1978 to a British Mother and a Canadian Father.
She moved to the United Kingdom with her mother in 1989 aged 11. She has not been back to Canada since.

She had 4 children, Me, My sister and 2 brothers. Are we canadian citizens by descent? Can we claim Canadian citizenship?

Thanks!
Yes, almost certainly you can apply for Canadian citizenship and it would be granted. Your mother was born Canadian. I had a similar situation with my own 'kids' (now grown up) and I applied for Canadian citizenship for them and got it. I am Canadian y birth, but lived in the UK since my early teens.

Are you thinking of a move to Canada or is this purely a matter of interest? If you want to do something about this, first you must apply for Canadian citizenship, then once granted you would need to apply for a Canadian passport. Once you have the passport, you can trot into Canada at any time and live there - no further actions necessary (apart from customs for any goods you might be bringing with you from the UK). You could also sponsor your wife and dependant children for permanent residence.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ... You should apply for Proof of Canadian Citizenship (rather than a Grant of Canadian Citizenship).

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 28th 2019 at 11:27 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 12:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes ... You should apply for Proof of Canadian Citizenship (rather than a Grant of Canadian Citizenship).

Yes - agree - no need for it to be granted because they are already Canadian Citizens, they just need proof of it to get their passports!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...hip/apply.html
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

mikej1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , I'm a newbie and would like to ask something similar
My parents who are uk born emigrated to Montreal in 64/65 and myself and younger sister were born in this time.
We moved back in 69 and I have no recollection of Canada
I did a few years ago consider moving back to Canada and applied and got a Canadian passport ( not a citizen test )
is there a forum thread that I can read on what I do to come back , I recall there was a buddy system to help me
I am also a postman in the uk and have feelings I would like to continue this trade and work for CP (Canadian Post ) and see there are a few jobs available for letter delivery in Richmond , Vancouver ,Burnaby areas and wonder whether I could be sponsored / taken on by CP and find a place to live etc and start working from touch down more or less.
It would be me on my own and bringing no items other than a suitcase so to speak and starting a whole fresh new way of life
any advice and or threads I can look at
I would be looking to rent a bedsit studio near to work etc and hit the ground running if I could , apply for what I need , bank account , n.i number , if I need to continue paying n.i in the uk , how to claim my pension all those sort of things etc
I don't speak French ,I like walking and driving ( although I may need to take some lessons driving on the other side ) , I am not into many sports but would like a nice idyllic lifestyle that only my work gives me stress and make new friends and enjoy some country side open air and exploring in my wilderness years :-)

Thank you Mike
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikej1965
Hi , I'm a newbie and would like to ask something similar
My parents who are uk born emigrated to Montreal in 64/65 and myself and younger sister were born in this time.
We moved back in 69 and I have no recollection of Canada
I did a few years ago consider moving back to Canada and applied and got a Canadian passport ( not a citizen test )
is there a forum thread that I can read on what I do to come back , I recall there was a buddy system to help me
I am also a postman in the uk and have feelings I would like to continue this trade and work for CP (Canadian Post ) and see there are a few jobs available for letter delivery in Richmond , Vancouver ,Burnaby areas and wonder whether I could be sponsored / taken on by CP and find a place to live etc and start working from touch down more or less.
It would be me on my own and bringing no items other than a suitcase so to speak and starting a whole fresh new way of life
any advice and or threads I can look at
I would be looking to rent a bedsit studio near to work etc and hit the ground running if I could , apply for what I need , bank account , n.i number , if I need to continue paying n.i in the uk , how to claim my pension all those sort of things etc
I don't speak French ,I like walking and driving ( although I may need to take some lessons driving on the other side ) , I am not into many sports but would like a nice idyllic lifestyle that only my work gives me stress and make new friends and enjoy some country side open air and exploring in my wilderness years :-)

Thank you Mike
Here is what you need to do to come back, it is VERY complicated.

1. Make sure your Canadian passport is still in date
2. Book a flight to Canada
3. When the official at the airport asks 'what is the purpose of your visit', tell him it is not a visit and you are returning to Canada for good
4. Pick up your luggage
5. Done!

OK - a tiny bit more to it that that, but you ARE Canadian, so you can come back any time you like. Other things to consider.

1. If you are bringing personal belongings or furniture, you need to make up a 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' list and get Canadian customs to stamp and approve it.
2. You will need to get a SIN number (Canadian equivalent to NI Number) to work. To do this go to any Services Canada office with your id and passport and ask for one
3. You will need to sign up for the local province medical care, which depends on which province you intend to settle in.

LOADS of excellent reading on the wiki pages, have a look. See here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...n_Immigration_
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

mikej1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for a quick reply hurlabrick :-)
the Services Canada office is that something I do when I am in Canada , as opposed to the Canadian embassy I went to , to apply in London for my passport.
Do you have any suggestion about the Canada post , as I would like to ensure I have a job waiting for me if I could
Can you direct me to a link of the wiki pages to read , please

Many thanks
Mike
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikej1965
Thank you for a quick reply hurlabrick :-)
the Services Canada office is that something I do when I am in Canada , as opposed to the Canadian embassy I went to , to apply in London for my passport.
Do you have any suggestion about the Canada post , as I would like to ensure I have a job waiting for me if I could
Can you direct me to a link of the wiki pages to read , please

Many thanks
Mike
The Wiki is on the blue bar at the top of the page - Hurlabrick has already given you the link so follow that and you'll find all sorts of good info. Realistically, you won't have a job waiting for you, unfortunately. It's just not likely that you'll get offered a job from overseas, unless you can plan a job hunting trip first? There is loads of good info in the Wiki about job hunting too.

Do please start your own thread with any other questions, thx.