Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizen bring family to Canada

Canadian Citizen bring family to Canada

Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:40 am
Just Joined

dazzie71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Canadian Citizen bring family to Canada

Hi

I am Canadian citizen moving back to Canada in the next month. I am married to an Irish girl and we have a son that was born in Ireland. I am wondering if my wife and son need anything to come live in Canada right away or do we need to have any visas, etc so they can live in the country or can they live there as I am an Canadian Citizen? I know my wife needs to get a permanent resident (that is in the process) and I have already started the process of getting my son his Canadian Citizenship - but both are still in progress.

Really would appreciate any advice asap.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizen bring family to Canada

Originally Posted by dazzie71
Hi

I am Canadian citizen moving back to Canada in the next month. I am married to an Irish girl and we have a son that was born in Ireland. I am wondering if my wife and son need anything to come live in Canada right away or do we need to have any visas, etc so they can live in the country or can they live there as I am an Canadian Citizen? I know my wife needs to get a permanent resident (that is in the process) and I have already started the process of getting my son his Canadian Citizenship - but both are still in progress.

Really would appreciate any advice asap.

Many thanks.
If your wife doesn't have her PR by the time you leave (when did you apply for it?) then she'll be able to enter Canada but just on a visitor visa, so won't be able to work or be eligible for healthcare until she gets her PR.

Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:48 am
Just Joined

dazzie71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - will we need to get her a visitor visa before we go or can we just go. We apply for the PR about 5-6 months ago - so it should almost be here.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - will we need to get her a visitor visa before we go or can we just go. We apply for the PR about 5-6 months ago - so it should almost be here.
She doesn't need to apply before she goes, as a UK citizen (assuming she is?) she is eligible for up to six months in Canada.

Hope the PR comes through quickly, that's double the amount of time it's taking most people's at the moment so hopefully it's imminent!

Good luck.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Your son is already a Canadian citizen, it seems ... you're applying for evidence of Canadian citizenship. Not the same thing.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

Citizenship cards take a long time to process, your other option is to apply for a temporary Canadian passport.

Are you also an Irish citizen (or British citizen), and if not, are you aware of the risks of losing your resident status?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your son is already a Canadian citizen, it seems ... you're applying for evidence of Canadian citizenship. Not the same thing.

Citizenship cards take a long time to process, your other option is to apply for a temporary Canadian passport.

Are you also an Irish citizen (or British citizen), and if not, are you aware of the risks of losing your resident status?
Ooohh.....Temporary Canadian Passport? My kids are in the same boat as above and I am currently applying for evidence of citizenship. I have never seen anyone on here talking about temp passports. How would I organise that? (I am in UK)

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ

Does anyone know how we go about temp passports for our kids?

Cheers in advance
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
Does anyone know how we go about temp passports for our kids?

Cheers in advance
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Thank you PMM.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

sandrafach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am newly registered to the British Expat forum and have found this thread.

Both my husband and I are Canadian citizens. We are living in the UK and our children were born in the UK. We are emigrating back to Canada, but are not yet in possession of the childrens' citizenship cards (but the application is in process). We won't have them before we go to Canada.

I have been advised by the Canadian High Commission to get facilitation visas (as outlined in the link above - thanks, first time I've seen that).

I am debating over whether or not I really need to do this. On my husband's recent visit to Calgary (where we will be entering), he asked an immigration officer at port of entry what would happen if our children came in with UK passports and without citizenship cards. She said the children would be admitted on their UK passports if we have proof they are our children.

The High Commission is saying they need this visa to be eligible for health care and schooling. I have checked with both. School is fine - they just need to see copies of their long birth certificate. And though I am pressing Alberta Health Care to ensure I understand and get a crystal clear answer, so far they have assured me that the children will be covered and that they automatically take our legal status and we do not need to provide documents for dependents.

If that is the case, I'm wondering why I really need to get these? (Furthermore, Alberta Health Care covers permanent residents - so what extra use would a 'temporary resident visa' actually be should someone indeed ask for documentation?)

Has anyone been through this process? If so, I'm interested in how you filled out the forms (see below) and what was actually put in your passport or what the immigration officer upon entry stamped in your passport when you arrived?

(Re: forms - so much of the forms seem irrelevant [for example, the guidelines say you need to satisfy them that the time in Canada is temporary; it wouldn't be, as we are moving back permanently.]. Furthermore, I am not applying for myself, it is only my children who apparently need this, so I'm assuming THEY are the applicants - which makes some of the questions tricky!)

Sorry for the tediously long post, but really hoping someone has been through this before and can shed some helpful advice!

Sandra
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:32 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by sandrafach
Hello,

I am newly registered to the British Expat forum and have found this thread.

Both my husband and I are Canadian citizens. We are living in the UK and our children were born in the UK. We are emigrating back to Canada, but are not yet in possession of the childrens' citizenship cards (but the application is in process). We won't have them before we go to Canada.

I have been advised by the Canadian High Commission to get facilitation visas (as outlined in the link above - thanks, first time I've seen that).

I am debating over whether or not I really need to do this. On my husband's recent visit to Calgary (where we will be entering), he asked an immigration officer at port of entry what would happen if our children came in with UK passports and without citizenship cards. She said the children would be admitted on their UK passports if we have proof they are our children.

The High Commission is saying they need this visa to be eligible for health care and schooling. I have checked with both. School is fine - they just need to see copies of their long birth certificate. And though I am pressing Alberta Health Care to ensure I understand and get a crystal clear answer, so far they have assured me that the children will be covered and that they automatically take our legal status and we do not need to provide documents for dependents.

If that is the case, I'm wondering why I really need to get these? (Furthermore, Alberta Health Care covers permanent residents - so what extra use would a 'temporary resident visa' actually be should someone indeed ask for documentation?)

Has anyone been through this process? If so, I'm interested in how you filled out the forms (see below) and what was actually put in your passport or what the immigration officer upon entry stamped in your passport when you arrived?

(Re: forms - so much of the forms seem irrelevant [for example, the guidelines say you need to satisfy them that the time in Canada is temporary; it wouldn't be, as we are moving back permanently.]. Furthermore, I am not applying for myself, it is only my children who apparently need this, so I'm assuming THEY are the applicants - which makes some of the questions tricky!)

Sorry for the tediously long post, but really hoping someone has been through this before and can shed some helpful advice!

Sandra
1. Health Care in Alberta, without proof of citizenship for your children, and as they won't have PR status they won't be covered.
2. Their long birth certificate, just shows they were born and who their parents are, I doubt if the school is going to research their claim to citizenship.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

sandrafach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I've just had this email from Alberta Health Care - they know exactly our situation and keep insisting our children will be covered:

My last email was this:

'Thanks again for your prompt reply.

I have looked at the forms for registration. Although we do not have to provide documentation, you do ask if they are Canadian citizens. I assume that the answer is 'yes' even though they will not have proof of this at the time of their application (in the form of a citizenship card). Also, you do ask us to declare that they are permanent residents of Alberta. I do not know what the point of entry immigration officer will declare them to be if they enter on a UK passport without a citizenship card. It may be that they can remain as long as we are there; it may be that they are given temporary residency until they are in possession of their citizenship card. If our children automatically take our legal status, then why do you ask the question on the form about their citizenship/residency?'

and their reply was this:

'Thank you for your inquiry.

On the Application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan coverage, when we
use the language "permanent residents of Alberta" we are not referring to
immigration status, but merely the fact that individuals are going to be residing in Alberta and are not visiting here temporarily (they are making Alberta their home and
nowhere else).

The additional question regarding citizenship is to cover multiple scenarios where individuals may be registering dependents who are not their birth children and who may have a different immigration status from their guardians/adoptive parents. We still require you to indicate their citizenship, though it may seem redundant.

To reiterate, we do not require documentation (neither of immigration status nor their parentage) to register the children of Canadian citizens.'

I also spoke to someone at Alberta Health Care today, and they said exactly what someone said the first time I called - that the kids are covered, and that what the High Commission is telling me is wrong.

Incidentally, I also spoke to an immigration officer in Calgary (our port of entry) today who said that they can get faciliation visas but they are not necessary, and that we would be asked to go speak to someone in immigration (in the airport) but that if the children were our children they would be allowed entry and that their UK passports won't even be stamped (i.e. they won't be given any temporary conditions).

I'd be interested to know i anyone has actually done this. But without exception, anyone I talk to IN CANADA indicates there will be no problem.

Sandra