Wikiposts

Canadian Citizenship

Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Buckrogers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Citizenship

Hello

I was born in the UK in 1970.
In 1978 my parents immigrated to Canada, I was 8 years old at the time.
Shortly afterwards my parents divorced and I returned to the UK with my mother.

My father remained in Canada, Toronto and during 1979 to 1985 I visited him once or twice per year.
I am pretty certain that my father was granted Canadian Citizenship.
Would this entitle me to Canadian Citizenship?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buck
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:08 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship

No. You were not born to Canadian parents, or born in Canada. You simply resided in Canada for a short period and subsequently one of your parents may have obtained Canadian citizenship.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
No. You were not born to Canadian parents, or born in Canada. You simply resided in Canada for a short period and subsequently one of your parents may have obtained Canadian citizenship.
That is not what the CIC web site states:

If your child was born outside of Canada after February 14, 1977 and you were a Canadian citizen when the child was born, your child is automatically a Canadian citizen.

You can get proof of the child’s Canadian citizenship by applying for a citizenship certificate. If you live outside of Canada, contact the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate for assistance.

If your child was born outside Canada before February 14, 1977, and you were a Canadian citizen at the time, your child may have Canadian citizenship rights.

Unless I take it that my father must be a Canadian citizen at the time of my birth?

Buck

Last edited by Buckrogers; Jun 5th 2007 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:49 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it states quite clearly your parent(s) must have been Canadian citizens at the time of your birth.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Yes it states quite clearly your parent(s) must have been Canadian citizens at the time of your birth.
Bugger....

ta