Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In Canada on Work Permit - question about visa for US visits

In Canada on Work Permit - question about visa for US visits

Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:15 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default In Canada on Work Permit - question about visa for US visits

Hi,

I'm about to go to Vancouver from Britain on a (hopefully) 3 year work permit and would like to spend some leisure time in Seattle. Furthermore I'm a pilot and would like to be able to fly from Canada to US without being arrested each time I land.

What kind of visa would I need to last me several years (preferably) which would allow me to enter the US as a tourist without having to fill out a bunch of paperwork each time?

Thanks

Paul
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In Canada on Work Permit - question about visa for US visits

It depends from your nationality. And you should ask in US immigration forum.

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Hi,

I'm about to go to Vancouver from Britain on a (hopefully) 3 year work permit and would like to spend some leisure time in Seattle. Furthermore I'm a pilot and would like to be able to fly from Canada to US without being arrested each time I land.

What kind of visa would I need to last me several years (preferably) which would allow me to enter the US as a tourist without having to fill out a bunch of paperwork each time?

Thanks

Paul
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:56 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It depends from your nationality. And you should ask in US immigration forum.
British
Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:12 am

With British passport you don't need visa to go to US as visitor for up to 90 days.

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
British
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

With British passport you don't need visa to go to US as visitor for up to 90 days.
Andrew
The original poster should ask in a US forum, but I believe the visa waiver scheme does not apply if you plan to arrive in the US by private aircraft (he says he's a pilot).

He might need a regular B-2 visa for that, and would need to be very clear on the application about the reason why, as citizens of visa waiver nations need to give a good reason when applying for a tourist visa.

He'll also need to check the rules/licensing situation for pilots, especially in border regions.

Jeremy
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:34 pm

I didn't even try to answer OP question about flying into US, I only replied to the part of entering US as visitor with British passport. Flying matter into US is beyond me and probably beyond anybody in US immigration forum. But as we all well know by now having a UK passport won't mean a lot for Americans if a pilot with British passport has some questionable for them background. So, it will be much more to it than just UK passport after 9/11 and London attacks when it comes to flying into US space.

I also don't think that OP will be bringing his own plane to Canada, so he will most likely rent one to fly to US - Americans will want to examine him for sure before or after entering US space. I fly few times a year between Vancouver and Portland with my American buddy living down there - plane is his, registered to his name, we both hold Canadian and US passports respectively and at least 1 out every 3 flights we are politely directed to dedicated airfield on US side for inspection.

And post 9/11 alert is not only reason - the drugs trafficking is the major issue also as many smugglers use private or rented planes to do it both ways betwen US and Canada. So, crossing border in private plane won't be an easy and without complications thing anyway.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Andrew
The original poster should ask in a US forum, but I believe the visa waiver scheme does not apply if you plan to arrive in the US by private aircraft (he says he's a pilot).

He might need a regular B-2 visa for that, and would need to be very clear on the application about the reason why, as citizens of visa waiver nations need to give a good reason when applying for a tourist visa.

He'll also need to check the rules/licensing situation for pilots, especially in border regions.

Jeremy

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 19th 2005 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even try to answer OP question about flying into US, I only replied to the part of entering US as visitor with British passport. Flying matter into US is beyond me and probably beyond anybody in US immigration forum.
A citizen of a visa waiver nation appears to require a US visa if flying into the US on a private aircraft:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new..._visa_niv.html

-----------

I am entering the United States aboard a private plane, can I travel visa free?

If you are entering the United States aboard a private aircraft of a U.S. corporation that has entered into an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security to carry passengers under the Visa Waiver Program, you will not require a visa, if you are otherwise qualified to travel visa free. If you are entering aboard any other private or official aircraft, you will require a visa.

How can I find out if my employer can carry visa free passengers on its' aircraft?

You must contact your employer. The Embassy does not have a list of corporations that have entered into an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security to carry passengers under the Visa Waiver Program.

I am entering the United States on a private yacht; do I qualify for visa free travel?

No. If you are entering the U.S. on a private yacht, you will require a visa.

----------

Rules may be different for Canadian citizens.

Jeremy
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:11 pm

Yes, those rules don't apply to Canadians as Canada is not part of visa waiver program - US and Canada have separate border accord.