canadian born to British parents

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 8:44 am
Just Joined

elisha scott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canadian born to British parents

My wife was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in '75 to British ex-pat parents who returned to the UK in '86.

We, (my wife, myself and our daughter), now want to emigrate to B.C.

I would be really grateful if someone could tell me whether the fact my wife was born in Canada immediately qualifies us to become resident in Canada.

Many thanks

Elisha
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian born to British parents

Originally Posted by elisha scott
My wife was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in '75 to British ex-pat parents who returned to the UK in '86.

I would be really grateful if someone could tell me whether the fact my wife was born in Canada immediately qualifies us to become resident in Canada.

Many thanks

Elisha
Your wife is a Canadian citizen. She needs a citizenship card and Canadian passport, if she has not got one already.

Your daughter is already a Canadian citizen by descent - she also just needs a citizenship card and Canadian passport.

She needs to be aware when older that if she has children herself (ie your grandchildren) born outside Canada, they'll also be Canadians but will have to meet the requirements to retain citizenship by age 28, otherwise they will lose it. And the law could of course change by then.

As for you, you will need to be sponsored for a spouse visa. After 3 years in Canada, you can become a Canadian citizen.

Did your wife's parents ever naturalise as Canadian citizens?

Jeremy
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: canadian born to British parents

Originally Posted by elisha scott

Many thanks

Elisha
hey, you guy's are in the same boat as me really, i was born in Toronto in74 to British parents and we came to england in 82, I'm now sponsoring my husband to come to Canada with our son so if you have any questions please feel free to email me or private message me and i will try to help, best of luck