Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian citizenship after Conditional Permanent Residency

Canadian citizenship after Conditional Permanent Residency

Old May 31st 2016, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

NSimone27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Canadian citizenship after Conditional Permanent Residency

Hello everyone

I am a Canadian citizen, hoping to move to Canada with my fiance (who is English) next summer.

I will be applying to sponsor him as a common-law spouse, and we are a bit concerned about him receiving the Conditional Permanent Residency classification as opposed to a Permanent Resident classification. As a Conditional PR, is the waiting period longer than a PR to become a Canadian citizen (i.e. are two years added to the waiting period)? Or is the only difference of a Conditional PR that we must live together for two years?

I cannot seem to find this answer online anywhere, thank you for your help!
Old May 31st 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian citizenship after Conditional Permanent Residency

This link should help you:

Citizenship: Conditional permanent residence

On October 25, 2012, regulations came into force that require sponsored spouses, common-law or conjugal partners who have been in a relationship with their sponsor for two years or less and have no children in common with their sponsor at the time of the sponsorship application, to cohabit in a conjugal relationship with their sponsor for a period of two years after the date on which they became a permanent resident. Prospective citizens must fulfill this condition in order to be eligible for citizenship. In most cases, the condition is automatically lifted after the two-year period has elapsed (the condition will still appear in Global Case Management System [GCMS] but is deemed to have expired two years after the applicant became a permanent resident.

S