Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In canada...waiting for Validation letter!!! What now??

In canada...waiting for Validation letter!!! What now??

Old May 13th 2009, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Andy Atkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In canada...waiting for Validation letter!!! What now??

Hi there

Can any one advise me on what i should do? I am in Ottawa waiting for the services Canada(hrdc) to finish their labour market opinion. I have a good job offer here in the trades as i am a tradesman, on e thing.... my visitor status or 6 month stay run out in about 4 weeks time so should i leave and come back, stay... go to the border and ask? Baaaah.... so close but yet so far!!

Thanks for your time

Andy
Old May 13th 2009, 11:58 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In canada...waiting for Validation letter!!! What now??

Originally Posted by Andy Atkins
Hi there

Can any one advise me on what i should do? I am in Ottawa waiting for the services Canada(hrdc) to finish their labour market opinion. I have a good job offer here in the trades as i am a tradesman, on e thing.... my visitor status or 6 month stay run out in about 4 weeks time so should i leave and come back, stay... go to the border and ask? Baaaah.... so close but yet so far!!

Thanks for your time

Andy
You should submit an application to extend your status - that way whilst the application is being processed you have implied status to stay. Once you have your LMO you can apply for your work permit. Have they given you any idea how long you have to wait before you get the LMO? Here in NS they are taking around 15 days max.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:12 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You should submit an application to extend your status - that way whilst the application is being processed you have implied status to stay. Once you have your LMO you can apply for your work permit. Have they given you any idea how long you have to wait before you get the LMO? Here in NS they are taking around 15 days max.
^^^^ exactly. As long as you've submitted application to extend visitor status then you can legally stay in the country (under implied status) until your extension is confirmed or rejected (in which case you will need to leave Canada immediately).

Alternatively you could do a quick trip to US and back to get an extension - however then you're at the mercy of the border official.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:38 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
^^^^ exactly. As long as you've submitted application to extend visitor status then you can legally stay in the country (under implied status) until your extension is confirmed or rejected (in which case you will need to leave Canada immediately).

Alternatively you could do a quick trip to US and back to get an extension - however then you're at the mercy of the border official.
You don't have to leave immediately - they do give you a couple of weeks to try again or sort something else out.

Good luck.