Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizen with new American Wife...Canada immigration info please.

Canadian Citizen with new American Wife...Canada immigration info please.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

RKOSLOWS is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Canadian Citizen with new American Wife...Canada immigration info please.

Well, I luckily found this website today as I continued my search for immigration information.

This is our story. For the past 6 years I have been working with a TN work permit in New York City (I am Canadian). I returned to Canada in July. Landed a new job. Found a new apartment. And have gotten myself situated and settled here. While there, I met and ended up marrying my wife who is American. I flew down to NY a few weeks ago to get married. She is still residing in the US as she finishes her 3rd degree this month. Our intention is to have her move and get permanent residency here in Canada. So, after having attempted to deal with Canada Immigration with no real answers I am hoping any one of you could offer some assistance here.

1. I have been told that I need to reside here a year as proof of employment before my application for permanent residence for my wife are processed. Is this true?

2. How can I get her up here in the meantime? Work visa? Visitor visa? How can I find out information in regards to this process?

3. We are married...is she able to receive health care from Canada if she is here visiting?

4. My brother who married a woman from South America, while working and residing there, had less trouble to get his wife here in Canada when he wasn't even here. Upon returning, he had no money or proof of income, yet had little trouble getting her here. Why does it seem more difficult for me with an American wife with two undergraduate degrees and a professional degree, and myself with a good paying job?

5. Basically I just want to get my wife here. To live. To be with me. And nobody is giving us straight answers. I am sitting here with the application beside me, and have no clue as to what direction to take.

Can anyone help?

I know this is a long post. If you care to post a response, or email ([email protected]) I'd really appreciate any help someone can offer. Thank you.

Last edited by RKOSLOWS; Sep 8th 2004 at 2:20 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:51 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Citizen with new American Wife...Canada immigration info please.

1. Not true

2. You need to start sponsorship process - either from abroad or from within Canada

3. Not

4. see #1 above

5. You need to evaluate options first and decide which route to take - inland or from abroad.

Originally Posted by RKOSLOWS
Well, I luckily found this website today as I continued my search for immigration information.

This is our story. For the past 6 years I have been working with a TN work permit in New York City (I am Canadian). I returned to Canada in July. Landed a new job. Found a new apartment. And have gotten myself situated and settled here. While there, I met and ended up marrying my wife who is American. I flew down to NY a few weeks ago to get married. She is still residing in the US as she finishes her 3rd degree this month. Our intention is to have her move and get permanent residency here in Canada. So, after having attempted to deal with Canada Immigration with no real answers I am hoping any one of you could offer some assistance here.

1. I have been told that I need to reside here a year as proof of employment before my application for permanent residence for my wife are processed. Is this true?

2. How can I get her up here in the meantime? Work visa? Visitor visa? How can I find out information in regards to this process?

3. We are married...is she able to receive health care from Canada if she is here visiting?

4. My brother who married a woman from South America, while working and residing there, had less trouble to get his wife here in Canada when he wasn't even here. Upon returning, he had no money or proof of income, yet had little trouble getting her here. Why does it seem more difficult for me with an American wife with two undergraduate degrees and a professional degree, and myself with a good paying job?

5. Basically I just want to get my wife here. To live. To be with me. And nobody is giving us straight answers. I am sitting here with the application beside me, and have no clue as to what direction to take.

Can anyone help?

I know this is a long post. If you care to post a response, or email ([email protected]) I'd really appreciate any help someone can offer. Thank you.