canadian boyfriend and son

Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

nikki247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canadian boyfriend and son

hi my name is nikki iam a british citizen with a canadian boyfriend and a 1 year old son who is also canadian. i was living in canada on a work visa for two where i met my partner and had my son. iam now back in the uk as my work visa run out and my finacial situation was not at that time so i returned. my partner is canada and iam so desperate to return to be a family. he works in construction and at the moment has been not working due to the weather but returns to work in march. i was wondering whats the best way we can be a family again living in canada. my partner has not seen his son in 8 months please help
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian boyfriend and son

Hi Nikki, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the personal question, but did you and your partner live together for at least a year? If so, and that was until recently, he can just apply to sponsor you for Permanent Residency which only takes about 3-4 months.

If not, then you'll need to look at other visa options to try and find one you are eligible for - have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). Failing that, you can marry him and then he can sponsor you as his wife.

Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:53 am
Just Joined

hi yes we did live together but it was with sister in her apartment i lived with him for over a year but it was never our apartment. so i dont know how to prove it. iam worried because we dont have alot of money i will get refused, i work here in the uk and would love to work again in canada to support us. do u think a work visa would be better?? and how do i go about looking for a job over there. thank u for replying iam so glad to talk to someone.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Were you on the rental agreement or did you have any joint bank accounts or bills addressed to the both of you at that address?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Were you on the rental agreement or did you have any joint bank accounts or bills addressed to the both of you at that address?
It would appear that the OP and the BF haven't lived together for at least 8 months. "my partner has not seen his son in 8 months please help " So they are no longer common/law. So if she wishes him to sponsor, they are either going to have to live together for a year c/law or marry.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It would appear that the OP and the BF haven't lived together for at least 8 months. "my partner has not seen his son in 8 months please help " So they are no longer common/law. So if she wishes him to sponsor, they are either going to have to live together for a year c/law or marry.
Oh bum, missed that bit. Well spotted PMM. What a shame he didn't just sponsor her for PR when she was there, hope they can find a solution.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, how old are you nikki? If your 30 or under you might be able to apply for a WHV to get you back out there. You and your other half could then rent and start to build some evidence for him to sponsor you
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
Hey, how old are you nikki? If your 30 or under you might be able to apply for a WHV to get you back out there. You and your other half could then rent and start to build some evidence for him to sponsor you
That could be tough. I know Bunac discouraged married couples or parents to apply. Not sure on the new WHV rules with the CHC to LDN though.

Nikki....

My advice...?

You are legally allowed to be in Canada for 6 months on your passport. Move back with your child. Be a family, rack up the months you need for common law status and then get your partner to sponsor you; do it sooner rather than later.

It is a real shame because based on what you've told us you didn't actually have to leave Canada in the first. You could have got Common Law status and then your PR card. It is a real sin when people don't have all the right info. Well I am glad you found British Expats! There are so many great people on here with vast experiences. We'll steer you in the right direction and good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I wondered why he didn't apply to sponsor her before she left or even why he didn't come back to england with you where you could have lived together for a year and he can still sponsor you. There was also an option to extend your twp to a visitor visa - but lets not talk about shoulda woulda coulda.

Options

a) he marries you and sponsors you to come to Canada
b) he comes to England and you live together for a year and he sponsors you that way
c) Bunac visa (or whatever its called nowadays) which is basically a years working visa for the under 30's
d) if your job / occupation is on "The list" then you can apply for pr - check out the WIKI at the top to find out about the list and going this way.
e) getting someone to offer you a job in Canada and then come over on a twp. This will be the toughest one unless you are super skilled at what you do because your prospctive employer has to prove to HRSDC that they have unsuccesfully tried to employ a qualified Canadian. So if you do admin / office work or anythig that basically anyone could do you are SOL.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxye3
That could be tough. I know Bunac discouraged married couples or parents to apply. Not sure on the new WHV rules with the CHC to LDN though.

Nikki....

My advice...?

You are legally allowed to be in Canada for 6 months on your passport. Move back with your child. Be a family, rack up the months you need for common law status and then get your partner to sponsor you; do it sooner rather than later.

It is a real shame because based on what you've told us you didn't actually have to leave Canada in the first. You could have got Common Law status and then your PR card. It is a real sin when people don't have all the right info. Well I am glad you found British Expats! There are so many great people on here with vast experiences. We'll steer you in the right direction and good luck.
Roxy the rules are that they have to have lived to gether for the last 12 months, so on a 6 month visitor visa this won't work. Sure she could go for an extension but you also have to look at what immigration might think upon her arrival.

It would be pretty obvious what the intention was so although i'm sure its been done in the past, I'm not sure I'd want to turn up in Canada and then get sent right back home because technically she wouldn't be a visitor.

Isn't this called dual intent????? Look it up theres been a few threads about it.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxye3
Important to note that you will only have a chance of being granted 6 months if you have a return ticket.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Roxy the rules are that they have to have lived to gether for the last 12 months, so on a 6 month visitor visa this won't work. Sure she could go for an extension but you also have to look at what immigration might think upon her arrival.

It would be pretty obvious what the intention was so although i'm sure its been done in the past, I'm not sure I'd want to turn up in Canada and then get sent right back home because technically she wouldn't be a visitor.

Isn't this called dual intent????? Look it up theres been a few threads about it.
mandymoochops,

Happily I am fully aware of this fact! Duel intent is duel intent. Even I had duel intent when I got my WHV in 2007. Immigration will take into account that her child, as a Canadian, has every right to visit his/her father whether or not they declare 2 weeks trip or 6 months. Families visit all the time, every day, every month, every year. This will allow them time to marry. It also allows them time to connect and figure out their course of action.

CanadaJimmy,

Return tickets are easy and they are a small price to pay when reuniting a family.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Also worth noting that a visitor entry is for up to six months - it may be less.

Is marriage an option maybe?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:02 am
Just Joined

iam sorry guys iam so confused with my situation and really dont know what to do iam 30 i would really like to work there again so i can support myself too. the last time i was there i got a job offer as restaurant manager then got a work visa for 2 years. iam soo desperate to be there i just dont know what to do
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:16 am
Just Joined

what if i apply for a working holiday visa and not include my son on the papers he could go be with his father before i go. my son has no papers for the uk and is just here on his canadian passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.