Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Birth Certificates + Guarantors

Canadian Birth Certificates + Guarantors

Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:07 am
Just Joined

SueX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Birth Certificates + Guarantors

Hi
I know this thread was discussed way back in 2001 but things seem to have changed since then.
I'm finding it virtually impossible to get a birth certificate for my newborn, I registered the birth and was told that 3 months later I should get a letter stating that I can request a birth certificate, it's been 6 months since I registered the birth and still no letter. So I thought I'd go ahead and request the birth certificate anyway, but that comes with its own set of problems, I don't have a guarantor that has known me for 2 years. I can get a "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" for a Canadian Passport, but there is no information on whether I can do the same for the birth certificate.

The website http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/birth_faq.htm states

"A guarantor must be a Canadian citizen who has known the applicant personally or the individual who signed the application form, for at least two years; and is confident that the statements made by the applicant are true. A guarantor must be available to confirm this information with the Office of the Registrar General.

The list of eligible guarantors is lengthy, and includes members of provincial regulatory bodies governing professions, such as: dentists, physicians, accountants, nurses and lawyers. The list also includes citizens currently serving as judges, police officers, mayors and university professors.

For a full list of eligible guarantors, refer to the birth certificate application form (*pdf)."

but it doesn't tell me what to do if I have difficulty in finding a guarantor, and yes I tried to call them but the number is always busy.

I can't get a passport unless I have the birth certificate and I can't get a birth certificate without a guarantor....I'm desperate to get to the UK with my baby to visit the relatives!!!!
Any ideas????

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2004, 9:35 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Birth Certificates + Guarantors

Originally posted by SueX
Hi
The website http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/birth_faq.htm states

Thanks
Ok where in Ontario do you live?

This place http://www.gov.on.ca/MBS/english/maps/gic/index.html
list all the local'ish places that might help you.

Select you town or nearest and that takes you to a map and details for instance
For Strafford its

Address: 581 Huron St., Stratford, N5A 5T8.
Hours of Operation: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday
(Closed Statutory Holidays).
Accessibility: Accessible by wheelchair through the main entrance.
Transit: Bus: Accessible by City Bus #1 — Huron (drops off and picks up right in front of the building).
Parking: Ample free parking is available at the back of the building.
Phone/Fax: For general government information call:
1 800 267-8097 Toll free in Ontario

For government services in Stratford call:
(519) 271-9995 collect calls accepted
(519) 271-1007 Fax

For TTY/ Teletypewriter users only, call:
1 800 268-7095 Toll free in Ontario

For Pembroke its

Address: 31 Riverside Dr., Pembroke, K8A 8R6.
Hours of Operation: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday
(Closed Statutory Holidays).
Accessibility: Accessible by wheelchair through main entrance.
Transit: Bus: Accessible by the only bus for Pembroke, which runs along Pembroke St.
Call Upper Valley Transit at (613) 735-8428 for more details.
Parking: Free parking is available on-site.
Phone/Fax: For general government information call:
1 800 268-8758 Toll free in 613 area

For government services in Pembroke call:
s (613) 732-3661
1 800 268-8758 Toll free in 613 area
(613) 732-6998 Fax

For TTY/ Teletypewriter users only, call:
1 800 268-7095 Toll free in Ontario
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I'm in Toronto.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:55 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SueX
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow morning.

Ok don't forget to let everyone know what happen good or bad
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:24 am
Just Joined

No such luck, I called the Government Offices number, they referred me back to the Office of the Registrar General, yes the one which is always busy.

I can get a "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" for a Canadian Passport so why not for a Canadian Birth Certificate?

Looks like baby and I are destined never to get to UK any time soon.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

photoads is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Canadian Birth Certificates + Guarantors

Suex

Did this issue ever get resolved? I am in the same situation and have had enough. For 27 days I have tried to speak to a human being, not some crazy retarded messaging system where you listen (thats when you get through) to options, select "0" to talk to an operator, to be told all lines are busy, or that that is not a valid option press "1" to return to main menu.

Someone from the "Ministry of Consumer
and Business Services" needs to try there own service out as "IT SUCKS" 30 days to register a birth. Its a new baby not a terrorist we have just brought into this world.

Only 3 days before the 30 day period is up aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Yes thankfully the issue did get resolved.
I went to Scarborough civic centre and got a Travel Letter which cost around $25, then I went to the Passport office with my completed passport form, travel letter and ticket and they issued my baby with a temporary passport. We spent 3 months in the UK and only just got back last week. My baby's birth certificate did arrive eventually whilst I was in UK some time around oct-nov which would mean 9-10 months after my baby was born.
Do you also need birth certificate for passport/travelling?