Wikiposts

Canadian Citizenship

Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Canadian Citizenship

Hi

Quick query as I'm now panicking...

I was born in Montreal - left when I was 5, moved to the UK when I was 10, kept Canadian passport till I was 20 something, then had to get a new one - but opted for Irish as they were cheaper to get and I was eligable for one. I've now just recieved my brank spanking new Canadian passport as I'm looking to move back to Canada sometime..

I am assuming as it clearly says I'm a Canadian Citizen, I won't have to go through any permit to work or reside palava???

Please stop me panicking...

Thanks
Bandit.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:54 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship

You were born there, you're a Canadian citizen. Welcome to Canada.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
You were born there, you're a Canadian citizen. Welcome to Canada.
Thanks - I did really know that but everyone else talking about all the forms got me midly panicked for a second!!!!

I even now have a proper birth certificate - born in Quebec in my day, you only got a Baptism Cert!!!!

Thanks for the Welcome too, but I'm not back there YET!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
Hi

Quick query as I'm now panicking...

I was born in Montreal - left when I was 5, moved to the UK when I was 10, kept Canadian passport till I was 20 something, then had to get a new one - but opted for Irish as they were cheaper to get and I was eligable for one. I've now just recieved my brank spanking new Canadian passport as I'm looking to move back to Canada sometime..

I am assuming as it clearly says I'm a Canadian Citizen, I won't have to go through any permit to work or reside palava???
No permit to live or work in Canada, although you may still have to go through hoops to get qualifications recognised too.

Have you also got a British passport? If not you should make sure you get naturalised British before you leave.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
No permit to live or work in Canada, although you may still have to go through hoops to get qualifications recognised too.

Have you also got a British passport? If not you should make sure you get naturalised British before you leave.
I'm Irish and Canadian, so will not loose the Irish side which allows me to reside in the UK no probs anyway.

I've got a degree - is that recognised in Canada? From Uni of Leeds???
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
I'm Irish and Canadian, so will not loose the Irish side which allows me to reside in the UK no probs anyway.
It's always possible that the immigration rules could change sometime in either your lifetime or that of your children (citizenship by descent). It's happened that way between Australia and New Zealand.

I've got a degree - is that recognised in Canada? From Uni of Leeds???
Start at http://www.cicic.ca